Bye, bye Morsi? 48 hour ultimatum from the generals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 04:17:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bye, bye Morsi? 48 hour ultimatum from the generals
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Bye, bye Morsi? 48 hour ultimatum from the generals  (Read 12107 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »

Coptic Pope and senior Muslim clerics have endorsed the move. There's also shots being fired at Brotherhood rallies. Question is how Brotherhood reacts.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »

New constitution will be drafted, they'll empower youth in the decision-making process, and will not tolerate violence.

Nice promises... I have a hard time believing they will be kept, though...

Its easy enough for the military to make promises but as we saw a couple of years ago, once they came into power they didn't really want to give it up.
Its very easy to get the military to take up the reins of government, however, its not nearly as easy to get them to give those reins up.

My worry for Egypt is that now with the military back in power, this time with the backing of the public and having defeated the largest political party in Egypt, which happens to be the only political group strong enough to challenge the military, the military junta just might decide to stay in power long term.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2013, 02:38:16 PM »

The Twitter handle egypresidency is calling for Egyptians to resist, we don't know if that's Morsi or not. However he's also saying not to use violence.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »

well the military is trying to give the impression they are not in power they only facilitated a transition, hence the announcement surrounded by civil and religious leaders. Apparently if it falls under the definition of a coup then US law calls for cutting off the money which they would never want.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »

well the military is trying to give the impression they are not in power they only facilitated a transition, hence the announcement surrounded by civil and religious leaders. Apparently if it falls under the definition of a coup then US law calls for cutting off the money which they would never want.

The military can call it what they want, but for all intents and purposes, this is a coup
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »

It looks like liberty and freedom are victorious in Egypt tonight, and although the people may have won the battle, they have yet to win the war.  I'll be anxious to see what happens in the next few hours and what happens in the elections.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »

I'm glad to see Morsi out, but now we wait and see. We know how politicians are with promises.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »

US official says the military has assured them that this isn't a long-term thing. The new interim president, chief justice Aly Mansour, also spoke briefly.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2013, 02:59:16 PM »

It looks like liberty and freedom are victorious in Egypt tonight, and although the people may have won the battle, they have yet to win the war.  I'll be anxious to see what happens in the next few hours and what happens in the elections.

Yeah, because nothing says "liberty and freedom" like the military overthrowing a democratically elected President Roll Eyes
kashifsakhan
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »

I'm glad to see Morsi out, but now we wait and see. We know how politicians are with promises.

I could not agree more. Two years ago the country looked like it was set to become the model Arab democracy, but now its on the verge of becoming another Pakistan or Burma.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »

Yeah, because nothing says "liberty and freedom" like the military overthrowing a democratically elected President Roll Eyes

Who proceeded to become a stone-cold dictator. This isn't exactly the democratic process, certainly, but if the military keeps its promises, Egypt should be set down that path again. It's a dangerously big "if", though.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »

Who proceeded to become a stone-cold dictator. This isn't exactly the democratic process, certainly, but if the military keeps its promises, Egypt should be set down that path again. It's a dangerously big "if", though.
He was still elected though. The proper thing for Egypt to do was to have the Parliament impeach him.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »

The military can call it what they want, but for all intents and purposes, this is a coup

Yep, no fan of Morsi but this coup isn't a development to be celebrated at all.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2013, 04:00:50 PM by Old Europe »

All things considered, I'm glad that Morsi's gone.

Sure, it wasn't done the clean way.. but it's an imperfect world. The alternative would have been more bloodshed in the streets of Cairo, now there's a chance that things come to a rest. For now, at least.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »

I'm a pragmatic. I don't really care about whether what the army did is legal or not (it clearly isn't) - the only thing that matters is whether it will be good for the Egyptian people or not. And I'm still undecided about that.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »

He was still elected though. The proper thing for Egypt to do was to have the Parliament impeach him.

Most countries doesn't have impeachement process.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2013, 04:25:20 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

The fact that the interim president is a judicial rather than military type is comparatively heartening, though from what I've heard the Egyptian judiciary has some pretty big problems of its own.

Even so, 'liberty and freedom' definitely isn't the right descriptor for this, or, for that matter, for the probable results of keeping Morsi in power.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »

Didn't Thailand already had a military coup a few years back?

Yes way back in '06, so we're terribly overdue for another one - because we've had an awful populist (democratically elected) government for several years.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »

Good riddance.  I never expected him to last very long, but I wish he would have been ousted by the people themselves and not the military. History may not be too kind towards this move.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »

It looks like liberty and freedom are victorious in Egypt tonight, and although the people may have won the battle, they have yet to win the war.  I'll be anxious to see what happens in the next few hours and what happens in the elections.

Parliament couldn't do that.

This fall, Morsi granted himself unlimited powers, the power to legislate by decree without judicial oversight or judicial review. And he used the powers to push through a new constitution that he wanted. And consolidate the MB's power.

That's when and why the protests began. After getting what he wanted with the new constitution, and facing massive protests, Morsi then somewhat-limited the scope of his decrees but did not get rid of them.

Morsi decree undermines Rule of Law
http://www.hrw.org/news/2012/11/26/egypt-morsy-decree-undermines-rule-law
Freedom House Denounces Morsi Power-Grab in Egypt
http://www.freedomhouse.org/article/freedom-house-denounces-morsi-power-grab-egypt
Egypt’s President Morsi takes sweeping new powers
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...87d716-34cb-11e2-92f0-496af208bf23_story.html
Egyptian Judges Challenge Morsi Over New Powers
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/w...-retract-edict-to-bypass-judges-in-egypt.html
Egypt Courts suspend work
http://www.salon.com/2012/11/28/egyptian_courts_suspend_work_to_protest_morsi_decrees/singleton/

Now the military has removed Morsi, placed the Chief Justice in power for the transition, and is going to form a committee for a new and more fair constitution with all major factions being heard, and then new elections under that new constitution within a year.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

Security forces have arrested senior MB leadership, per AJE.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »

Morsi and his closest aides are under arrest at an intel facility.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »

The fact that the interim president is a judicial rather than military type is comparatively heartening, though from what I've heard the Egyptian judiciary has some pretty big problems of its own.

From what I hear he's been fairly well-received by people who have useful opinions on these matters, and I'm heartened by reports that a diverse set of groups were consulted on these sorts of moves, but I'm still rather disturbed that a democratically-elected President has been unseated by the military.  Bleh.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »

I'm also mixed on this matter. While I'm happy he's gone the democratic process for installation and removal of leaders etc, must be respected. Even and most of all by the military.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »

Hugo Chavez was also democratically elected you know. So was Ferdinand Marcos in the Philippines in his first election.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies