What If Callaghan went for October 1978 ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:42:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What If Callaghan went for October 1978 ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What If Callaghan went for October 1978 ?  (Read 6053 times)
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

« on: May 26, 2005, 02:35:24 PM »

What would have happened if Callaghan had called an election in October 1978 instead of the debacle that followed the following May ?

Would there have been a workable majority for Labour ? Or another Hung Parliament ? Or A Conservative Victory ?
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 07:29:15 AM »

Well one thing for certain the SDP would not have happened ? So the '83 and '87 elections would have been different (no split left of centre vote ).
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 12:49:44 PM »

An out and out left wing  (or Right wing) party would have little or no support in the UK.

I f Labour had won a 3rd term in 1983 Callaghan would have stepped down in 1985to make way for a new Leader. Possibly David Owen. Any Thoughts ?
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 04:03:43 AM »

This has always been one of my favourite "What-Ifs".
Callaghan was to admit later on that he had made a massive error in judgement in not going for a October 1978 election.
I agree that he would have won with a majority of around 20 seats.
Callaghan also said he would have had resigned the Premiership mind may through that Parliament. He favoured Dennis Healey(as he did in the real life Labour leadership election of 1981), Healey would have been leader but I wonder what would have happended if Micheal Foot had won any Leadership election if this timeline and become Prime-Minister. What a scary thought!!!

Michael Foot wouldnt have been a bad prime Minister. He was character assasinated by the right wing press. Though I would have prefered Healey.
If Healey wins any election to suceed Callaghan, then I agree with the idea that it would keep the right wing of the Labour Party, so there would been no SDP breakaway, it would only happen with Foot becomes Prime-Minister.
If the Falkland war happens as per our history in April 1982 then if Healey was prime-Minister he would not have fought, but starngley Foot(who backed Thatcher in 1982) would and attempted to retake them.
As for the Conservatives Thatcher would have been out by Christmas either by her own hand or by a forced Leadership vote. Jim Prior, Howe, Hezzez, and Peter Walker would have gone for the Leadership.
This very idea of a 1978 election formed the basis of a 1993 TV programme on BBC2, with interviews with Healey, Callagahan etc, and TV news broadcasts from this world, it was quite good, and as far as I know has never been repeated.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies