UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:05:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 266133 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: January 06, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »

Just came across this from last month. Don't understand why Scottish Labour is so crap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-20755329

Do you think that's crap because you disagree with her view that free university leads to lower standards or do you think they are crap because they are embracing more right wing views?

They are crap because they send their 'best' down to Westminster and leave their second rate, ex councillors or union patsies to harangue the Scottish people bleating on about the 'Tories at Westminster' in a Scottish election until people's ears bleed.

This I agree with. I was all for Jim Murphy running in the leadership election, but those with ambition daren't look to the assemblies apparently.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #676 on: January 07, 2013, 07:35:27 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/07/boris-johnson-child-benefit-_n_2423292.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

The fact he's the most popular politician in the country makes me sick.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #677 on: January 07, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »

Well it's certainly not going to be Ed now is it Smiley He's referring of course to the axing of child benefit for wealthy families; you know, those who earn two to three times the average wage who are still entitled to claim it. He admits himself he and his wife had received nearly £50,000 over the past twenty years which probably went on his ski-ing holidays.

If he called it an "absurd system whereby low-income people paid in their taxes for richer families to receive this Mussolini-like reward for procreation", then I fully agree with him, because that's exactly what it is. I know of a Tory in my local association who think's it's crazy for him to receive it but spends it on his daughter's pony lessons.

freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #678 on: January 07, 2013, 12:05:54 PM »

What the UK needs is a system in which the best politicians are just as attracted to subnational politics as they are to national/federal positions
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #679 on: January 07, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »

Well it's certainly not going to be Ed now is it Smiley He's referring of course to the axing of child benefit for wealthy families; you know, those who earn two to three times the average wage who are still entitled to claim it. He admits himself he and his wife had received nearly £50,000 over the past twenty years which probably went on his ski-ing holidays.

If he called it an "absurd system whereby low-income people paid in their taxes for richer families to receive this Mussolini-like reward for procreation", then I fully agree with him, because that's exactly what it is. I know of a Tory in my local association who think's it's crazy for him to receive it but spends it on his daughter's pony lessons.

Pony lessons and skiing holidays do benefit children, but should the state pay for them?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #680 on: January 07, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »

What? Did you read my post, or the article for that matter.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #681 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »

I don't understand opposition to what Boris is saying at all. Or is there another side to the argument? Because upwards income redistribution doesn't seem like a good thing.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #682 on: January 07, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »

I don't understand opposition to what Boris is saying at all. Or is there another side to the argument? Because upwards income redistribution doesn't seem like a good thing.

There are certain advantages to universal benefits.  For one, it's harder for people who really need the benefits to slip through the net, something which can happen quite a lot with certain means tested benefits.  Another is that the means testing itself generally involves spending a fair amount on a bureaucracy to run it.

If you have a reasonably progressive tax system, then it isn't upwards income redistribution anyway.  And the stuff about Mussolini is just silly.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #683 on: January 07, 2013, 04:34:42 PM »

I'm not saying that the state should give child benefit to rich families (although I disagree with the way this new cap is calculated). What I am saying is that those things can benefit children; taking a child to Switzerland for a ski holiday is something that they enjoy.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #684 on: January 07, 2013, 08:58:10 PM »

I'm not saying that the state should give child benefit to rich families (although I disagree with the way this new cap is calculated). What I am saying is that those things can benefit children; taking a child to Switzerland for a ski holiday is something that they enjoy.

But is that something that the state should subsidise? Or, perhaps, what if he had chosen to buy a Jaguar or the cellarful of Lafittes?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #685 on: January 07, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »

If this coalition's a "Ronseal Deal", I must assume that 'the tin' isn't the manifesto of The Conservative Party or the Liberal Democrats then.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #686 on: January 08, 2013, 03:13:08 AM »

Or the coalition agreement.

Simfan: it's a universal provision for children - not a targeted re-distribution to the wealthy. It's unlikely the wealthy get more out of it than put in, and if any fairness issues do arise then raise the taxes on them (and not cut them, like the coalition are doing). If it's not needed - fine, piss it away, but it's still no more a re-distribution than any other universal benefit is (like universites, for instance, where they last tried to apply this fatuous argument). 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #687 on: January 09, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »

Alasdair Milne, a career BBC bureaucrat who's tenure as Director General in the 1980s was cut short for political reasons, has died at the age of 82.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #688 on: January 09, 2013, 02:50:30 PM »

Alasdair Milne, a career BBC bureaucrat who's tenure as Director General in the 1980s was cut short for political reasons, has died at the age of 82.

Which perhaps we can be thankful for given his views on women at the BBC.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #689 on: January 09, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »

UKIP sacked their youth chair because of his support for gay marriage, which runs contrary to UKIP's blatant attempt at winning votes off of a moral panic policy.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #690 on: January 09, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »

You can just feel the libertarianism.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #691 on: January 09, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjBec3fpBI

Wonder where this fits in the whole 'strivers vs. shirkers' narrative.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #692 on: January 09, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »

Andrew Marr has had a stroke :/
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #693 on: January 09, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »

Which perhaps we can be thankful for given his views on women at the BBC.

I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of Milne (hey, he banned Brimstone & Treacle), but at least he wasn't an utter disaster like Checkland or Birt.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #694 on: January 10, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/10/mps-vote-to-increase-pay-86250_n_2448503.html?1357840986&utm_hp_ref=uk

Oh Westminster.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #695 on: January 10, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »

If this coalition's a "Ronseal Deal", I must assume that 'the tin' isn't the manifesto of The Conservative Party or the Liberal Democrats then.

No, it's the Coalition Agreement.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #696 on: January 10, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »

"Does what it says on the tin." What parts of the coalition agreement did they tell the electorate about again?
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #697 on: January 10, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »

"Does what it says on the tin." What parts of the coalition agreement did they tell the electorate about again?

All of it. It was published in hard copy and on-line forms upon its signing. It  couldn't be made available before it was written, after all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #698 on: January 10, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »

Trouble is, the government hasn't actually followed it in certain rather important areas. No Top Down Re-Organisation Of The NHS and so on.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #699 on: January 10, 2013, 02:57:07 PM »

All of it. It was published in hard copy and on-line forms upon its signing. It  couldn't be made available before it was written, after all.

Sorry, I guess I'll have to clarify what I meant to make it a bit more obvious, when were the electorate given a chance to democratically elect a government based on such a coalition agreement?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies