Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:36:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?
Georgia

Russia

Neither

Have yet to decide

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?  (Read 13727 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: August 10, 2008, 05:04:43 AM »

The Ossetian people. And thus no one who is, directly or indirectly, a party to the conflict (so, not the governments of South Ossetia, Georgia, Abkhazia, Russia, or the United States of America... I'm sure I'm forgetting to list some people.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:37:40 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2008, 02:49:58 PM by Oryctolagus Cuniculus, Scourge of God of Frankfurt's Parks »

A question to those who wholeheartedly support Georgia: what should happen to South Ossetia?
The same thing that happened to Adjara.
Ah, it's population deported to Central Asia, and denied even its ethnic name (the later Soviet Censi call the Adjars in Central Asia "Turks", those remaining behind "Georgians", when they are neither), with the empty shell of the former Autonomous Republic remaining in existence anyways.

Thanks for sharing.

(That empty shell was revived after independence, but crushed by Saakashvili in 2004, in a way Putin-watchers will instantly recognize.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »

A question to those who wholeheartedly support Georgia: what should happen to South Ossetia?
The same thing that happened to Adjara.
Ah, it's population deported to Central Asia, and denied even its ethnic name (the later Soviet Censi call the Adjars "Turks"), with the empty shell of the former Autonomous Republic remaining in existence anyways.

Thanks for sharing.
Cite for Georgia deporting or otherwise mistreating Adjarians?
I was actually referring to Stalin's actions in Adjaria.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:10:27 PM »

I believe the South Ossetians broke the ceasefire
You believe? Do you have evidence, or the Russians are always automatically wrong?

No, the American allies are always automatically right.

Which, unlike the first assumption, is not a sane one to make. Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:42:15 PM »

Guys, look at this at a way bigger picture. Russia, dosen't like America, Iran doens't like America. How do you get these two counties boards to touch or come so to it so Russia can give nukes to Iran. Oh well look at here, Georgia, we take them over and Russia and Iran are very close to touching.
Ah, the geometer's approach to strategy, aka the recipe for incoherence and eventual disaster.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »

The Ossetian people. And thus no one who is, directly or indirectly, a party to the conflict (so, not the governments of South Ossetia, Georgia, Abkhazia, Russia, or the United States of America... I'm sure I'm forgetting to list some people.)
Couldn't have said it better (hence the signature). Though I admit that I'm less sympathetic to the Georgian government than the Georgian one.
I upped the ante by flying the Ossetian flag (the same on either side of the Caucasus) alongside the old, separatist Chechen flag.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 02:29:06 PM »

I weakly support Georgia. Mostly due to the precedent this would set if Russia does get all it wants in this conflict.
All Russia wants? Which is? According to most analysts it's the status quo. Although a more amenable (but, preferably, still remotely utilizable as bugbear - think the Shevardnadze days) Kartvelian government would no doubt be interesting, and appetites may be whetted by events.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »

I weakly support Georgia. Mostly due to the precedent this would set if Russia does get all it wants in this conflict.
All Russia wants? Which is? According to most analysts it's the status quo. Although a more amenable (but, preferably, still remotely utilizable as bugbear - think the Shevardnadze days) Kartvelian government would no doubt be interesting, and appetites may be whetted by events.

Russia has an ego issue, isn't that obvious? Subduing Georgia would go some way is satisfying their hunger... for a while. 
Russia has a paranoia issue. America has an ego issue. Learn to tell your countries apart, buster. Tongue (Georgia has both... and perhaps rather more grounds for either... the ego issue reduced to scale, of course)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies