Trump's Cognitive Decline.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:07:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump's Cognitive Decline.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Trump's Cognitive Decline.  (Read 7518 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2024, 10:07:54 PM »

he did make a video about it on X, not an ad though.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2024, 12:01:18 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2024, 12:20:40 AM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

The problem with analyzing Trump's communications is that there are so many different ways he fails at speaking (although obviously he usually succeeds in ways that work for his followers) it's hard to nail down exactly what's driving any particular seemingly insane utterance.

For example, Trump has spoken in broken word salad for many years. When he utters something particularly incoherent, is it because:

He just flubbed his delivery, and it's an error anyone might make.

He's ignorant, and and just making something up to cover his ignorance.

He's ignorant, doesn't care about the topic, and assumes no one else does either.

He's has something he wants to say, and is going to force it out, no matter how incoherent it seems, or how much it contradicts reality.

He's so ignorant that he does not understand his own ignorance, and thinks what he says makes sense.

He knows better, but thinks his audience doesn't know better.

He's old, out of shape, and just had a bad day, but there's no underlying dysfunction.

He's taking drugs for other health conditions, and sometimes they impact his speech.

He's suffering from some sort of nervous system disease, and this is a manifestation of it.

I had a long thread about his mental decline in the year and change running up to the 2020 election. It does appear to me that he experienced a significant and obvious decline between 2015-6 and 2019.

As I noted in that thread, he was at his worst in the latter half of 2019, when slurring, aphasia, and apparent myclonic seizures were all very common. Then-President Trump kept a very low profile from late November 2019 to February 2020, after which he campaigned hard for President with none of his prior symptoms.

Myclonic seizures can be the result of nervous system disorders, or a side effect of drug treatments for such disorders.

My best, completely amateur, guess is that Donald Trump does suffer from some such disorder, that he had a treatment regimen that was re-assessed and changed on or around December 2019. Four years on, I would further guess that treatment is no longer as effective, or is having side effects of its own.

I watched very little of Donald Trump after the 2020 election (and his subsequent coup attempt), but I've caught some recent campaign appearances. The myclonic seizures appear to be back, though not so strongly as before (watch his shoulders in any extended video of him speaking), and the slurring is coming back, as, apparently, is the aphasia.

If you want some evidence that he has been diagnosed along these lines, and is either soft-pedaling the results, or has not been given the full diagnosis, he said this just a few days ago:

During the Saturday rally, Trump continued the defense of his mental acuity, stating that he will let people know when he “goes bad.”

“I’ll let you know when I go bad,” Trump said. “I really [don’t] think I will be able to tell you because someday we go bad.”

Editing to add: Here he is in Iowa a week ago (I think he's gone bad):
Harlow

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2024, 12:38:39 AM »

What's happening here?

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2024, 12:46:46 AM »

Sollest I think he's saying smallest. Otherwise no clue.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2024, 03:02:27 AM »

What does a powerful death penalty mean? Starship Troopers mini-nuke to the face?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2024, 04:18:06 AM »

What's happening here?

CSPAN has the full video, and a transcript. In context, it is both slightly better and much worse.

Donald Trump doesn't actually use English grammar, particularly when he's in prophet mode, but here's an attempt to turn what he said into sentences:
We have become a drug-infected, crime-ridden nation which is incapable of solving even the smallest problems. The simplest of problems we can no longer solve. We can't do anything. We are an institute and a powerful death penalty, we will put this on. We have to bring in the death penalty, a terrible thing to say. Each dealer is responsible for the death during their lives of 500 people or more. We must institute the death penalty. It's actually an act of kindness. Mothers will never again be forced to watch their children overdosing and hopelessly dying in their arms screaming, "What can I do? My child is dying."

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2024, 05:03:41 AM »

What's happening here?

"We are an institute in a powerful death penalty".
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2024, 05:15:42 AM »

I guess he's trying to say we must institute a death penalty for drug dealers. Something he's said several times before albeit with coherent language.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2024, 06:11:58 AM »

He is sounding like some of my elderly clients with mild Alzheimer who tell me increasingly incoherent stories from their youth, 50-60 years ago.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2024, 08:07:44 AM »

There is no cognitive decline with Trump. He's always been a dumbass. He's just increasing in dumbassery with age
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2024, 12:58:10 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2024, 01:04:19 PM by Joe Republic »

SInNYC

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2024, 01:15:04 PM »

Well I'm pretty sure he meant Pelosi, just has Haley on the mind.

Even Obama had a slip of the tongue once when he talked about having campaigned in all 58 states. But sh**t like this is just constant for trump. Even here if he had just slipped once and said Haley one could shrug it off - if you ignore the fact that he's increasingly givering nonsense with every given month - but he repeated Haley's name four separate times. That's not a slip of the tongue, that's when your brain is on autopilot senility.

That wasnt really a substantive error. There were 58 (though I recall it is 57) entities in the primaries, covering states and assorted territories like DC, Guam, etc. There just isnt a good word to characterize what those entities are - 'I visited all 58 delegations' is just as wrong. Of course, Fox made it out like Obama was an idiot who didnt know how many states there were.

But yeah, the problem with calling Trump's speeches a decline is that he started so low that there isnt much room for decline.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2024, 01:21:08 PM »

Trump is not in decline, he is just exhausted from the legal witch hunts.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2024, 01:26:10 PM »

Even if it was legal to hunt witches - which it is not! - Donald Trump isn't doing anything more strenuous than hunting Big Macs from his golf cart.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2024, 01:50:32 PM »

What's happening here?

Did Charlie write his speech?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2024, 05:37:27 PM »

He’s completely lost. Unfortunately literally no one loves him so there’s no one to stop this from continuing.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2024, 05:39:56 PM »

He’s completely lost. Unfortunately literally no one loves him so there’s no one to stop this from continuing.

it's always projection
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2024, 06:17:36 PM »

Fran Lebowitz said, MANY years ago, "“Everyone says he is crazy – which maybe he is – but the scarier thing about him is that he is stupid. You do not know anyone as stupid as Donald Trump. You just don’t."

I once thought she was exaggerating. Now though add about four Decades of mental deterioration, and we're starting to see the emperor behind the curtain. He's literally unraveling before our eyes.

And as usual, all this crap about Biden supposedly needing someone to mop the drool off his chin is 100% projection.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2024, 06:40:01 PM »

What's happening here?

"We are an institute in a powerful death penalty".

"All your base are belong to us."
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2024, 07:00:58 PM »

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4432317-trump-says-hell-appeal-ridiculous-e-jean-carroll-verdict/
“Absolutely ridiculous! I fully disagree with both verdicts, and will be appealing this whole Biden Directed Witch Hunt focused on me and the Republican Party,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

I know Donald has never been the sharpest crayon in the box, but I think he used to be able to tell the difference between a civil trial in a state court, and a criminal trial in a federal court. For example, all the times during the proceedings when they said "the State of New York" might have been a hint.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2024, 07:05:20 PM »

And as usual, all this crap about Biden supposedly needing someone to mop the drool off his chin is 100% projection.

The even more important point which I keep making to my 'moderately liberal, but not very politically engaged' friends to vote is that I trust Biden to have smart, competent, good-intentioned people around him, regardless of what happens with his age.

Biden know's that he doesn't know everything. Trump, well...
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2024, 07:47:22 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2024, 07:59:24 PM by Crumpets »

If legal witch hunts exhaust him, how can we expect him to have the stamina to keep America safe from the cartels, the terrorists, and the deep state cabal all at once?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2024, 07:54:23 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2024, 08:44:55 PM »

If legal witch hunts exhaust him, how can we expect him to have the stamina to keep America safe from the cartels, the terrorists, and the deep state cabal all at once?

He obviously cares about his own financial and legal security than the country's problems.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2024, 08:51:05 PM »

He obviously cares about his own financial and legal security than the country's problems.

Touché
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies