The Political Compass (page 4 of 6) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:03:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Political Compass (page 4 of 6) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Political Compass (page 4 of 6)  (Read 23673 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: December 07, 2004, 04:30:43 AM »

Our civil liberties are being excessively curbed in the name of counter-terrorism.
Moderately disagree.  I don't think the Patriot Act has infringed significantly on our civil liberties.  That being said, there have been some instances of abuse and we should remian vigilant so that more abuses do not occur.  Measures must be taken to ensure that another 9/11 does not occur and if that means snooping on suspects so be it.
A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.

Strongly Disagree.  I don't like Red China's system.  Debate is vital.

Although the electronic age makes official surveillance easier, only wrongdoers need to be worried.

Disagree somewhat.  It should be easier to obatain warrants on individuals who have been consorting in suspicious activities.  However, the government should not have access to everyone's information.

The death penalty should be an option for the most serious crimes.

Strongly agree.  My cousin was murdered by a piece of garbage.  I don't want the guy breathing the sam air as the rest of us or have a chance of getting out.
I don't think it is a significant deterrant to crime but it does satisfy my biblical sense of justice.

In a civilised society, one must always have people above to be obeyed and people below to be commanded.

Disagree.  In nature there are hierarchies but this statement smacks of totalitarianism.  Plato, Hobbes and Lenin all abhored the common man's abilities to make up their own mind.  I am not that cynical yet.

Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all.

Disagree. Ars gratia ars.  Art does not need to be represenataice or superficial.  Good art makes the audience delve deeper into the meaning behind it.

In criminal justice, punishment should be more important than rehabilitation.

Agree.  Some criminals are unable to be rehabilitated.  Crime should have severe consequences and prison should be so bad that it deters people from commiting crimes again.
It is a waste of time to try to rehabilitate some criminals.

agree.  Child molesters, rapists etc.  are a disease and should rot forever.

The businessman and the manufacturer are more important than the writer and the artist.

Disagree.  Business and manufacturers place is to create jobs and corporeal well being.  A true artist can instill spiritual well being.  (Corny, I know)
Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers.

Children should be more important than a career for both parents.

Multinational companies are unethically exploiting the plant genetic resources of developing countries.

I am not sure if I know what this means.  India and China have made some of the greatest breakthroughs in genetic engineering that has made it possible to feed their people.   

Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity

Question everything, always.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies