Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:17:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 43445 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: April 20, 2021, 06:32:05 PM »

I was honestly speechless when I saw the verdict, for good reasons, for once. I really thought the jury would have bought into the drug use and carbon monoxide bulls*** by the defense combined with police almost always getting the benefit of the doubt to lead to Chauvin's acquittal on at least one charge. I truly underestimated this jury.

Of course, needless to say, as positive and major of a development as this is on the side of police accountability, this country still has a very long way to go. At the minimum, maybe we'll have some sort of precedent now.

It's some much needed good news after a truly upsetting week in American history (Minnesota's in particular-right down to Mondale passing away). It still sucks that it had to take something like this to get an unequivocal sentencing of a police officer. Meanwhile, the officer who shot Jacob Blake is back at his job, still serving a community whose trust he betrayed. So I can only be so optimistic, as per usual.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 07:08:57 PM »

Great news! But this is still only scratching the surface. Many other police officers should have been held accountable like Chauvin has. I'm not entirely sure that this is even much of a turning point for that either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies