IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:23:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 64640 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: July 31, 2020, 04:43:10 PM »

Looking forward to everyone saying that Greenfield was a "weak candidate" all the time when she inevitably ends up doing worse than Bullock, Hegar (who loses by 1% or so), and Ossoff (who finishes at 49.5% 0.5% or something like that) and that they saw it coming all along. Tongue

FTFY. Have you forgotten who Ossoff is up against?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #601 on: July 31, 2020, 04:48:14 PM »

You mean to say the "my job experience is castrating pigs" lady isn’t such a great candidate after all?

The only reason she’s even a senator now is because Barley Bales was somehow even worse, and 2014 was... 2014.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #602 on: July 31, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »

You mean to say the "my job experience is castrating pigs" lady isn’t such a great candidate after all?

The only reason she’s even a senator now is because Barley Bales was somehow even worse, and 2014 was... 2014.

The only reason she might narrowly lose now is because of a massive blue wave. Iowa's still a pretty red state, and getting redder.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #603 on: July 31, 2020, 05:47:21 PM »

The only reason she might narrowly lose now is because of a massive blue wave. Iowa's still a pretty red state, and getting redder.

2018 would disagree with that
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #604 on: July 31, 2020, 06:51:00 PM »

This whole thing with the dog could only happen in a state as white as Iowa.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2020, 07:30:16 AM »

2018 would disagree with that

There is some truth to what you both say. The Democrats, for the most part, were successful in Iowa in 2018, as they won several statewide races (Attorney General, Auditor, and Secretary of State) and flipped two congressional districts. Their only failure there was the gubernatorial election, where they came up short by three percentage points. Nevertheless, that failure could be a sign of the Party's future there, and Iowa did trend significantly to the right in 2016. Polls still show Trump as having a narrow advantage there, and Republicans might gain a district or two. Nevertheless, it's clear that Greenfield does have a shot, and Ernst's own errors aren't helping her.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #606 on: August 01, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think the appeal of mainstream, "average person" candidates who aren't actively seeking a national profile is being heavily underrated this cycle, especially after a midterm cycle and anticlimactic Presidential primary that were both largely driven by viral moments and personal celebrity.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #607 on: August 01, 2020, 11:29:03 AM »

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think the appeal of mainstream, "average person" candidates who aren't actively seeking a national profile is being heavily underrated this cycle, especially after a midterm cycle and anticlimactic Presidential primary that were both largely driven by viral moments and personal celebrity.

True, I think this is why you see candidates like Cal Cunningham and Greenfield doing well. Even people like Gideon and Kelly, who have a bit of a higher profile, still come off with that 'everyday' vibe as well.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #608 on: August 01, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »

OMG theres audio too. How could Ernst possibly think that saying her opponent was "taking selfies with her dog Ringo" was somehow an attack and not endearing to almost everyone?

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #609 on: August 01, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »

OMG theres audio too. How could Ernst possibly think that saying her opponent was "taking selfies with her dog Ringo" was somehow an attack and not endearing to almost everyone?

An absolutely ridiculous attack on Ernst's part. I'd rather have a politician take pictures with their dog then accept bribes or engage in illegal, under-the-table deals.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #610 on: August 01, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 07:07:27 PM by LimoLiberal »

Putting aside the Ringo scandal, the Atlas narrative that Joni Ernst is running an awful campaign is pretty weak. She's probably tied or losing if the election were held tomorrow, but that's just a reflection of the terrible environment for GOPers, not her specific weaknesses. Greenfield, however, has run a good campaign in the vein of Cal Cunningham; staying in her basement, raising boatloads of cash and coasting on the national environment, with almost no negative media exposure.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #611 on: August 01, 2020, 07:31:08 PM »

Putting aside the Ringo scandal, the Atlas narrative that Joni Ernst is running an awful campaign is pretty weak. She's probably tied or losing if the election were held tomorrow, but that's just a reflection of the terrible environment for GOPers, not her specific weaknesses. Greenfield, however, has run a good campaign in the vein of Cal Cunningham; staying in her basement, raising boatloads of cash and coasting on the national environment, with almost no negative media exposure.

I would just say that Ernst is making a lot of unforced errors and blunders. Almost every time she speaks, it seems like she says something just.... stupid.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #612 on: August 02, 2020, 12:00:43 PM »

Looking forward to everyone saying that Greenfield was a "weak candidate" all the time when she inevitably ends up doing worse than Bullock, Hegar (who loses by 1% or so), and Ossoff (who finishes at 49.5% or something like that) and that they saw it coming all along. Tongue

Greenfield is a weak candidate, just like Hickenlooper, Hegar, Ossoff, Cunningham, and all of Schumer's other loser picks this time around. Unfortunately, it's also shaping up to be a massive blue wave.

I think Greenfield will almost certainly outperform Hegar and probably Ossoff, and will likely beat Ernst just on grounds of anger against Trump and demoralized/depressed GOP voter turnout. Not that it matters--Grassley will retire in 22 and Ernst will probably just run for his seat and win.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #613 on: August 02, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »

Looking forward to everyone saying that Greenfield was a "weak candidate" all the time when she inevitably ends up doing worse than Bullock, Hegar (who loses by 1% or so), and Ossoff (who finishes at 49.5% or something like that) and that they saw it coming all along. Tongue

Greenfield is a weak candidate, just like Hickenlooper, Hegar, Ossoff, Cunningham, and all of Schumer's other loser picks this time around. Unfortunately, it's also shaping up to be a massive blue wave.

I think Greenfield will almost certainly outperform Hegar and probably Ossoff, and will likely beat Ernst just on grounds of anger against Trump and demoralized/depressed GOP voter turnout. Not that it matters--Grassley will retire in 22 and Ernst will probably just run for his seat and win.

I think that's unlikely. If Ernst loses, she'll probably either go for a rematch with Greenfield in 2026 or else just go straight to being a lobbyist.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #614 on: August 02, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »

VA Republican and MT Treasurer still think Ernst and Collins are safe and they both have been down 3 to 5 pts. Just like Rs said WI was an R state and WI now is a D state
Epaminondas

« Reply #615 on: August 02, 2020, 11:35:16 PM »

Wrong avi colour boi.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #616 on: August 03, 2020, 04:09:32 AM »

Ignore MT Treasurer and VA R, they both still think Collins is gonna win, Gardner and Collins are DOA
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #617 on: August 03, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »

Ernst is her own worst enemy at this point

WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #618 on: August 03, 2020, 02:49:36 PM »

Lol if the GOP loses this seat, it would be the biggest own goal in a long time.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #619 on: August 03, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »

Lol if the GOP loses this seat, it would be the biggest own goal in a long time.

Ironic considering 2014 was won off an own-goal itself.

It does make me wonder if Harkin would be coasting right now if he hadn't retired [sorry, but I don't think he'd have lost to Ernst].
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #620 on: August 03, 2020, 02:57:58 PM »

Ironic considering 2014 was won off an own-goal itself.

It does make me wonder if Harkin would be coasting right now if he hadn't retired [sorry, but I don't think he'd have lost to Ernst].

Yeah, Harkin would have beaten Ernst by 2-3, he’d be on track to win by 7-8 now. I bet he regrets retiring lol. But then again he’s old and was probably tired of the Senate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #621 on: August 03, 2020, 03:22:23 PM »

Ernst isnt Collins, Kelly is gonna have a tougher race than polls are suggesting. CO, ME and NC flips while AL goes R. Senate is gonna come down to AZ, IA and GA
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #622 on: August 05, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »

The new poll came out today from Monmouth with Ernst +3. Given that Republicans tend to outperform polling in Iowa, I'd call this race Likely R. Ernst wins by around her 2014 margin.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #623 on: August 05, 2020, 12:25:33 PM »

The new poll came out today from Monmouth with Ernst +3. Given that Republicans tend to outperform polling in Iowa, I'd call this race Likely R. Ernst wins by around her 2014 margin.

This analysis doesn't make sense for multiple reasons, but also that you're taking the word of one poll, instead of going off the average, which still has a minuscule Greenfield lead. There's literally no evidence pointing to Ernst winning by her 2014 margin.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #624 on: August 05, 2020, 12:43:25 PM »

I mean, even if Ernst wins by Kim Reynolds' margin or so (which I’d say is more likely than not, although not a foregone conclusion), people admittedly had a point about her not being an extremely strong candidate who would substantially outperform Trump or whatever. Even if she’s not weak enough to underperform Trump by more than 1-2 points or so, she’s certainly lucky that IA really started shifting to the right when she first ran statewide.

It’s probably a little like MI-SEN, where Peters' individual strengths as a candidate may have been overhyped and he owes his lead mostly to the national environment and Biden's lead in the state. Maybe motorcycle retail politicking is overrated, after all. Sad
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies