was killing police officers in apartheid South Africa justified? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  was killing police officers in apartheid South Africa justified? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: was killing police officers in apartheid South Africa justified?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: was killing police officers in apartheid South Africa justified?  (Read 6211 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:52:23 AM »

Of course. Conservatives whine that the ANC did this, but what was wrong? The cops job was to enforce apartheid. There is absolutely no difference between this and killing SS officers in Germany or occupied France.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 11:55:36 AM »

So the French Resistance was wrong for killing SS officers? Or the Italian freedom fighters who killed Mussolini who no doubt also killed some of his blackshirts?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:05:16 PM »

So the French Resistance was wrong for killing SS officers? Or the Italian freedom fighters who killed Mussolini who no doubt also killed some of his blackshirts?
I believe there was a declaration of war.  In such a case, the SS killing French for rising up, or the French killing the SS officers is justified.

If you believe that blacks were justified in killing police officers, you should also believe it was justified for police officers to kill blacks, otherwise you're a hypocrite (but what is new?  you never make sense)

no the blacks were defending themselves against the police who were oppressing them through the apartheid system. If someone enforced apartheid, they wouldn't get one tear from me no matter what happened to them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 12:09:14 PM »

By your logic the SS were fine killing Jews because the Jews attacked them in the Warsaw Uprising. The government started the problem by imposing apartheid. Attacking the government is simply self-defense.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 12:15:12 PM »

then who did enforce apartheid? and who killed all those people at Soweto and Sharpesville?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 12:24:52 PM »

It wasn't enforced.  It was a way of life.  A black person wouldn't dream of going to a white restaurant, just like a white person wouldn't dream of going to a black restaurant.  And if they did, they would be kicked out and that would be the end of it.

so who kicked them out? And then how could de Klerk abolish it if it wasn't in the law? And what about all those white only areas that blacks needed special passes to go to and the laws that said blacks couldn't hire whites in their businesses, etc.?

The police we called in to qualm a riot.  They were destroying many innocent people's shops, stores, buildings, and homes.  Innocent black people's homes and stores, not white people's.

Yeah, riots can start when police attack peaceful protestors.

I sure trust people who have a police chief who made the following statement:
"The Native mentality does not allow them to gather for a peaceful demonstration. For them to gather means violence."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 12:42:47 AM »

Perhaps, but you're saying it like that means a bad thing.  Name THREE countries that are prosperous growing countries with a healthy outlook on the future with a black leader.  Please do.

It would seem to me that the only countries to ever have a black leader would be African countries, most of which are already horrible places to live, so it's not exactly like we have a representative sample of black leaders to choose from.

there's also places in the Carribbean too actually, but the point is made. I'll bite though: Grenada, Uganda and Ghana.

Perhaps, but you're saying it like that means a bad thing.  Name THREE countries that are prosperous growing countries with a healthy outlook on the future with a black leader.  Please do.

It would seem to me that the only countries to ever have a black leader would be African countries, most of which are already horrible places to live, so it's not exactly like we have a representative sample of black leaders to choose from.
And why do you think it is a bad place to live in?  Hmmm?

Because all countries that are predonominately black are either places settled by former slaves who obviously wouldn't have much to start on or in Africa which was seriously screwed up by European colonization. I think Leopold II might have more to do with why the Congo is messed up than the skin color of the inhabitants.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 01:06:22 AM »

True, but the same is true of almost everywhere else, even Europe itself was rather screwed up until about 50 years ago. The colonalization set the African societies back quite a bit when it came to rebuilding them, and created problems even existing today, such as how they drew the borders to countries without taking tribal relations into account at all, meaning that the inhabitants feel very little of a national identity, often just resulting in a dictator taking over. There are also many who believe the Belgians were largely responsible for the Rwandan genocide by creating animosity between the two tribes to make them easier to control.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 12:35:41 PM »

I didn't say they were stellar, they just fit the definition you were asking for.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 12:45:56 PM »

No, absolutely not. Killing is wrong unless you are killing to prevent physical harm from coming to yourself or others. Being forced to use seperate, trashy facilities is not an excuse.

Sharpeville and Soweto?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies