Gay Marraige Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:01:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gay Marraige Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you support amending the constitution to prohibit homosexual marragies?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Gay Marraige Amendment  (Read 7359 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2005, 03:37:09 PM »

Lovely.  Two women marry in Massachusetts, and have a baby via some artificial means.  After three years, one woman moves to Utah and takes the child along.  She now is a citizen of the State of Utah.

What recourse does the other woman have?

That's an interesting one.  Here's one for you too.

A 17-year-old boy and his 16-year-old girlfriend get married in Mississippi.  They didn't need parental consent because the law of the state allows them to marry at that age anyway.  Now let's say they happen to have a kid, and the wife decides to hightail it with the kid over to her relatives in Texas, where state law dictates that marriage licenses can only be granted to over-18-year-olds, unless parental consent was given.

What recourse does her husband have?

You see, the situation you describe is not an example of something that will begin to happen if gay marriage is permitted, because this kind of legal wrangling is already taking place.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2005, 04:00:11 PM »

where state law dictates that marriage licenses can only be granted to over-18-year-olds, unless parental consent was given.
You cannot get married if you are under 18, but out of state marriage licenses are recognized, even if it was issued to those under 18.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2005, 04:06:07 PM »

So there you have it.  Surely if a state can recognize out-of-state licenses for what they consider to be minors, then I'm sure it's not so hard for them to recognize out-of-state licenses for gay marriages too.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2005, 04:21:28 PM »

A state does not have to recognize an out-of-state marriage for minors or gays.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2005, 04:42:48 PM »

I didn't say they had to recognize the licenses.  Richius' argument against gay marriage in this case is that it would lead to complicated lawsuits across state borders, where differing laws are the root of the problem.  I counter it by saying that such a situation already exists with regards to minors.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2005, 09:30:43 PM »

No, that would be a terrible decision.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2005, 05:16:20 AM »

why all this discussion about a piece of old, illegal and outdated parchment?

Huh?  Are you referring to the Constitution itself?  I sincerely hope not.

Is it old? Yes. Is it illegal? Well, it was at the time, and retrospective lawmaking is contentious at best, so yes. Is it outdated? There have been many constitutions of better quality since, so yes.

Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2005, 08:13:52 AM »

why all this discussion about a piece of old, illegal and outdated parchment?

Huh?  Are you referring to the Constitution itself?  I sincerely hope not.

Is it old? Yes. Is it illegal? Well, it was at the time, and retrospective lawmaking is contentious at best, so yes. Is it outdated? There have been many constitutions of better quality since, so yes.
Wink

You make a great point, hugehento about the wild overrating of the US constistution.  But then again, Americans are full of hubris about just about everything, aren't they?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2005, 11:54:10 AM »

He didn't make a 'point,' he expressed a really dumb opinion, and made an inaccurate statement about the legality of the Constitution.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2005, 12:09:23 PM »

He didn't make a 'point,' he expressed a really dumb opinion, and made an inaccurate statement about the legality of the Constitution.

No, the constitution is not a particularly good example of its type, so that was not a dumb opinion.  Also, I suppose it is 'legal' in the sense that the proper rulers of America - the British - had by that time given it up in some formal legal way.  Still, there is no doubt it is a highly overrated peice of work.

I mean, my goodness, many people in countries without any constitution at all are much more free than Americans, so the thing can't be all that good.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies