Bernie tries to honor MLK, trashes Obama instead (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:04:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie tries to honor MLK, trashes Obama instead (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bernie tries to honor MLK, trashes Obama instead  (Read 4846 times)
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« on: April 05, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »

What context even allowed him to talk about Obama?
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:01:47 AM »

What context even allowed him to talk about Obama?

He's a national politician who is seen as a leader within the Democratic party?  People apparently value his opinions on the way that the party is run

Yes, but he went there to honor MLK not Obama so he was obviously diverted off message somehow.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »

These comments were incredibly tone deaf. I am tired of Bernie's grandstanding and judging by his only 20% support in the primaries, it looks like a lot of 2016 Bernie supporters are looking for someone different.

I think a lot of Sanders 2016 support was more of an anti-Hillary vote than a pro-Bernie one.

i don't agree. I think a lot of people want more progressive policies.

But they want to see it from someone different from Bernie.

On Atlas? Sure. In most polling? Maybe, given that basically every poll has included Sanders and Warren when I doubt both will be running.

It seems events like these make Atlas hate him and view him as a whiny attention whore who'd get nothing done, a general contradiction from his record in the Senate.  The idea that Bernie was the only one fighting on all the key issues has seem to worn out his welcome a long time ago here.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »

How much of a difference would a recession make in the 2020 primaries? With more focus on economic issues, I assume that'd help Sanders but we've never really seen how a severe recession would impact a primary before, at least since 1932.

Regardless, if the black vote in the south was split up in a more crowded primary in Super Tuesday, it'd be less likely that Sanders falls much behind in the delegates, especially with northern states more favorable to him also voting on that day. I could see it turning into a 2016 GOP esque situation, but with a brokered convention more likely due to proportional delegates. Of course, if Sanders wins IA, NH, and NV, not far fetched, it could also be too little too late for an establishment fallback.

YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »

Just watched the video. The question btw was about reshaping the Democratic party & Sanders said the model of the Dem party over the last 15 years have been failing & Dems have lost a lot of seats despite Republicans have a terrible agenda which doesn't resonate with the Middle & Working Class on policies.

If true, then the comment isn't tonedeaf at all. Talk about spin from the Clinton hacks.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 09:54:52 AM »

Oh hey, I agree with Bernie. The thing I'm curious about is where he got that "15 years" number, and didn't go back through the Clinton years. Does Bernie think we were at least headed in the right direction in the 90s and it was the Iraq War that put us on the perilous Obama path?

Maybe he was referring to when the DCCC started making collages pay dues to sit on committees? Honestly the Democratic party was still in ok shape in the 1990s and still won senate races regularly in the upper plains and locally controlled much of the south. Though if you ask me, the Democrats started going downhill in 1980 when they got caught up in trying to raise the most amount of money possible. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies