When should secession be supported and when shouldn't it? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:02:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  When should secession be supported and when shouldn't it? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When should secession be supported and when shouldn't it?  (Read 2965 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: August 10, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »

My view: When a clear majority of the local population wishes to secede, that they will provide protection for the rights of those who disagree and do not force them to leave, they have good motivations for leaving and that they are willing to be a peaceful member of the international community.
I would say that Kosovo fullfils between one and two of those conditions. And this is being generous.

I'd say three. Two is debatable.
And I'd say two (1st and 3rd). Three is debatable (4th). Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »

My view: When a clear majority of the local population wishes to secede, that they will provide protection for the rights of those who disagree and do not force them to leave, they have good motivations for leaving and that they are willing to be a peaceful member of the international community.
I would say that Kosovo fullfils between one and two of those conditions. And this is being generous.

I'd say three. Two is debatable.
And I'd say two (1st and 3rd). Three is debatable (4th). Tongue
I wonder how South Ossetia ranks on this scale. I would say 1st and 3rd, probably 4th.
Given that South Ossetia has never (in the modern era, anyhow) been a de facto part of an independent Georgia, I would consider it unrateable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies