Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:22:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75906 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: January 08, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

I don't care if you don't like what I say. Those people are dangerous, they don't belong to a developped country. I'm fed up of having to "accept" their madness in order not to be called a hack.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »

Jan Brewer just got choked up while speaking about the tragedy. It's always good to see politicians act human.

Crocodile tears from a Republican. It's the new craze. See our new speaker of the house.

Oh, to you especially: go away. We don't need any more trolls in this thread. So go.

Your side has amped up the rhetoric to this point.
Remember good old Mama Grizzly's "hit list"?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/06/sharron_angle_floated_possibil.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQ7ZDUutU4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSyZt1v128w

For God's sake, how can anyone deny that this is what they've been telling people? They may not have wanted people to be killed, but it's just idiotic and careless and backwards to talk like this and not expect repercussions.
^^^^

Some people here are trying to make as if it was some random person being shot by some random psychopath without any context. You can persevere in you denial as you want, if it helps you feeling like everything is all right in this country.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »

Opebo: Not currently, but, it is like a scale. One day, it will tip on the other side, and the left-wing nuts will be dangerous.

You're dreaming.  Revolution would be great, but it won't be happening in our lifetimes.

Not revolution, but a situation where popular anger is canalized and used by the left, and not the right, like currently.

Such a thing has never happened in the entire American history. What makes you think it could ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:10:28 AM »

So she's safe now ? Thanks God.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »

I'm serious. It's one thing to have very different opinions. It's another to use this as a poltics as usual type of thing. Let's just pray/ hope for recovery.

The only reason why such a horrible action was made possible is because of the utter partisanship and the hatred campaign led by the insane right. Those who are trying to make as if there were no correlation are just burying their heads in the sand.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »

I'm serious. It's one thing to have very different opinions. It's another to use this as a poltics as usual type of thing. Let's just pray/ hope for recovery.

The only reason why such a horrible action was made possible is because of the utter partisanship and the hatred campaign led by the insane right. Those who are trying to make as if there were no correlation are just burying their heads in the sand.

...and the fact the kid was insane.

There are insane persons in any country and in any epoch. Yet it happened there and now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »

Palin's rhetoric dramatically banalized violence in politics, and that's why some insane has decided to act.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 11:20:18 AM »

I don't want to get political, but I feel I have to because i'm angry over the Tea Party's treatment of gun violence. Sarah Palin must feel guilty. She deleted her websites containing any incriminating quotes. She ran from this. Considering how cynical and pretentious she is, I doubt it was even out of bad taste - her first thought was probably how much it'd harm her 2012 chances. She obviously sees that she's in the wrong, or she wouldn't be scrubbing the evidence and I doubt she'll be encouraging gun violence again, any time soon. If this had been a school shooting, the kid who posted something like that on their Facebook - even if they didn't do it - would be in custody by now.

I'm glad i'm British. If we had a politician who was telling the public to not "retreat", but "reload" or a British equivalent, they'd probably have broken the law under the Serious Crime Act in quite a big way. They'd have been stripped of the party whip, at the very least (unless, of course, this is some BNP psycho, but that's another story). I doubt David Cameron's 2015 constituency target list would have crosshairs plastered over Wirral South and Bolton West.

I support free speech in almost every respect, but when it comes to telling people to go out and hurt another person (giving them a convenient online hit list and everything), it crosses a line. Even if this incitement is in jest, just to rile up your base... i'd find another political base to be honest, if that's what it takes for them to get excited about political discourse.

Couldn't bee more true.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 04:45:09 AM »

BTW, here is another insane guy who shot a politician. Hatred campaigns clearly have no influence on political assassinations. Roll Eyes

It doesn't exactly help that most of the European press is pretty strongly biased in favor of the Democrats (well...Obama primarily...Europe still loves him).

It almost seems like they try their best to present Republicans and the Tea Party as legitimately evil. (And before you say "well, that's true", that's an opinion to which anyone is entitled, consider that it absolutely isn't neutral reporting.)

No. The American press is biased in favor of Republicans. The European press, while simplistic as it is each time it comes to foreign news, presents the standard vision that would prevail in any normal country.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 07:44:03 AM »

Very seldom did I ever hear anything about the practical problems of Obama legislation.

Take the health program (which I support given no alternative...but it's still irresponsible.) The only thing the European press bothers to tell people is that it gives so and so many million people insurance. Nothing about structural flaws. Nothing about it's complete lack of cost control. And so on.

I've never seen any reporting about what real problems Obama's legislation has...the press is just like a fan group, cheering for anything they can get.

So in your opinion people voted for republicans because of the health care bill's structural flaws ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »

Hillary Clinton:

"We have extremists in my country. A wonderful, incredibly brave young woman Congress member, Congresswoman Giffords, was just shot by an extremist in our country," she said. "We have the same kinds of problems. So rather than standing off from each other, we should work to try to prevent the extremists anywhere from being able to commit violence. The extremists and their voices, the crazy voices that sometimes get on the TV, that's not who we are, that's not who you are, and what we have to do is get through that and make it clear that that doesn't represent either American or Arab ideas or opinions."

Wow, Kudos to Hillary for having the courage to say things as they are.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 05:06:55 AM »

This issue is not about left or right. It's about a mentally sick guy going off. Politics played little or no role in this and if it did, it did not involve Palin, the Tea Party or anything else. Anyone claiming otherwise is being very disingenuous and should reexamine their life immediately. 

LOL
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 11:33:17 AM »

I have been keeping up with Gabby's recovery every day on CNN.com and the news is ver encouraging from opening her eyes, trying to hug her husband, and regaining control over her arms and legs.  I wouldn't be suprised if she is upgraded in the next couple of days to serious condition.  We're long past the 72-96 hours when swelling usually will set in after a shot to the head, so this is very good news.

Really glad to hear that. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »

Great. Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: