Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:43:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 915968 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« on: November 30, 2021, 10:04:54 AM »

If something does happen, there won't be an all-out war. Russia will just officially incorporate the 2 breakaway regions and that's it.

I don't think they are interested in any regions where there's no Russian majority.
Im calling bulls**t on this. Russia's political desire to regain some form of control over the former Soviet Republics has been obvious to anyone watching. This is also the same logic that other countries used to pretend that a certain angry Austrian guy would draw the line at the Sudentenland.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 01:54:58 PM »

BigSerg’s Russian chauvinism is tired, predictable, boring, and idiotic.

Maybe instead of shilling for Putin bullying his neighbors and making his country the most despised in the continent anytime he's facing some crisis caused by his government's poor handling of domestic affairs, Russia fans should worry about why the glorious, strong Russian people won't take the covid vaccine and are right now suffering tens of thousands of deaths a month as a consequence!

Similar to the Balkans, younger Russians probably just don't care about Corona.

The <40 age group is aware their risks are low (barring chronic illness or obesity), so the fastest way to incite them to protest would be to restrict their freedom of movement.

The same thing happened in Serbia in 2020. Vucic announces lockdown > Tens of thousands of young men start protesting and even storm the Parliament > Tomorrow the Corona commission says the "situation has changed" and no lockdown is necessary.

To this day, the only measure active is a Test/Vax/Natural Immunity mandate in Hospitality after 20:00, & guess what? The wave already passed and cases are plummeting back to August levels.

As said previously on another thread:

Young people there are generally brasher and less scared about such things. While you might have luck convincing a 20-year-old German to fear a virus with a 0.1-0.2% chance of death (for their age group), you won't have such luck in the countries such as these.
Well you are correct that toxic masculinity in a rapidly changing world is a serious problem in many places.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 01:55:59 PM »

I am sure in a week or two once the Russian invasion does not materialize the Biden administration will lionize Joe Biden as Joe "von Manstein" Biden who stopped the Soviet ..... er sorry .... the Russian offensive even before it started.
As they should.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 06:31:42 PM »

We shouldn’t nuke Moscow, but if we do, it would be their fault for invading.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 07:16:18 PM »

I have lived 19 years longer than many, and they have been a wonderful time filled with joyous, tumultuous, and mundane moments. I have made many wonderful friends and have had the privilege of living in a flawed, yet wonderful country. America is a s**thole, but it’s a s**thole we can change together, but only when united in strength. I personally will do whatever I can to support the war effort against the aggressors. We can’t allow this type of behavior simply because the aggressor has nuclear weapons, it sets a bad precedent. Lines have to be drawn, and that line is Ukraine. Tbh I don’t know if I would even be allowed in combat (epileptic, but controlled with meds) but if I am, I will volunteer to protect this community. Acknowledging I would likely either die or have severe mental trauma for life, the community has given me so much, it’s only fair to give back.

I hope Biden declares war or at least sends funds to militia groups of any type if the invasion occurs and I will do whatever is needed to halt the aggressors in their bloody tracks.

I hope all other Americans feel this way, because we can and will stop the aggressors, god bless America!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 07:55:56 PM »

I will do whatever is needed to halt the aggressors in their bloody tracks.

Buy ticket to Ukraine and fight for their freedom!
If the US fights back I won’t need to buy the ticket, still gotta save that money for what remains of my family!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 07:59:46 PM »

If the US fights back I won’t need to buy the ticket, still gotta save that money for what remains of my family!

Don't you understand?

If the US formally goes to war with Russia, there won't be any remains of anyone's families.
Oh well then.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 08:04:15 PM »

Don't you understand?

If the US formally goes to war with Russia, there won't be any remains of anyone's families.
Oh well then.

You seem to not fully grasp the idea of what happens if Russia and the US go to war. The end result will be a global thermonuclear war that will destroy the majority of the world and leave the remainder with little to no future.
Oh I know. If Russia wants to end humanity, that is their choice.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 08:22:36 PM »

Don't you understand?

Oh well then.

You seem to not fully grasp the idea of what happens if Russia and the US go to war. The end result will be a global thermonuclear war that will destroy the majority of the world and leave the remainder with little to no future.

He trolls and is bad at it.

This is literally the most ironic comment I have seen on this site.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 02:45:08 PM »

Oh f**k no
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 03:47:35 PM »

Unless sympathizing with an enemy power is legitimate political discourse. How were people sympathetic to the Nazis treated in August 1939 America?
Not too badly tbh iirc
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 07:41:34 PM »

LETS KICK SOME **S AGAINST THESE SICKOS!!!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 03:58:48 PM »

I do believe Mandel is also a communist as he is a Republican, but I would agree with this tweet. Whether or not Putin truly is communist or just some authoritarian nut job…it doesn’t matter. The semantics are of little use for the millions of innocent Ukrainians at risk of invasion.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 04:09:41 PM »

Anyways Biden MUST protect Ukraine. Even if direct troops aren’t on the ground, he MUST publicly be sending supplies to Ukrainian rebels and providing daily updates on how America is fighting the invasion (even if indirectly) if he doesn’t, his political career is DONE. Like it’s over, no more.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 05:41:40 PM »

Maybe we could assist Russia in some policy areas such as climate change.
With our technology, I bet we could make Moscow the first major 100% green city in Europe.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 06:33:54 PM »

Lol Biden is toast now.
What a disaster.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 06:37:19 PM »

I'll admit, looks like I was wrong about this being a nothingburger.

Tragic to see that NATO and the West have forced this to happen. I think we're looking at a very important 24-48 hours ahead of us.
My friend, the stuff I want to say to you right now would get me banned.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 10:13:22 PM »

Welp. I was wrong. Time to eat crow.
Given how many times I have been wrong in my predictions/assessments, I’m starting to think maybe I should just predict everything I don’t want to happen.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 10:19:50 PM »

Welp. I was wrong. Time to eat crow.
Given how many times I have been wrong in my predictions/assessments, I’m starting to think maybe I should just predict everything I don’t want to happen.

Liechtenstein will invade Austria!
I said things I *don’t* want to happen.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 11:25:53 AM »

If I were Zelensky I'd be doing everything in my power to get my hands on nukes as quickly as possible.

As soon as he actively attempts this, Putin would possibly see this as invitation and invade Ukraine entirely. And without active military intervention from NATO forces (which wouldn't happen), Russia would have occupied the whole country in a matter of weeks and Zelensky would either be arrested or in exile.

More importantly, even if he had nukes, where exactly would he use them? In Donbass and occupied territory? He would conquer back territory that's no longer habitable from nuclear fallout. He would have to attack Russia directly, which would not only cause thousands of innocent deaths, it would be the starting point for WWIII.

Last but not least, arming Ukraine with nukes would embolden Russia, the PRC or other bad actors to arm other horrible regimes with nukes with whom they're allied because "the West has done the same."
The NATO bloc already tore down one precedent by separating Kosovo from Serbia, emboldening Russia and allowing it to support allied movements in Georgia and later Ukraine.
It'd be for the best if we didn't destroy another precedent for sake of short-term gain. No one should supply Ukraine any nukes. The knock-on effects would be disastrous.

Except there was an ethnic cleansing issue in Kosovo, so I don't think that is much of a precedent.

There was precedent for stopping genocide in Kosovo, but not precedent for Kosovo being an entity effectively separate from Belgrade altogether. Vojvodina remains part of Serbia to this day, voting in Serbian elections and participating in the country's political scene as an autonomous unit.
A literal Genocide against an ethnic minority who wants independence should be more than enough to justify it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 04:42:27 PM »

Dear gosh, the major world war was supposed to happen before the pandemic that kicks off the ‘20s. Do the scriptwriters not know anything about worldbuilding?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 07:57:20 PM »

Welcome to Russian shock and awe tactics - now they are being used online.
Please stay safe everyone.

It's kind of shocking how effective they are in these areas. Probably the best "value for money" armed, cyber & intelligence forces on the planet.

Goes to show the West shouldn't keep underestimating them as a capable regional/world Power just because their economy is 2nd class at best.
When it’s so cold outside, nothing better to do than a cyberattack from the warmth of the home.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2022, 08:12:13 PM »

We need to fight this. It won’t stop with Ukraine.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2022, 09:55:30 PM »

Source?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2022, 10:03:55 PM »

CNN confirmed the Puttin speech now, so it is real.

Lots of reports of explosions in various places around Ukraine

Odessa?! That’s not even in the East.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies