Do you personally know a Muslim IRL? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:06:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you personally know a Muslim IRL? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Possibly

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 155

Author Topic: Do you personally know a Muslim IRL?  (Read 10006 times)
vanguard96
United States

« on: November 03, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »

I live in SE Michigan so of course, yes.

My roommate in college is from Pakistan, and is Muslim.
My mechanics are from Syria.
My wife's friend from ESL is from Iraq.
A customer engineer I used to work with is from Algeria, another from Iran, a third was born here and is of Iraqi descent.
The phone salesman we use is a Bosnian Muslim.

I do not see any niqab wearing women in our neighborhood - there may be a few who wear hijab. I do see women in niqab at the grocery pretty often - in Westland the next town over from Dearborn, Michigan where they observe Muslim holidays have night time hours during Ramadan, etc.

Where I live specifically the predominant Arab population is Orthodox Christian mainly from Levant (Syria, Lebanon, Iraq) - and many of them Chaldean with their own distinct language. They are typically very well-to-do with lots of small businesses - car washes, restaurants, convenience stores & gas stations, bakeries. A far cry from the Arab Peninsula immigrants in Hamtramck and Dearborn.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies