MAINE (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:03:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  MAINE (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MAINE  (Read 2220 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: February 10, 2008, 12:42:59 AM »

Obama is the only candidate to visit the state

Clinton was just in Lewiston, ME earlier today.

Was she? I missed that...so now they both have visited the state. Do you know how big of a crowd she brought out?

About 1,000, compared to Obama's crowd of 6,000-7,000 (which was particularly embarrassing in that Lewiston-Auburn is bigger than Bangor and closer to Portland).

As for why they're both ignoring Portland, it's because the rest of the state dislikes Portland and is annoyed at people who think Portland is Maine. Any candidate who only showed their face in Portland would lose votes everywhere to the north and east.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »

Im assuming that just means the first opens at 1 and the last clsoes at 8?

About half of the caucuses open at 1, and another quarter at 2, so we'll have lots of anecdotal reports early on. I believe the last to open is Bath, at 6, which means 8 would be the latest possible ending (if Bath takes two hours).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »

Do the French Mainers vote as an ethnic bloc? And is it overwhelmingly for one party or another?

Democrats, generally. The town map on this website illustrates this well, with the Democratic vote in Aroostook County concentrated up at the border with (French speaking areas of) New Brunswick.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 01:06:55 PM »

This might be slightly more favorable to Obama than the final result, but here's a prediction map:

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2008, 01:59:03 PM by Verily »

Do the French Mainers vote as an ethnic bloc? And is it overwhelmingly for one party or another?

Democrats, generally. The town map on this website illustrates this well, with the Democratic vote in Aroostook County concentrated up at the border with (French speaking areas of) New Brunswick.

Lewiston et al is very French as well. Though English speaking, while a lot of Aroostook is actually Francophone.

26% of Lewiston residents speak French at home, compared to 83% of Madawaska residents and 62% of Fort Kent residents.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 02:31:54 PM »

I've been to Lewiston a few times (never for a long time, just an hour or so), but I've never heard or seen any signs of the French population. I guess they keep it to themselves. The Somali population is very visible, however, and quite large. I would guess around 5-10% of Lewiston is Somali now, with all of them immigrating since after the 2000 Census.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies