“Civil War” movie trailer about Second American Civil War (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:31:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  “Civil War” movie trailer about Second American Civil War (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: “Civil War” movie trailer about Second American Civil War  (Read 1700 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: December 24, 2023, 10:56:36 PM »

How exactly are we occupied by the "Western Forces" but Wisconsin is Loyalist? And are the Western Forces left or right-wing?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 12:41:08 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2024, 12:58:04 AM by they don't love you like i love you »

So I saw it tonight. It's a really well made film. There's a certain scene that's one of the most tense and disturbing ones I've seen in a major film in quite some time...if you've seen it you know exactly which one I'm referring to.

So a couple things I should point out (no major spoilers but if you're certain to see it you should probably stop reading here):

-The lack of ideological cohesion in the rebellions is intentional. The movie kind of goes out of its way to not be about Republicans vs. Democrats or left-wing vs. right-wing in the civil war. We do know the President is an authoritarian (he's mentioned to be in his third term and there's a reference to him disbanding the FBI, likely to replace with his own secret police) but no party or ideological affiliation is granted.
-The main characters are a team of journalists who are not affiliated any of the sides. None of them ever touch a gun for the entirety of the movie and only one actually kills anyone. There's actually a scene relatively early where they're embedded with some sort of militia fighting uniformed soldiers getting pictures (and who commit war crimes), but it never explicitly says what side those guys are on or which side they're fighting. This is intentional. In fact all of the combatants in the movie up until the ending's side is unclear and not stated. Even one of the main characters is said to have risen to prominence over her coverage of the "Antifa massacre"...was that a massacre carried out by Antifa or of Antifa? It's never clarified.
-The main theme of the movie is actually not about US politics or the sort of thing that us map nerds would think of but rather about how modern day journalism works and its role in conflicts...it's pretty clear.

This is apparently the map of aligned states in this civil war story:

That about says it all imo

That map suggests some sort of cringe #BothSides nonsense
That actually is kind of what happens, but it's not cringe and not in the way that you're thinking of.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 10:31:48 AM »

Glad to see this open at #1, nice to see that for an original movie that's not an adaptation or part of an existing franchise. Doesn't happen that often anymore.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 04:30:16 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 07:53:29 AM »

I heard that despite being a movie about a civil war on US soil it's somehow devoid of any kind of substantive political commentary (beyond "war sucks" if you want to be generous I guess) and immediately knew it wasn't worth my time. If you're going to tackle a subject as serious and fraught you'd better have something meaningful to say about it.
It does. The movie is more about modern journalism than politics but it's definitely meaningful in what it says.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 08:53:47 AM »

I heard that despite being a movie about a civil war on US soil it's somehow devoid of any kind of substantive political commentary (beyond "war sucks" if you want to be generous I guess) and immediately knew it wasn't worth my time. If you're going to tackle a subject as serious and fraught you'd better have something meaningful to say about it.

That's just not what the movie is about. There are other ideas beyond current political situation to explore within the setting of a US civil war, and the movie does that well, in my opinion. Plenty of media out there exploring those alternate themes, many more than pieces similar to Civil War.
Also there's a scene in it that makes a statement that is way more profound than any political one could be but because it's the last scene in the entire movie I can't describe it without massive spoilers.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 07:58:44 PM »

I'll also note the civil war in the movie is very clearly based primarily on Syria and Libya so trying to fit contemporary US politics into it would very much miss the point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies