Should Ralph Shearer Northam resign as governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:15:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Ralph Shearer Northam resign as governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (D)

No (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 210

Author Topic: Should Ralph Shearer Northam resign as governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia?  (Read 10344 times)
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2019, 03:51:50 AM »

Why are you defending black face on an Internet forum?

It's not really a defense of blackface so much as it is a critique of those who are up in arms about it. My overall feelings towards blackface, like anything else, are context dependent
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2019, 04:30:38 AM »

It's not really a defense of blackface so much as it is a critique of those who are up in arms about it. My overall feelings towards blackface, like anything else, are context dependent

You're defending black face to a black person who has explained why it's racist and disgusting. Stop.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2019, 04:40:45 AM »

Northam should have resigned last night, but I expect he’ll step down today. Yesterday he was called on to resign by:
- His predecessor, Terry McAuliffe
- VA State House Dems
- VA State Senate Dems
- The NAACP
- Rep. Elaine Luria (VA-02)
- Rep. Abigail Spanberger (VA-07)
- Planned Parenthood, and every pro-life group in existence (wow, finally some common ground)

The political gravity is too strong for him to go on at this point.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2019, 04:45:22 AM »

You're defending black face to a black person who has explained why it's racist and disgusting. Stop.

Nothing in his post justified his assertion that all humour of this kind is inherently wrong.

Do you agree or disagree that context matters, and that there is a distinction to make between this yearbook photograph and the minstrel shows of the past?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2019, 05:03:13 AM »

Some sources are saying that Northam has no plans to resign.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2019, 05:33:32 AM »

Yes, because he can no longer effectivley govern after this. But that is a conclusion that he himself has to draw, since it's no legal offensive that he can be impeached for like it was the case with Blago or the Erotic Eric.

I do think he's not a racist and if he was, he changed decades ago. However, even if as 25 year old, we should expect better. It's not that he was 14 and did this for fun.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2019, 05:57:20 AM »

Some sources are saying that Northam has no plans to resign.

Makes no sense smh. He must realize that, w/ both House & Senate Democrats calling for his resignation, it's hard to see how he governs when members of his own caucus are calling for him to leave office... right?

As President Johnson said...

Yes, because he can no longer effectivley govern after this. But that is a conclusion that he himself has to draw...

Seriously though, I really can't imagine him staying in office much longer.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2019, 06:44:14 AM »

Nothing in his post justified his assertion that all humour of this kind is inherently wrong.

Do you agree or disagree that context matters, and that there is a distinction to make between this yearbook photograph and the minstrel shows of the past?

The context of the image was a man in blackface standing next to a goddamned Klansman in the yearbook of someone whose college nickname was apparently Coonman. Stop being disingenuous about this. Northsm was clearly insanely racist when he was younger.

It’s not just the image. If he was confident enough to use this picture as representative of him as a student, at a time when Virginia was just about to elect its first African American governor since reconstruction, what does this say about the content of his character at the time?
He seems to be a better man now, but if he refuses to stand down, he’ll have proven that he’s learnt nothing.

It’s time for him to go quietly.

Justin Fairfax is the governor that Virginia needs right now, just as Tina Smith was the senator Minnesota needed in 2018.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »

Yes. I also really like the irony of his black LG replacing him during Black History Month as a result of this.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2019, 09:54:31 AM »

I’m so excited for seven years of Fairfax. A refreshing new start for Virginia
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »

There's a press conference scheduled for this morning, so if there's a resignation coming I'd expect it to be announced then.

Can't find a time for the PC, sorry.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/01/virginia-governor-apologizes-for-racist-yearbook-photo-1144007
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »

From Politico:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »

Most definitely. But not because of the blackface thing, because honestly, who cares
Are you serious? Blackface was and has been used to reduce the identities of black people to nothing more as theatrical characters for white amusement. It is obscenely racist and disqualifying for anybody wanting to serve as a public leader.

Yes I'm absolutely serious, and the fake moral outrage displayed by the liberals on the forum is hilarious. I don't care how blackface "was and has been used" in a historical sense, and something is only racist if done with hostile intent, and this was obviously done for humour. Who cares? Liberals remind me of puritans these days, I swear
There's nothing fake about my outrage. I am black and those images spurred a visceral response in me. Reducing the oppression of an entire race of people into a joke is racist. Racism is not just about burning crosses and committing violent acts. There is nothing remotely funny about the dehumanization of black people. Those images and the stereotypes they portray have had real life and sometimes fatal consequences for black communities. There is nothing about dressing up as a Klan member that was obviously done for humor. You are painstakingly ignorant and tone-deaf.

All of this.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2019, 10:19:02 AM »

Most definitely. But not because of the blackface thing, because honestly, who cares
Are you serious? Blackface was and has been used to reduce the identities of black people to nothing more as theatrical characters for white amusement. It is obscenely racist and disqualifying for anybody wanting to serve as a public leader.

Yes I'm absolutely serious, and the fake moral outrage displayed by the liberals on the forum is hilarious. I don't care how blackface "was and has been used" in a historical sense, and something is only racist if done with hostile intent, and this was obviously done for humour. Who cares? Liberals remind me of puritans these days, I swear
There's nothing fake about my outrage. I am black and those images spurred a visceral response in me. Reducing the oppression of an entire race of people into a joke is racist. Racism is not just about burning crosses and committing violent acts. There is nothing remotely funny about the dehumanization of black people. Those images and the stereotypes they portray have had real life and sometimes fatal consequences for black communities. There is nothing about dressing up as a Klan member that was obviously done for humor. You are painstakingly ignorant and tone-deaf.

All of this.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2019, 10:43:43 AM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »

Key phrase "this morning." If he's still in by Monday, I'd be surprised.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2019, 11:07:43 AM »

Seven years of Fairfax....it would probably be good for VA, but it will lead to a Republican in 2025.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2019, 11:21:21 AM »

Unsure
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »

Wading in quite late to this story

Obviously Ralph Northam was raised a racist hick and acted as such.  I guess the issue is do you believe could he transition into a decent modern adult and govern as such (and seems to have) or is his past too much to overcome.  I'd lean to the former but he clearly has lost many people quite quickly.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2019, 11:23:02 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2019, 12:02:40 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

He should resign, he isn't owed the Governorship. This image is hurtful and trivializes what was America's worst terrorist group. A group who's sole purpose and function was to destroy Black progress in business, politics, and equality.
This. The white men in this thread pontificating about people changing and this “not being a crime” is SICKENING.

So why should Jewish folks view Jesse Jackson's "H----town" comments in the 1984 campaign any more charitably?  And before we go out and say that (A) it's not 1984 anymore and (B) Jackson made that comment (for which he never apologized, and for which apologies were never demanded by wide swaths of the left) let's remember that this is Black History Month.  Jackson's 1984 and 1988 Presidential campaigns will be a part of those discussions; his campaigns in the 1980s were historical touchstones in terms of Black History, were they not?  Will those positive discussions of Jackson's campaigns be a sub silentio endorsement of anti-Semitism?  Will such discussions reflect negatively on the whole of Black History Month and those who advocate its celebration?

Jackson's comments were also made in the context of a Presidential campaign where his association with Louis Farrakhan was on display.  Farrakhan is, perhaps, one of the most vicious haters of Jews in America, and he's at it to this day, but Jackson has never repudiated Farrakhan.  His comment about New York (actually, his comment was about Jews and how he viewed them in his heart) wasn't something he made as a teenager, or even a med student (and private citizen); it was made as a sober, middle-aged man in the midst of a Presidential campaign.  He knew what he was saying, and he knew who Farrakhan was.  Yet he's remained n public life, his Presidential runs lionized in some quarters, his qualifications for a Cabinet position celebrated.  He was never, at any time, requested to recuse himself from private life.  

That I'm a white male does not make my opinion on this subject irrelevant.  Because if it does, then we need to examine the opinions of black folks who are not "racist" (in the sense that they view white persons as inferior), but whose viewpoints are driven, to some measure, by unrelenting resentment toward white people.  An unrelenting resentment that is excused, and even praised in some circles.  A resentment that, whether it's blacks resenting whites, whites resenting blacks, etc. impedes one's ability to be fair in drawing conclusions.  And when political figures have these issues, it impedes their abilities to be fair in their public life.  This standard is applied to Steve King, and that's most appropriate.  This standard is not applied to Ilhan Omar, and that is pathetic.  And that's to say nothing about Alcee Hastings.

The question of whether or not Northam should resign is twofold.  In terms of being able to govern, he certainly needs to consider it.  The firestorm surrounding this is what it is, and too many Democrats have made statements that they can't walk back, while, for the GOP, he's now a gift that can keep on giving.  But as to whether he should have to quit because of something he did 35 years ago that (A) was stupid, and (B) super-inappropriate, but (C) was not a reflection of his real self; the answer to THAT question is a "NO!".  It's an ex post facto standard that, in this case, is not fair, given the totality of Northam's life, and the totality of his record in public life.  

The principle here is one of whether 35 years of living, including years in public life, ought to be voided by a stupid move in college.  It's not as if Northam was the President of his college's chapter of the Proud Boys.  It's not as if he's lived an adult life littered with questionable racist antics.  It's not as if his entire political life has been one where his posturing has been one of being on the side black folks are not on (as, say, Brian Kemp has been).  I suppose perspective and asking people to view the totality of circumstances is ridiculous.

There are liberals galore who advocate passionately (and rightly) for persons to have second chances.  They advocate that convicted felons have second chances in meaningful employment, even when their records involve offenses involving theft and dishonesty.  They advocate that persons convicted of drug offenses in their youth, even felonious drug offenses involving dealing drugs, be forgiven, and treated as if these offenses that didn't happen.  (Indeed, we had a President whose biography involves confessions of cocaine use and even sale, and that was OK with millions of Americans, including myself.)  And I agree with all of this.  People SHOULD have second chances.  People SHOULD be able to live down their past.  Is that aspect in doubt?

In that regard, Northam hasn't harmed anyone; he hasn't sexually harassed anyone, he hasn't racially discriminated against anyone who has applied for employment with him.  He's done something offensive in a stupid moment in college where he used poor judgment, but the barrage of Northam, The Nazi stories hasn't poured forth yet.  That would change my view considerably, but that also hasn't happened yet.

I expect Northam to go.  Life will go on.  Perhaps, however, this episode could bring people to consider that this sort of self-righteous hysteria ought to be tempered with an honest view of the Big Picture and a smidgen of self-examination.  Perhaps I'm aiming high.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2019, 11:23:27 AM »

Northam press conference pushed back to 2.30. I think he’s given himself extra time to fight for his job. It won’t and it shouldn’t do him any good. The state party has made their lack of confidence clear.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »

When is RFK going to admit that he resents the honkies?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »

I suggest that Northam leave the Democratic Party and declare himself an Independent.  He's done nothing wrong as Governor.  He's committed no impeachable offenses.

Gov. Ralph Northam (I-VA).

I say, let it happen.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2019, 11:35:43 AM »

I suggest that Northam leave the Democratic Party and declare himself an Independent.  He's done nothing wrong as Governor.  He's committed no impeachable offenses.

I say, let it happen.

And how does he get anything done? If you don't have backing from either political party, you just can't govern effectively. Not my understanding of public service.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2019, 11:37:33 AM »

I say, let it happen.

I don't know. I heard he supported the murder of untold numbers of babies. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies