Crazy election/demographic factoids?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:16:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Crazy election/demographic factoids?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crazy election/demographic factoids?  (Read 823 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2024, 12:25:07 AM »
« edited: May 04, 2024, 10:24:50 AM by ProgressiveModerate »

I'll start:

Biden 2020 got more votes than Romney 2012 in all 9 of Arizona's Congressional Districts. Yep that includes deeply Republican AZ-09.

Another fun one: There is a current Congressional district that was over Trump + 40% in 2020 that has over 100k black population and 290k Hispanic. Kudos to whoever can figure out what it is.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 12:32:44 AM »

The San Fernando Valley was one of the strongests area for Goldwater out of the south.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 02:13:04 AM »

I'll start:

Biden 2020 got more votes than Romney 2012 in all 9 of Arizona's Congressional Districts. Yep that includes deeply Republican AZ-09.

Another fun one: There is a Congressional district that was over Trump + 40% in 2020 that has over 100k black population and 290k Hispanic. Kudos to whoever can figure out what it is.
Is it somewhere in Texas?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 02:25:25 AM »

I saw on twitter someone made a Biden Mastriano seat
kwabbit

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 10:04:17 AM »

I'll start:

Another fun one: There is a Congressional district that was over Trump + 40% in 2020 that has over 100k black population and 290k Hispanic. Kudos to whoever can figure out what it is.

Definitely in exurban Houston. Maybe some ofMontgomery County, Liberty County, stretching into eastern Harris and then some rurals to boost the margin.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 10:37:40 AM »

I'll start:

Definitely in exurban Houston. Maybe some ofMontgomery County, Liberty County, stretching into eastern Harris and then some rurals to boost the margin.

Nope. Sorry for the confusion but this is a real current congressional district.
kwabbit

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 10:57:15 AM »

I'll start:

Nope. Sorry for the confusion but this is a real current congressional district.

I found it. Surprising Black population but Hispanic population is expected.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 03:43:15 PM »

There's always the tried and true: There were more Trump voters in Los Angeles County than in all of Oklahoma. Or the state with the most votes from Trump was California.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 03:49:48 PM »

There's always the tried and true: There were more Trump voters in Los Angeles County than in all of Oklahoma. Or the state with the most votes from Trump was California.

In that same vein Biden got more votes in TX and FL than he did in NY.

Infact FL gave Biden the next biggest raw vote total after CA.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2024, 06:50:02 PM »

I’m kinda surprised Florida beats Texas
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 06:52:26 PM »

I’m kinda surprised Florida beats Texas

Texas is generally a very low turnout state.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2024, 07:24:11 PM »

This reminds me of a letter written to Mississippi Democrats shortly after the 2019 election there, where the author of the letter pointed out that there are more raw Democratic voters in suburban areas near Jackson than in some of the rural Delta counties combined, and that counties like DeSoto, Harrison, and Rankin have plenty of raw Democratic voters in spite of them being Republican strongholds (thus, the author recommends that MS Democrats focus more on these areas in the future when it comes to canvassing/voter turnout efforts).
iceman
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2024, 07:31:17 PM »

There are even more Trump voters in Massachusetts than Oklahoma.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2024, 08:07:27 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2024, 08:12:32 PM by wnwnwn »

HHH and Nixon each won a congressional district in both GA and LA in 1968 ot r at least that's what wikipedia says (not sure about the Nixon LA distirct).
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2024, 11:18:19 PM »

I'll start:

I think I found it too -- classic gerrymander there lol. I wonder what % of the Black population is in that one county.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2024, 11:28:30 PM »

North Carolina had a congressional district that included all of Mitchell, Avery, Burke, Catawba, Lincoln, and Mecklenburg in the 1980s.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2024, 12:03:32 AM »

North Carolina had a congressional district that included all of Mitchell, Avery, Burke, Catawba, Lincoln, and Mecklenburg in the 1980s.

Another one in a simillar vein; this hypoethical AZ Congressional District had just 8k Residents in 1990:

Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2024, 03:28:52 AM »

In 1860, North Carolina had all ten of John Bell's best counties and nine of John Breckenridge's top counties (three with over 90 percent). Talk about polarization.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2024, 01:46:04 PM »

Haha, this is pretty incredible. Despite the population increase and the fact that Nixon actually carried the county...McGovern still received just 30 fewer votes than Trump 2020:

Trump 2020: 205,973
McGovern 1972: 205,943

And that means that McGovern still beat Trump's 2016 (191,770) number. In fact Trump's 2020 numbers were also beat by every Republican candidate from Gerald Ford onward with the exception of his 2016 numbers and Clinton's opponents (when Perot took significantly from both.) And even Nixon in 1960 beat Trump's 2016 numbers and was just 7k short of his 2020.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2024, 03:19:31 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2024, 05:14:58 PM by Vice President Christian Man »

This reminds me of a letter written to Mississippi Democrats shortly after the 2019 election there, where the author of the letter pointed out that there are more raw Democratic voters in suburban areas near Jackson than in some of the rural Delta counties combined, and that counties like DeSoto, Harrison, and Rankin have plenty of raw Democratic voters in spite of them being Republican strongholds (thus, the author recommends that MS Democrats focus more on these areas in the future when it comes to canvassing/voter turnout efforts).
I wonder if a Georgia-type recruitment effort were to take place if that would've been enough for Presley to win in 2023?
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2024, 07:10:27 AM »

I'll start:

Another fun one: There is a current Congressional district that was over Trump + 40% in 2020 that has over 100k black population and 290k Hispanic. Kudos to whoever can figure out what it is.

Is it the Odessa/Midland to Killeen district?
kwabbit

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2024, 07:59:26 AM »

I'll start:

I think I found it too -- classic gerrymander there lol. I wonder what % of the Black population is in that one county.

About 2/3. The section of the county in the CD is about 35% Black.
iceman
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2024, 08:29:21 AM »

I'll start:

is this TX-08?
iceman
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2024, 10:30:57 AM »

in 2020, there were more Trump voters in New Jersey than Tennessee.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: Today at 01:35:30 PM »

About 2/3. The section of the county in the CD is about 35% Black.

Which is higher than I would've guessed, considering what part of the county we're talking about. The current representative for that district appears to be a Navy SEAL and adjunct professor who founded a company that makes biodegradable campaign signs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies