Homosexuality (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:27:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Homosexuality (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that homosexuality is genetic, or a lifestyle choice?
Democrat: genetic

Democrat: lifestyle choice

Republican: genetic

Republican: lifestyle choice

independent/third party: genetic

independent/third party: lifestyle choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 123

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 24306 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: December 20, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »

Why do Darwinian arguments always focus exclusively on the individual? We don't live in a vacuum, and neither did our ancestors. Societies must be equally fit or individuals will not survive. Perhaps the gays are a force that makes society stronger. It makes a lot of sense to me that it's good to have a small part of the population who is unemcumbered by the need to care for children and are, therefore, able to attend to other matters.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »

Why do Darwinian arguments always focus exclusively on the individual? We don't live in a vacuum, and neither did our ancestors. Societies must be equally fit or individuals will not survive. Perhaps the gays are a force that makes society stronger. It makes a lot of sense to me that it's good to have a small part of the population who is unemcumbered by the need to care for children and are, therefore, able to attend to other matters.

Not sure I completely follow your line of thought, but if Darwinians focus on the individual it is because individuals drive evolution within a population. As in, an entire species just doesn't evolve. Individuals drive that process over a very long period of time within communities, which makes sense when one considers the wide degree of variations within species.
What I'm saying is that it's not only individuals who are in competition mode. Even hunter gatherers didn't walk around solo. They lived in bands. Societies must be fit as well or they will be a victim to inter tribal competition. I'm suggesting that having the gays around may make for a more competitve society.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 01:30:23 PM »

I never said it had to be one gene. We're very complicated creatures. It still makes sense for there to be a mechanism for having gay people around.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies