Homosexuality (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:35:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Homosexuality (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that homosexuality is genetic, or a lifestyle choice?
Democrat: genetic

Democrat: lifestyle choice

Republican: genetic

Republican: lifestyle choice

independent/third party: genetic

independent/third party: lifestyle choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 123

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 24328 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:38 AM »
« edited: December 20, 2012, 09:08:10 AM by Velasco »

His hypothesis is this - there is no actual single gay-gene - so in reality no trait to be passed on - but what does seem to happen is a flood of hormones at a key stage in the foetus' development that triggers an effect in a key part of the hyper-thalamus which control the more primal sexual attraction - which gives a gay man all of the testosterone of a man, and the same physical and sexual development of a man - but with a similar portion of the hyper-thalamus to that of a woman. So they end up finding those traits about men sexually arousing as well as triggered to 'nest' with a man rather than a woman.

This hypothesis can be applied to transsexualism, in fact I've heard it as a possible explanation of the gender dysphoria. I suspect that things are terribly tortuous when gender identity or sexual orientation are involved. We have the distinctive features that define sexes. Of course from a statistical point of view, there are features that are more frequent in men or women but, does they define what is a man or a woman? I think it's perfectly possible a man with feminine traits or a woman with masculine ones without gender dysphoria involved. I remember a test about sexual identity that was on the internets which gave curious results -I took it and apparently I have some feminine traits, according to it, and I'm not gay. I doubt that there's a simple explanation for human sexuality.

Do I feel the need to weigh in on this?
 The reason animal homosexuality does not exist is the exact same reason animal heterosexuality does not exist. Animals don't think and, even more importantly, they don't speak. No animal has ever looked at itself and thought 'I am homosexual'. Animals don't define themselves in function of their behaviour, sexual or otherwise. Animals just plain do not define themselves.
(...)
Back to homosexuality. What is it I've been saying? a) (homo)sexual behaviour is not innate, and b) (homo)sexuality is a construct. Those are not value judgments. Look at like this: (insert any great piece of art you want here) didn't grow on a tree either. Welcome to the human race.

If we admit that animals don't think and they don't have an idea of themselves as individuals, yes: animals aren't hetero nor homosexuals. Simply they are.

As for the last point, I'm not sure if homosexuality is innate or a construct, but I think that not including the 'social construct' option is a serious flaw of this poll. 'Lifestyle choice' is simply an absurdity regarding sexual orientation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies