Conservative leadership election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:16:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative leadership election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Conservative leadership election  (Read 20770 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: June 20, 2019, 03:30:50 PM »

IMO most British Conservatives would be Republicans if they'd launched a US political career, and most US Democrats would either be Labour or Lib Dem in the UK.  I'm sure there are exceptions but in general I think Democrats aren't motivated by the same sorts of things as Tories and vice versa, except of course where they're mainly motivated by whatever suits their own careers best.
I agree with you. I'd argue it would be far easier for a British politician to gain mild success in America than vice versa. The sort of US politicians who could climb their way the British ladder are the low-key but relatively high-quality moderates - .e.g. Greg Walden for the Republicans, and quite a few Democrats - someone like Denny Heck or Mike Quigley would fit in well as an average Labour MP.
I vehemently agree. That a Labourite MP would join the Democratic party makes no doubt, but it doesn't follow that a Democrat would join the Labour party.

In fact, as far as taxes, business and interventionism goes, I think the vast majority of the house Dems would part ways with Corbyn and feel closer to a Cameron or a May.

Corbyn? Maybe
The Labour party at large? Not really.

I imagine a majority of Democrats would join the British Labour party, though there would be a very big minority that joins the Lib Dems of course (and a handful who join the Greens maybe?).

But I can see barely any joining the Conservatives.

Then again comparing politics between countries is hard to do.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »

Yesterday I watched a video regarding prorogation as a way to get no deal passed.

However, there is a much simpler way to get no deal if a PM wanted. Why not just run out the clock?

Tell the EU to not give any extensions and just run out the clock. Put maybe a final "meaningful vote" on May's deal at 23:59 in the last day of before no deal. If it does not pass, it's no deal as the time has run out.

If May of all people got what, 2 days close to the deadline? Boris can easily just run out the clock on purpose.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies