Paul offers to buy Omar a ticket,Omar retweets tweet about Paul's attacker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:56:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Paul offers to buy Omar a ticket,Omar retweets tweet about Paul's attacker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Paul offers to buy Omar a ticket,Omar retweets tweet about Paul's attacker  (Read 2614 times)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2019, 08:46:05 PM »

Also, Kentuckians love Muhammad Ali, a black Muslim.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2019, 09:16:00 PM »

Ilhan Omar is an "intersectional feminist" who wears a hijab.  She's a walking contradiction.  I don't get why so many people think she offers anything valuable to politics.
Actually, there is an interesting two-sided debate about whether the hijab is a symbol of male oppression or a symbol of free female choice. It really matters where on the globe you're having this argument, but in America for an adult progressive feminist woman I'm going to go ahead and say she views her CHOICE to wear a hijab as something that doesn't contradict her feminism.

Not everything is black and white, and I'm getting REALLY tired of blue avatars refusing to acknowledge the shades of gray.

The concept is that women cause men to lust, so women must cover their hair!  I'm not saying it should be illegal, but it's clearly not a feminist symbol.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with not being a feminist.  I would respect her if she said "No, I'm not a feminist, deal with it."
More blue avatar black and white alternate reality. The hijab is an old symbol that means different things to different people. The "hair" tbing isn't explicitly in the Qur'an. I told you that there are two sides of this argument. Go look it up, don't take my word on it. Upon hearing this, you immediately rejected the reality of the situation (that there are two schools of thought) and stood firm on your baseless idea that "hijabs are anti-feminist period and that's that". You've rejected the nuances of the topic altogether, but you're going to re-affirm your expert "opinion" anyways and tell somebody who has studied both arguments that reality is wrong and your opinion is right.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your view on the hijab. I'm saying that your failure to acknowledge that feminists wear the hijab is evidence that you aren't interested in reality, facts, evidence. You should make that point clear from the get-go so that real-world people don't waste their time trying to reason with you.

I acknowledge that some feminists wear the hijab, just like how I acknowledge that some Muslims eat bacon.  People act in ways that contradict their beliefs all the time.

I've done a fair amount of research on Islam, and have since at least high school.  I understand that the Quran isn't 100% clear on how exactly to dress modestly.  The command to wear the veil comes from the Hadith:

'A'isha reported that the wives of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) used to go out in the cover of night when they went to open fields (in the outskirts of Medina) for easing themselves. 'Umar b Khattab used to say:

Allah's Messenger, ask your ladies to observe veil, but Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) did not do that. So there went out Sauda, daughter of Zarn'a, the wife of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ), during one of the nights when it was dark. She was a tall statured lady. 'Umar called her saying: Sauda, we recognise you. (He did this with the hope that the verses pertaining to veil would be revealed.) 'A'isha said: Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, then revealed the verses pertaining to veil.

-Sahih Muslim 26:5397

So basically, Mohammed didn't think women should need to wear the veil but Umar pestered him until he received a revelation that women must be veiled.

In the Middle East, women are either forced to wear a hijab (or something more restrictive) by law or by social custom.  In the Middle East, the people fighting for women's rights are the ones fighting against the hijab.  Feminism teaches that women and men should have the same treatment in society.  Having women wear hijabs, but not men, contradicts that.  The increase in women wearing veils coincides with the rise of more fundamentalist interpretations of Islam.

Of course, people have every right to wear a hijab, because there's nothing wrong with not being a feminist.
Once again...

"It really matters where on the globe you're having this argument, but in America for an adult progressive feminist woman I'm going to go ahead and say she views her CHOICE to wear a hijab as something that doesn't contradict her feminism."

Omar = American in America = not an arab living under patriarch totalitarianism. Your point is generally valid and important, but in regards to Omar and her feminism it means next to nothing and has no relevance.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2019, 09:56:30 PM »

I support politicians becoming violent again. Elections should be decided by combat.

So you'd like Joe Biden to beat the heck out of schoolyard bully Trump?

God I'd pay money for that. Or better still watch Obama whip his Fat apricot ass.

In all seriousness though, Rand is being a go back where you came from racist, and Omar is responding in the lowest common denominator per usual. It's a given to all but his fathers Alco lights and Kentucky Republicans that ran Paul is a Despicable jerk. However, Omar once again goes out of her way to demonstrate that she is by no means an asset to Congress.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2019, 10:05:58 PM »

All the people clutching their pearls about Omar's response to this racist attack need a drink.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2019, 11:14:49 PM »

I support politicians becoming violent again. Elections should be decided by combat.

So you'd like Joe Biden to beat the heck out of schoolyard bully Trump?

God I'd pay money for that. Or better still watch Obama whip his Fat apricot ass.

In all seriousness though, Rand is being a go back where you came from racist, and Omar is responding in the lowest common denominator per usual. It's a given to all but his fathers Alco lights and Kentucky Republicans that ran Paul is a Despicable jerk. However, Omar once again goes out of her way to demonstrate that she is by no means an asset to Congress.
Omar represents my policy views and ideology, so I'm haopy she's there when policy is written and voted in. Politically, as in running her mouth, she can be problematic. I still love her.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2019, 11:17:09 PM »

Omar is literally fighting the good fight, by actually responding with fire instead of retreat.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2019, 02:01:59 AM »

GOP response anytime somebody wants to improve the country is to be satisfied we aren't at the bottom with some variant of "at least things aren't worse", rather than striving to be the best country. Ironic from the "make america great again" crowd.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2019, 05:50:44 AM »

All the people clutching their pearls about Omar's response to this racist attack need a drink.

I'm not clutching my pearls.  In the PC political climate we have now, I don't think Omar deserves a break.

Of course, if we want to drop the PC whining and complaints about "offensive" comments, and just make it "Game on!", I'll not worry about Ilhan Omar's Diarrhea of the Mouth.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies