OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:59:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Author Topic: OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread  (Read 29949 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: August 22, 2008, 10:53:40 PM »

Kaine would have little impact in Virginia.  Obama has been polling consistently competitive there, I think you are seriously misreading this.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #476 on: August 22, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »

Yes, it does.  There will be de-emphasis south of the Potomac.  The race will be in these states:  MI, OH, PA, NM, NH, CO.  Depending on the GOP Veep choice, PA might be de-emphasized.

That'd be bad news for Obama, who would need to win 5 out of 6.

Not sure what VP choice would deemphasize Pennsylvania other than Rendell. Sure, Ridge would bump McCain about a point in PA (though he probably hurts in the T), but it'd still be very much a swing state, still leaning slightly Dem relative to the national average.

Obama's making a big mistake if he's truly giving up on VA. Not that he needs it to win, but he's cutting it awfully close if he's putting all his chips on the Kerry states plus IA/NM/CO as his only victory scenario for winning without Ohio.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #477 on: August 22, 2008, 11:00:20 PM »

Yes, it does.  There will be de-emphasis south of the Potomac.  The race will be in these states:  MI, OH, PA, NM, NH, CO.  Depending on the GOP Veep choice, PA might be de-emphasized.

VA's been polling dead even, and it has enough electoral votes to really matter.  I agree that he's pulling out of most of the South, including NC and (thank God, finally) GA, and will probably only make token flirtations to Florida, but he's not giving up on the Old Dominion.  Not yet, anyway.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #478 on: August 22, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »

That'd be bad news for Obama, who would need to win 5 out of 6.

Not sure what VP choice would deemphasize Pennsylvania other than Rendell. Sure, Ridge would bump McCain about a point in PA (though he probably hurts in the T), but it'd still be very much a swing state, still leaning slightly Dem relative to the national average.

Obama's making a big mistake if he's truly giving up on VA. Not that he needs it to win, but he's cutting it awfully close if he's putting all his chips on the Kerry states plus IA/NM/CO as his only victory scenario for winning without Ohio.

Considering that it is one of his 3 or 4 potential paths to 270 it would be stupid to pull out of VA so early. Plus, as long as he keeps it competitive it will force McCain to spend money in the expensive DC media market in September when he will be stuck with public financing.

I haven't totally given up on Florida yet, some pundits are predicting that Biden will help there, but we'll have to wait until after the conventions to determine if it is worth throwing all of this money into that state.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #479 on: August 22, 2008, 11:07:14 PM »

Last month he was spending $1 million in Georgia, this week he's pulling out of Virginia... yeah right. I do not buy these sudden, schiziophrenic swings from one extreme to the other.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #480 on: August 22, 2008, 11:09:12 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2008, 11:13:05 PM by Politico »

Gore's the one.

---------------------------

"Obviously, the most important question is: Is this person ready to be president? Can this person help me govern? Are they going to be an effective partner in creating the kind of economic opportunity here at home and guiding us through some dangerous waters internationally? I want somebody who is going to be able to challenge my thinking and not simply be a yes person when it comes to policymaking."

- Obama
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #481 on: August 22, 2008, 11:11:09 PM »

Gore's the one.

"Obviously, the most important question is: Is this person ready to be president? Can this person help me govern? Are they going to be an effective partner in creating the kind of economic opportunity here at home and guiding us through some dangerous waters internationally? I want somebody who is going to be able to challenge my thinking and not simply be a yes person when it comes to policymaking."

- Obama

Honestly...I dont see why people would be excited if it somehow was Gore...and I dont know why he'd accept in the first place after being Vice-President once already and failed to win the 2000 Presidential Election.

Just...no.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #482 on: August 22, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2008, 11:16:36 PM by Politico »

Gore's the one.

- Obama

Honestly...I dont see why people would be excited if it somehow was Gore...and I dont know why he'd accept in the first place after being Vice-President once already and failed to win the 2000 Presidential Election.

Just...no.

Watch this video to see why people will be excited that it is Gore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lmeJaKZwHI

Why will Obama choose Gore? Because Obama needs Gore's experience and broad appeal to Dean Demcorats, Clinton Democrats and Lieberman Democrats alike. Why has Gore accepted? Because Gore knows that we need the change that only Obama will provide, and because he knows being his running mate will help him. It helps that if something happens to Obama, Gore will become president, a role he has always desired and no doubt still desires.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #483 on: August 22, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »

I think Gore would get people pretty excited - especially the media and everyone getting the text messages.  He's Obama's last ace up the sleeve I think. 

But there is no indication that Gore wants the job (he says he doesn't) or that said quote represents anything  uniquely Gorely.   Also, Gore doesn't really fit into the convention day's theme of national security and veteran's affairs.

That quote has been posted a few times in this thread already.  If anything, the quote points towards Chet Edwdards.

It's still 80%+ likely to be Biden at this point.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #484 on: August 22, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »

Here's a big one:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/08/us-secret-servi.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #485 on: August 22, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »

Last month he was spending $1 million in Georgia, this week he's pulling out of Virginia... yeah right. I do not buy these sudden, schiziophrenic swings from one extreme to the other.

Again, why are so many of you convinces that he is "pulling out" of Virginia?

He is simply "suspending" his ads in multiple states during the convention, and may possibly resume advertising once the convention is over in some of these.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #486 on: August 22, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »

Have you ever posted about anything other than Gore?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #487 on: August 22, 2008, 11:20:02 PM »

Why couldn't Obama announce him this evening?  He already started telling the other VP's.

I wonder if there were some complications, possibly indicated by the Obama campaign's mixed messages and Gibb's scheduled and then canceled early morning shows tomorrow.

Now I don't even care about the text message.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #488 on: August 22, 2008, 11:22:56 PM »

Picking Biden means that the obvious counter is that McCain will pick Romney.

Talk about an "a-hole" debate.  That would be quite entertaining, actually.
Conan
conan

« Reply #489 on: August 22, 2008, 11:28:12 PM »

Biden performed pretty well in the primary debates.......he even won a few according to the media. And I never thought Biden qualified as an a-hole? He's not very arrogant and snipey like Romney is.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #490 on: August 22, 2008, 11:28:46 PM »

True. That's two real a$$holes. It's going to be a fun and muddy fall. Cheesy

Oh, and my personal view was that Obama needed an a-hole, so right on.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #491 on: August 22, 2008, 11:29:48 PM »

Secret Service is being openly dispatched to Biden's home and is already secretly protecting the real running mate, who is already in Illinois.

Link?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2008, 11:32:45 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2008, 11:38:03 PM by Politico »

Secret Service is being openly dispatched to Biden's home and is already secretly protecting the real running mate, who is already in Illinois.

Link?

Link? Maybe it's the actual truth, maybe it's not. Maybe it's just a theory...

Your guess is as good as mine. I like to think that the secret service is more secretive than they're appearing right now.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »

Biden is a really good pick. He's been my choice for Obama's VP for months now.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #494 on: August 22, 2008, 11:37:38 PM »

Link?

U.S. Secret Service on Way to Biden's House; Kaine and Bayh Told Nope on Veep

August 22, 2008 10:50 PM

The United States Secret Service has dispatched a protective detail to assume the immediate protection of Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., a source tells ABC News, indicating in all likelihood that Biden has been officially notified that Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, has selected him to be his running mate.

Sources also tell ABC News that two others said to be finalists for the position of Obama's running mate -- Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., and Virginia Gov Tim Kaine -- have been told they have not been selected for the vice presidential slot.

Kaine flew to Denver earlier today, is in Denver tonight and has no plans to leave in the next 24 hours. Bayh is at his Washington, DC, home with his family.

Biden was last seen minutes ago at his Wilmington estate where his extended brood is gathering.

The Obama campaign would not comment, but Obama mentioned Biden twice in speeches on the trail this week, both times heralding his legislative leadersip in East Asia.

At the VFW convention in Orlando, Florida, on Tuesday, Obama said, "we must help Georgia rebuild that which has been destroyed. That is why I’m proud to join my friend, Senator Joe Biden, in calling for an additional $1 billion in reconstruction assistance for the people of Georgia."

And in Chesapeake, Virginia, Friday night, Obama heralded Biden's efforts to provide economic assistance to Afghanistan.

"I joined with people like Joe Biden to increase a billion dollars of investment," he said.

-- ABC News' Ann Compton, Matt Jaffe, Jay Shaylor, and Jake Tapper
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #495 on: August 22, 2008, 11:42:05 PM »

The Secret Service are a serious government agency.  Unless they had reason to believe there was an imminent threat on Biden, they wouldn't go to protect him on a lark from Obama.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #496 on: August 22, 2008, 11:42:31 PM »

Link?

U.S. Secret Service on Way to Biden's House; Kaine and Bayh Told Nope on Veep

August 22, 2008 10:50 PM

The United States Secret Service has dispatched a protective detail to assume the immediate protection of Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., a source tells ABC News, indicating in all likelihood that Biden has been officially notified that Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, has selected him to be his running mate.

Ummmm.....I already posted that, and the question wasn't about the Secret Service protecting Biden.  It was about Politico's crazy theory that the Secret Service was pretending that Biden was the running mate while the real running mate was in Illinois.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #497 on: August 22, 2008, 11:45:47 PM »

The Secret Service are a serious government agency.  Unless they had reason to believe there was an imminent threat on Biden, they wouldn't go to protect him on a lark from Obama.

Clearly not a lark, but maybe as a smoke screen?

Also, maybe there is an imminent threat on Biden simply by him being the last of the supposed Big Three front runners who has not had a leak saying he was told he is not the running mate. Maybe Biden was told he was not the guy by Obama earlier today, but unlike Bayh and Kaine and Clinton, he is actually coming through on his promise not to tell anybody the nature of their conversation.
Vsanto5
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: 3.23

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #498 on: August 22, 2008, 11:46:46 PM »

CNN confirms that Joe Biden will be Barack Obama's Vice President of the United States.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #499 on: August 22, 2008, 11:47:23 PM »

CNN confirms that Joe Biden will be Barack Obama's Vice President of the United States.

Obama just made the biggest mistake of his political career.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies