Julian Assange, Opinion of,
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:51:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Julian Assange, Opinion of,
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What do you think of  him?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Julian Assange, Opinion of,  (Read 7026 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 07:26:57 PM »

And that was just one charge out of four:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think there's a danger of reading our own views about Assange and the wikileaks project into this; while it is certain that the allegations are being treated as seriously as they are because of wikileaks, that doesn't mean that they must automatically be untrue. Equally those who believe that the wikileaks project is a dreadful thing should avoid assuming guilt. We've really nothing to go on other than our prejudices.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 10:16:17 PM »

I'm going to assume he's the real deal and say freedom fighter.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »

I think there's a danger of reading our own views about Assange and the wikileaks project into this; while it is certain that the allegations are being treated as seriously as they are because of wikileaks, that doesn't mean that they must automatically be untrue. Equally those who believe that the wikileaks project is a dreadful thing should avoid assuming guilt. We've really nothing to go on other than our prejudices.

The danger is to focus on intently on Assange, at all. He's not the information, nor the leaker, nor should he be the focal point. Rape is irrelevant to what we should be focusing on, but it ultimately impacts, obviously, on his future moves. If it does turn out to be an actual rape case, and not some idiotic, politically opportune story, then the best we can hope for is wikileaks moving on without him.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 11:33:27 PM »

Re: Rape and being an FF
So respect for people's rights now counts as fascism? I hadn't heard. Someone obviously isn't defending freedom if they're violating someone's rights.

It's really funny you think defending freedom excludes the necessary part of violating someone's right, no matter how small it is.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 12:19:51 AM »

I separate the two... the sexual assault charges are being brought have NOTHING to do with the wikileaks story (of course Opebo thinks otherwise no doubt).

On the wikileaks front, I don't think he's committed a crime - he's an attention-seeking agitant, but that's not a crime.

The issue of consent in sex is a HUGE deal... if he in any way did anything that voided consent... then it's sexual assault...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 12:25:26 AM »

I separate the two... the sexual assault charges are being brought have NOTHING to do with the wikileaks story (of course Opebo thinks otherwise no doubt).

No, he was set up, the stories are connected.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »

the likely effect of the wikileaks will be a reaction toward less transparency as well as less sharing of information that could thwart terrorism. this seems to even be a part of Assange's strange theories of how to bring down American power.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »

I don't care much of Assange, don't have a particular opinion of him. And for the charges, well may he be condemned to something if he actually committed something wrong about that, not me to judge on that either.

Yeah, the problem is that the sources of our information globally need a sense of security and anonymity. If we cannot provide that, then people will simply stop talking to us.  When are sources of intel dry up- things go boom. 

Yeah, and that's what Wikileaks just showed, that you (and other govts as well, France was concerned too), that you and others were not able to protect some secrets, too bad for you, and others.

Again, people seem to be conflating "Julian Assange" and "Wikileaks."  Wikileaks does not need Julian Assange to function, and will continue leaking on a regular basis with or without him.  Saying that "he" is putting people at risk or whatever is kind of silly, especially for this batch of leaks, which are all diplomatic cables, many of which are years out of date, and are just interesting primary source documents more than anything else.  They might have had an argument about the Iraq/Afghanistan leaks six months ago, but no one cared about those for whatever reason.

I frankly don't care about one way or another about Mr. Assange, but I support Wikileaks, and I seriously hope that the government isn't stupid enough to think that they'll somehow shut down just by taking down Assange.

Yes, indeed, and it's not even only about the 'Wikileaks Project', it's about the 'Internet Project', it's about 'Internet Citizens', 'Internet Reality'. That's why focusing on Assange really is a petty, not to say possibly grotesque especially if some of those sexual things are twisted or blown over to make fall this guy, thing, not to say totally counter-productive too. You cut 1 head and 2 can grow back. After terrorism USA really have troubles correctly handling their problems apparently...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 01:08:26 PM »

Well, considering he has the most talked about penis on the planet, maybe that automatically makes him an FF?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »

I have a very low opinion Assange.  I think he is doing things that put both American interests and American lives in danger.  That is not a prosecutable offense, from everything I've seen.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »

I have a very low opinion Assange.  I think he is doing things that put both American interests and American lives in danger. 

That's precisely what's so great about him.  America is engaged in aggression, genocide, exploitation, torture, and murder in order to further aggrandize a parasitic class who happen to be a worse enemy to the poors whose lives are on the line than Julian Assange.

Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2010, 03:36:59 PM »

Oh, and, about the guy himself, definitely has a romanesque life. Sometimes I really had the feeling it was like in a movie.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »

Oh, and, about the guy himself, definitely has a romanesque life. Sometimes I really had the feeling it was like in a movie.

Yes, fighting a horrible fascism with unbelievable bravery, while finding time to be insouciant, condescending, and a successful cream-pie man.  If I didn't already have a hero (Max Hardcore), Julian would be my new one!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »

Good Lord, opebo, shrink your signature image.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »

I'd say a movie about Assange/WikiLeaks is inevitable anyway. I'm just wondering how the movie-makers are gonna avoid comparions with The Social Network though. Tongue

In any case, it will probably best to let some time pass first... just to see how the rape/espionage (?) will play out.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »

Good Lord, opebo, shrink your signature image.

Ha ha, I wondered if anyone noticed that.  It took me about 20 minutes to figure out to change the image size.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »

don't think much of him, really - he's clearly something of a meglomaniac with a personality that rivals Nixon's - read the New York Times profile - and his absurd sense of self-dramatisation is a little much. And this is without mentioning the alleged rape stuff.

I voted HP.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »

I wonder: If the people voting for Assange as a "freedom fighter" would do the same if his name were instead "Matt Drudge"?
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2010, 11:11:42 PM »

Would Drudge even care to do what Assange has done? He would if he could successfully blackmail the globe.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2010, 04:31:54 AM »

I wonder: If the people voting for Assange as a "freedom fighter" would do the same if his name were instead "Matt Drudge"?

Good lord man, can't you see the difference?  Assange is about to be disappeared and tortured by a vast, all-powerful fascism, while Drudge serves that fascism.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2010, 06:49:38 PM by LunarCare »

I am also skeptical of the rape charges, for reasons that Nate Silver outlines here:
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/a-bayesian-take-on-julian-assange/

Opebo, you've gone over the top in this thread.  Extremely misogynistic comments are out of line, just like extremely racist ones.  Things like [this isn't an exact quote] "The **** deserved it!" are ridiculous.  As are personal attacks on other posters' sexuality.

Cool it brah.  

-The Police State
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2010, 07:16:55 AM »

I think some of Silver's points are pretty off-base to be honest.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2010, 10:04:07 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2010, 10:06:21 AM by Grumpy Grinch »

I must have been reading a different thread  Mein Lunar, cause I didn't see that.  Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies