The Old Glory Act of 2005 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:16:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Old Glory Act of 2005 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Old Glory Act of 2005  (Read 3829 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: January 18, 2005, 05:57:08 PM »

Here's the bill with those line numbers removed.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one who found it very hard to read with those included.

Section 1: Any and all packaged exports sent from the Atlasia are hereby required to contain a printing of the flag of Atlasia.

Section 2: All Atlasian Flag facsimiles shall be required to be a minimum of One (1) inch in height, two (2) inches in width, and per three (3) square feet of on the outside of the packaging.

Section 3: The bill applies to any and all exports from Atlasia, including non-profit exports as well as profitable exports.

Section 4: If a non-profit organization fails to comply to the terms set in this legislation; upon first offense they will receive a written warning signed by the State and Treasury Departments of Atlasia. This written message will include a warning with a 30 day grace period. Upon second offense the non-profit organization shall lose its tax exemplary status.

Section 5: Any profitable organization that fails to comply with the terms set by this legislation upon first offense they will receive a written warning signed by the State and Treasury Departments of Atlasia. This written message will include a warning with a 30 day grace period. Upon the second offense, the profitable organization shall be fined one-thousand ($1,000) dollars.

Section 6: This bill shall be funded and enforced by the Treasury Department.

Section 7: This bill will be put into effect one month after passage.

For the record, I don't really support this bill.  I don't really care whether or not our exports have the Atlasian flag on them or not, and I would suspect that most would agree.  That should be up to the companies.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 08:03:46 PM »

This is primarily for business and charites.

And accoridng to my calculations yearly a multi-billion dollar company like Pepsi and Coca Cola will acumualte on stamping an Atlasian flag on each box only a TENTH of their total yearly earnings.

Uh, a tenth is 10%, which is a lot.  I assume you meant something like a tenth of a percent.

I'm not sure if this would accomplish what you hope it would.  It seems to me that stamping the Atlasian flag on every single thing we export would be akin to us waving a flag and going, "LOOK!  WE'RE GENEROUS!  APPRECIATE US!", which I don't think would amuse many people.  It's not really true charity if you're doing it to get noticed.

I agree that it is a problem that people think that Atlasia is stingy, but I don't think that this will fix that.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 11:07:56 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2005, 11:09:57 PM by Senator Gabu »

So wait, if you paid money for cheese that had my face on it, would you feel thankful toward me if I asked you to be?  Or, would you say, "I paid for it, so what the Hell"?

Along these lines, here's another example.  Suppose you bought something that was made in China and it had a Chinese flag on it.  Would you say, "Oh, good, this is from China.  I am thankful that China is so generous"?  I doubt it, and for the same reason, I doubt that this will do anything to improve Atlasia's standing.  On charity exports, I can see it, but as others have said, that's already done.

Moreover, a few topics down you said the following:

As John Dibble said the Government may be overstepping it's bounds [with regards to Nym's proposed legislation]. Business has sovergn rights.

Isn't forcing businesses to put the Atlasian flag on all exports an invasion of businesses' sovereign rights too?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 03:26:43 PM »

I can't see how the stated upsides would happen due to the already given examples and due to the fact that we already due this for charity exports, and I certainly can see how downsides could happen.  I simply cannot see how this bill would help anything.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 08:15:47 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2005, 09:08:04 PM by Senator Gabu »

Nay.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 09:07:54 PM »

You spent most of the thread fighting against it, now you vote for it?

Er, shoot, whoops, that was a mistake; I had voted yea on every single other thing and I guess I was running on autopilot.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 05:41:42 PM »

With no votes in favor to six against, I hereby declare that this bill has failed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies