Opinion of Cat Declawing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:20:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Cat Declawing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you support or oppose it?
Support (R)

Oppose (R)

Neutral/Mixed (R)

Support (D)

Oppose (D)

Neutral/Mixed (D)

Support (I/O)

Oppose (I/O)

Neutral/Mixed (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Opinion of Cat Declawing  (Read 4755 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2013, 01:11:53 PM »

Jeez, I've learned not to bring up any animal related topics on this forum...
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »

this thread makes kitty sads 3:
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »

Support in the sense that I don't really care what people do to their animals. We never had ours declawed, but then again we usually found our cats outside from a massive, decades-old feral cat community.

So you're happy if a person rapes their dog? I mean after all it is their animal...

No? I'm not sure how those are at all similar. Ear cropping would be a better comparison.

What does kobidobidog have to say about this subject, I wonder.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »

One of our cats is declawed because she was found that way. One is very young and the other just a couple months old. Both of them have their claws. Our middle cat wants to devote his adult life to fighting the declawing of cats.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »

Why is ripping out their claws bad but lopping off their testicles or scooping out their uterus and ovaries okay?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »

Why is ripping out their claws bad but lopping off their testicles or scooping out their uterus and ovaries okay?

or -- the elephant in the room -- penetrating them.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »

Taking certain organs out isn't as painful because they're in surgery. Think about an overpopulation of cats and dogs. It would lead to more of them being put down and out of homes.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2013, 01:19:37 PM »

I don't even like cats and I think it's pretty sadistic to de-claw, penetrate, or emasculate them.

Seems to me that overpopulation of cats and dogs is a self-correcting problem, and in any case wouldn't exist if humans hadn't plucked them from the wild and fed them till they're so fat and useless that they no longer know how to do anything except piss on the carpet and beg for food.  I do understand their domestication and exploitation.  If I were blind I'd probably want a well-trained service dog.  If it were 1642 and we were setting off on a five-month trans-Atlantic voyage in order to colonize the new property and eradicate the indigenous human population, I'd want a cat or two on board that wooden vessel with me.  Or if I had a barn full of grain I'd want a year-around population of at least one cat.  If I hunted for a living or lived way out in the country where there were no alarms or cops, I might want a great big toothy dog.

I'm not in any of those situations, and none of the folks I know who keep cats and dogs are in that situation.  They're lonely control freaks with misplaced affections.  Consider the typical cat lover.  She is a spinster who doesn't really want, or know how to interact with, human company.  Her parents, the ones who clothed and fed and nurtured her when she was too small and helpless to care for herself, have been placed in the care of strangers in a strange building, far away.  She's lonely so she gets a cat--lonely, mind you, but willing to pay big dollars for not having to deal with her human relations--and houses her cat in her 700-square-foot apartment where it's not allowed to act like a cat.  The poor bastard has no birds to chase or squirrels to harass, so he claws at the curtains, which prompts our hero to have her cat de-clawed and de-fanged, and, lest he get horny and spray the carpets, emasculated.  All because she doesn't want her shit to get scratched up or pissed on.  Here's a clue:  If you don't want your furniture destroyed, then don't go around collecting animals and bring them into your house.  Let them live free and in the wild.  
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2013, 09:06:09 PM »

I strongly oppose cat declawing and feel it should be outlawed. My parents had a Seal Point Himalayan cat that they found as a stray that was already declawed and he suffered greatly due to it.

Was he a Democat, a fat cat Republican, or a Ross Purr-ot supporter?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:42 PM »

Oppose (D).  I am especially critical of people who put their animals through unnecessary surgeries simply because "they look better that way."

I did not spend $10,000 on two German Shorthaired Pointers to not have them cosmetically enhanced to meet breed standards. 

Surely the practice can be no worse than parents forcing circumcision on their infant sons Roll Eyes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2013, 11:28:48 PM »

Oppose (D).  I am especially critical of people who put their animals through unnecessary surgeries simply because "they look better that way."

I did not spend $10,000 on two German Shorthaired Pointers to not have them cosmetically enhanced to meet breed standards. 

Surely the practice can be no worse than parents forcing circumcision on their infant sons Roll Eyes
I can tell ya where you went wrong.  When you spent $10,000 on a f**king dog.  I'm truly happy to know that to you, dog ownership isn't about companionship... but as a way to impress people.

Color me unimpressed.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2013, 11:31:51 PM »

Well... people shouldn't do that either.

And on topic, I would never de-claw my cat - but I do trim his claws.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2013, 11:56:24 PM »

Cats are evil, vile creatures.  Why stop with the claws? 

Anyway, on a more serious note, support, as long as they're domesticated cats that are going to be living in homes and yards. 
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2013, 05:16:54 AM »

Firstly, who would spend $10,000 on two dogs? Secondly, if they're such great breeds, why exactly do they require "cosmetic enhancements"?

You do bring up a good point on the latter. I don't agree with that in the least bit either.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »

Cats are evil, vile creatures.  Why stop with the claws? 

Anyway, on a more serious note, support, as long as they're domesticated cats that are going to be living in homes and yards. 

Did one refuse your advances?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2013, 11:55:52 PM »

Are your cats Democats, fat cat Republicans, or Ross Purrot supporters?
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2013, 03:05:30 AM »

Oppose.

cats > people, it's true.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2013, 03:47:42 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2013, 03:54:58 AM by Old Europe »

Prior to entering this thread I had never even heard of the practice. Further research revealed that it is in fact illegal in my country, which is probably why I was unaware of its existence in the first place.

In any case, its seems pretty barbaric.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2013, 04:35:24 AM »

I had no idea this was A Thing before I think it came up in Atlasia or a poll here or something.

Anyway, disgusting and stomach-turning practice that should be banned everywhere.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »

For those of you against declawing cats, are you against eating cats? I'm against both.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2013, 09:16:25 PM »

For those of you against declawing cats, are you against eating cats? I'm against both.

ah, not really.  Like I said, there are circumstances under which keeping a cat is entirely appropriate.  Living in a regularly-pesticized, small apartment with easily damaged luxury furnishings isn't one of those circumstances. 
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2013, 07:55:32 AM »

Who the f**k supports eating cats? I mean I guess I understand if you're in some dire straits, but regularly? No, just, no. Almost as bad as that proposal to legalize dog eating in Atlasia. (WTF)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »

Who the f**k supports eating cats? I mean I guess I understand if you're in some dire straits, but regularly? No, just, no. Almost as bad as that proposal to legalize dog eating in Atlasia. (WTF)

Eating either one would be awful and disgusting.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies