Top Ancestry or Hispanic or Racial Subgroups for U.S. County Subs and Places (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:44:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Top Ancestry or Hispanic or Racial Subgroups for U.S. County Subs and Places (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top Ancestry or Hispanic or Racial Subgroups for U.S. County Subs and Places  (Read 6694 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« on: December 20, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »

though African-Americans' lack of choosing listed ancestries probably hurt their numbers in Brooklyn.

NYC's Black population is heavily Caribbean.

About half of NYC Black household heads are foreign born (see Table 1).

http://www.metropolitiques.eu/The-Evolution-of-New-York-City-s.html?lang=fr

There are probably a fair number of 2nd generation Caribbean Blacks in the "native" head of household category.  It wouldn't surprise me if more NYC blacks can trace their roots to the Caribbean than to the South at this point.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »

This is fantastic.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »

They need to replace 'American' with Scots-Irish, since that is the actual ancestry of respondents who choose that word. 

And most of these Scots-Irish have English ancestry too.  The so-called Celtic Thesis promoted by Jim Webb is nonsense. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 06:53:26 PM »

Are Japanese in LA more business oriented. and wealthier, so they can live closer to the coast?

My guess is that they're more assimilated (Japanese Americans are the only Asian group that's majority American-born) and have residential patterns closer to whites in L.A.

Asians tend to live in newer suburbs further from the water.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »

What about Jews?  They're a plurality in certain NYC suburbs, probably in Brooklyn and Manhattan too and various other places like Brookline and Newton outside Boston, in pockets in Broward and Palm Beach etc.   
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »

Looking around at some heavily Jewish suburbs of NYC:

Scarsdale

Russian  11.8%
Polish  8.4%
Eastern European  7.3%
Hungarian  1.8%
Romanian  1.6%
Austrian  1.5%

Millburn Township, NJ

Russian  11.3%
Polish  6.1%
Eastern European  4.9%
Austrian  2%

Town of North Hempstead

Polish  5.9%
Russian  5.6%
Iranian  4.3%
Eastern European  1.3%

It seems like unspecified "Eastern European" responses are mostly Jewish.   While most Polish Americans are not Jewish, I suspect most "Polish" responses in Jewish suburbs are Jews and not Polish Catholics.  Iranians in Long Island are mostly Persian Jews.

Since combining Russian and Eastern European wouldn't have any overlap, I wonder how much this would change the map.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:13:05 PM »

I can't make out what it means.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:46:11 AM »

Russian + Eastern European is probably a pretty good proxy for Jewish in areas filled with 4th generation Reform Jews, though less so with less "mainstream" Jewish populations - ultra-Orthodox, Sephardic and so on.

In NYC, outside Manhattan I doubt a majority of Jews still have the "Ellis Island" immigration story.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »

Hungarian ancestry is the most commonly reported European ancestry in (Hasidic) Borough Park and Williamsburg.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies