What should we do about Assad + ISIS/L? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:48:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What should we do about Assad + ISIS/L? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should we do about Assad's Regime + ISIS/L?
Take out Assad + ISIS

Take out Neither

Take out ISIS (but enforce no-fly)

Take out ISIS (no no-fly)

Take out Assad only

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: What should we do about Assad + ISIS/L?  (Read 3001 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: December 31, 2015, 08:11:45 AM »

A whole lot of bad choices tbh
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »

Seriously though, I think the US and Russia should order a ceasefire in X days, and any parties not prepared to abide by such terms should be treated as enemies of the peace. That would include ISIS (obviously) but also any pro- and anti-Assad factions and groupings. From then on, play good cop, bad cop with Russia to oust Assad and give him exile, install a transitional leader in Syria from the current ruling party to prepare for elections in X years, send targeted drones after the leadership of factions still fighting in Iraq, prepare for an independent Kurd state and try to reform Iraqi governance under non-stupid means (i.e. no al-Malaki/Shia supremacists). In the long term, gather the leadership of Iran and Saudi Arabia and continually bash their heads together until they agree to wind down their childish feud; and generally blockade MENA dictatorships/rebel groups from arms imports.

no fly is basically garbage
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »

Well partly I don't care about what Turkey does anymore. The US needs to start treating its allies with a bit more contempt tbh (well tough love, anyway).

Actually now that I remember, the PKK doesn't actually support an independent Kurdistan anymore; rather they went sort of left-libertarian confederation remaking of the entire area.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »

Turkey (like a lot of countries) think ISIS can be used for their own geopolitical ends.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:52:48 PM »

We should do absolutely nothing.

I thought your response would be "form a worker's state in Syria and Iraq"?

I would definitely not advise jiggling with borders though. Such a "solution" often comes out looking a lot uglier.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 11:35:54 AM »

The Syrian regime is by far the most disgusting perpetrator of war crimes in the conflict, to the extent that Daesh and their cribbed together McGuyver army don't really hold a candle. The difference of course, is that Assad doesn't media whore his crimes like Daesh do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies