When did the "modern" era begin? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:48:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  When did the "modern" era begin? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In the U.S.
after 1990-- modern means essentially contemporary and its definition shifts with time

1965 to 1990-- the social movements of the late 60s and/or recent government programs represented the beginning of modern society

1945 to 1965-- suburbanization, mass consumption, and the "affluent society" represented the beginning of modern life

1920 to 1945-- the completion of urbanization, the radio, the motion picture, mass auto ownership, and transatlantic flight achieved modernity

1870 to 1920-- the second industrial revolution with the invention of the light bulb, flight, and the automobile demarcate modernity

before 1870-- I seriously think Andrew Johnson was a "modern" president

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: When did the "modern" era begin?  (Read 12764 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: May 24, 2005, 12:27:57 AM »

In what era do you think the United States first reached the essential components of a "modern" society? Each era has its defining advances. I am genuinely torn between a few options, but in the end go with 1965-1990. Sorry, I cannot see how a country with openly racist laws can be considered as modern.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 12:41:55 AM »

1920-1945

What racist laws are you referring to?

Jim Crow laws.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 08:17:02 PM »

The advent of modernity and the creation breaks in history in general for the purposes of study, and U.S. history in particular, are very different. History is largely focused around political and sometimes economic events, and subject to the conveniences of disciplinary study. However, the larger fundamental divisions between the substantive completion of the process that began in England in the mid-1700s, representing a break from the largely agrarian past of 10,000 years, to the very different civilization we see today, is a much more encompassing endeavor.

For U.S. history study I would generally go with J.J.'s breaks, although the period after 1989 is not really best fit in the discipline of history but rather that of contemporary affairs and public policy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies