Conservative Public Universities (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:59:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Conservative Public Universities (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Conservative Public Universities  (Read 7507 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: September 14, 2015, 04:12:25 PM »

I often hear people say that Purdue In W. Lafayette Indiana is conservative as far as public universities go. Although it is to the left of me (I consider it very moderate)  it certainly isn't the University of Wisconsin Madison or IU. Is this because it is a land grant college with agriculture and engineering? What other factors come into play? What other public universities have a conservative or moderate bent?

Is it a general trend in the US that agricultural universities are conservative?
I work at a agricultural university in Sweden and there seems to have been some kind of "cultural revolution" around 2000 or so. Before that there was a tilt towards farmer-ish males interested in technology, since then the trend has been towards people with an environmental interest, mostly females. The European Election result from the precinct covering the student housing next to campus was quite extreme with the Greens and Feminist Initiative gaining half of the vote. Is there any similar trend in the US?

No, not really. There has not been a shift of that kind.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 02:29:20 PM »

I bet Wyoming's universities are fairly conservative.

Laramie is the most Democratic place in the state outside of Jackson Hole area.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »

I did a little more digging.

The precinct where it appears that most of the residence halls are located on the University of Wyoming's campus voted 51-44% for Obama in 2008. This precinct is, in all likelihood, entirely students; only four of the precinct's 2000 or so residents are under 18.

However, this precinct also includes the fraternities on campus, which likely lean conservative. Furthermore, only 24% of Wyoming students live on campus; in all probability these students live outside, in the other, more liberal parts of Laramie, or commute to and from Cheyenne. So Wyoming is still less conservative than Alabama or Liberty.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »

Let's rank the SEC from liberal to conservative!

Vanderbilt
Florida
Mizzou
Georgia
Arkansas
Kentucky
Auburn
South Carolina
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Ole Miss
LSU
Alabama
TAMU

It's my impression that Athens is a significantly more liberal place than Columbia.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies