Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:18:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 43454 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »

I am not anxious over this, I know that people are, but you have to just wait.

But, protesters are doing the direct opposite of what the Politicians are saying and creating more violence

That's why Trump was Acquitted of impeachment, the Rs like Johnson where protests are rampid, that Left Militia Groups creates violence

The Families of the victims are going out to protesters and telling them to protests
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2021, 02:59:23 PM »

An article from KARE 11 News in Minneapolis discussing possible outcomes in the trial

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/george-floyd/derek-chauvin-trial-george-floyd-death-possible-outcomes/89-feb6e936-317a-4e33-84ac-9640f6072be9
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2021, 05:24:10 PM »

From WNBC in New York City:

Could see more of this in other major cities/metro areas?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2021, 05:47:50 PM »

The Families have said to Protest peacefully, it's not about everything you want, police officers are given deference to bring in a high risk job.

Unless it's a Rodney King case, officers can get off, because they have already served in jail and there were drugs, carbon monoxide and heart condition that contributed to his death

Protesters need to not personalize everything, except for a few instances, the Floyd and West, they resisted arrest

If you work as a Security guard or a police officer there is risk to job, that's why most have weapons
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2021, 01:22:34 PM »

The defense’s argument is absolute s—t, bordering on incoherent. I went in expecting him to get off. Now I’ll be stunned if he isn’t found guilty.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2021, 01:26:43 PM »

The defense’s argument is absolute s—t, bordering on incoherent. I went in expecting him to get off. Now I’ll be stunned if he isn’t found guilty.

Even if not for murder, I have very little doubt the jury would have found him guilty on the manslaughter charge regardless, after the medical officer's testimony.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »

Agreed, I was sure Chauvin will get off but Eric Nelson has come amateurish this whole trial. Still, you can not downplay the level of stereotypes and racial tropes have on everyday life and how it can blind us from the obvious. 60/40 Guilty verdict.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2021, 01:34:12 PM »

Agreed, I was sure Chauvin will get off but Eric Nelson has come amateurish this whole trial. Still, you can not downplay the level of stereotypes and racial tropes have on everyday life and how it can blind us from the obvious. 60/40 Guilty verdict.

I don’t think he’s gonna get off completely no matter what. Hung jury/mistrial at worst. And for the manslaughter charge at least, I think the odds of an outright guilty verdict are higher than 60/40.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2021, 01:35:14 PM »

As I said before, The Officer has already been found guilty, State already gave 27M to Floyd family, there isn't that much more protests needed, the Jury has Afro Americans on it, officer will be charged with something not all charges
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2021, 03:54:10 PM »

50% mistrial

40% guilty

10% not guilty
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2021, 04:00:51 PM »

50% mistrial

40% guilty

10% not guilty

How do you arrive at this and most of the jury is Afro Americans and the Civil verdict Floyd family got 27M dollars from state for wrongful death, it's a CONVICTION, not on all counts but he is definitely guilty of manslaughter

There are three counts on which Defendant is charge on, not everyone of them he will be guilty on, he will serve a decade imprisoned
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2021, 04:08:49 PM »

50% mistrial

40% guilty

10% not guilty

How do you arrive at this and most of the jury is Afro Americans and the Civil verdict Floyd family got 27M dollars from state for wrongful death, it's a CONVICTION, not on all counts but he is definitely guilty of manslaughter

There are three counts on which Defendant is charge on, not everyone of them he will be guilty on, he will serve a decade imprisoned

All it takes is one racist juror who wants to "make a statement" to prevent a conviction.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »

I know but it's not 50% Mistrial, it's 50% Manslaughter and 40% Mistrial
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2021, 04:26:02 PM »

I have edited the poll due to the verdict being announced soon. Unfortunately due to forum stuff, I can't control how many votes you guys can cast, so you guys can only cast 1.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2021, 04:32:59 PM »

Acquittal - 20%

Mistrial - 50%

Conviction - 30%

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2021, 04:52:02 PM »

I have edited the poll due to the verdict being announced soon. Unfortunately due to forum stuff, I can't control how many votes you guys can cast, so you guys can only cast 1.

Huh, really?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2021, 05:12:24 PM »

Here’s why I think mistrial, while possible, is probably not the most likely outcome: There is a LOT of pressure on jurors to go along with the majority. And I’m guessing the majority is going to think he’s guilty in this case. There may be one or two holdouts, but probably they will ultimately be convinced to vote guilty, at least on one or more of the lesser charges. That’s what happened in the OJ trial, but in reverse (the guilty holdouts were swayed to vote not guilty). It’s rare you have holdouts stubborn enough to hang the jury, and even more rare (probably never) that it’s like 12 Angry Men when a lone juror manages to convince the other eleven to change their minds.

Also note that, while they are technically supposed to make their decision based only on certain things, in reality a jury can discuss anything behind closed doors and vote however they want for any reason. So let’s say you have one guy who’s not sure he’s guilty, but the other jurors start talking about how it will probably start riots if he gets off; that could be a factor that sways him even though it’s not “supposed” to. It’s kind of like jury nullification but in reverse. In any case, there’s nothing stopping jurors from ignoring the law and voting based on other factors, which can range from idealistic convictions about justice to just being tired and wanting to go home.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2021, 05:22:31 PM »

Huh, really?

Nothing I saw on the news about this. I assume the poster meant soon in that case has now gone to the jury.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2021, 05:23:55 PM »

I think guilty of manslaughter and not guilty of the murder charges is the most likely outcome, but I'm not sure it's more than 50% likely.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2021, 05:41:49 PM »

If there's one racist juror who's not guilty on all of them this country will be torn apart
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2021, 05:48:53 PM »

This is my bet given the jury demographics.

I have a bad feeling that Biden, and this country as a whole, is about to face the biggest challenge since 1/6. It's just hours or day(s) away.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2021, 05:51:27 PM »

2 other Officers are gonna be tried in August I doubt since 27M was already awarded to Floyd family, that the officers would be Acquitted

That's why LeBron and Jackson are quiet, they know on March 27th 27M was awarded
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2021, 06:05:36 PM »

Huh, really?

Nothing I saw on the news about this. I assume the poster meant soon in that case has now gone to the jury.

Yea you’re right, but we’re still closer to it than when this thread started.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2021, 06:24:58 PM »

"If you can talk, you can breathe" will become the white conservative's "Hands up, don't shoot!"; and I already see this lining up perfectly with the riots and backlash from a likely hung jury/not guilty.

We've been slowly descending toward chaos since 2016, why do any of you think this will work out well this time?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2021, 08:43:46 PM »

I looked at the video, again, it's clear that Floyd shouldn't have died, but he was clearly in the wrong when he didn't get into the car.

It was more to the story, he was resisting arrest and you aren't gonna die if you are in back of police car
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies