The Old Glory Act of 2005
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:55:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Old Glory Act of 2005
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Old Glory Act of 2005  (Read 3831 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2005, 10:11:48 PM »

I don't see what's so hard about this.

First of all, typo. Not TENTH but TENTH of a Percent. My apologies.

All this is is stamping the Atlasian Flag on the sides of boxes. This is cheap and will improve our standing in the world as the great benefactor of charity and commerce.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2005, 10:14:19 PM »

All this is is stamping the Atlasian Flag on the sides of boxes. This is cheap and will improve our standing in the world as the great benefactor of charity and commerce.

No it won't.  Others will think we are arrogant, and rightfully so.

And as I said, even a "tiny" (nothing tiny about billions of dollars) amount of money can be far better spent than on something like this.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2005, 10:15:26 PM »

And as I said, even a "tiny" (nothing tiny about billions of dollars) amount of money can be far better spent than on something like this.

How again will nations think we are arrogant?

I mean all nations have a national flag that goes on imports to Atlasia. Does that mean their arrogant?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2005, 10:17:13 PM »

This is cheap and will improve our standing in the world as the great benefactor of charity and commerce.

I shall repeat myself - do you have evidence, or is this merely speculation?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2005, 10:18:06 PM »

This is cheap and will improve our standing in the world as the great benefactor of charity and commerce.

Let me revert the question, have you any proof this will not help our standing?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2005, 10:19:56 PM »

I mean all nations have a national flag that goes on imports to Atlasia. Does that mean their arrogant?

They shouldn't either.  Waste of money.  They aren't doing us any favors and we aren't doing them any favors.  Beside that, I'm sure that most other countries don't know that their flags are on goods the ytrade (meaning we pay for it, just as they pay for ours)... they will only know that ours are on the good that we send.

You probably didn't see it, but I have mentioned North Korea as an example of why we don't need to do it with charitable goods, that being, because we already do.  The North Korea government just repackages the goods before it hands them out.

This is useless.  Why should they feel thankful to us when they are paying for it?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2005, 10:25:48 PM »

This is useless.  Why should they feel thankful to us when they are paying for it?

How are so sure they will not be thankful for it? They may be, as you state, "paying for it", but what would stop international gratitude and boost our popularity abroad.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2005, 10:53:19 PM »

How are so sure they will not be thankful for it? They may be, as you state, "paying for it", but what would stop international gratitude and boost our popularity abroad.

So wait, if you paid money for cheese that had my face on it, would you feel thankful toward me if I asked you to be?  Or, would you say, "I paid for it, so what the Hell"?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2005, 11:07:56 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2005, 11:09:57 PM by Senator Gabu »

So wait, if you paid money for cheese that had my face on it, would you feel thankful toward me if I asked you to be?  Or, would you say, "I paid for it, so what the Hell"?

Along these lines, here's another example.  Suppose you bought something that was made in China and it had a Chinese flag on it.  Would you say, "Oh, good, this is from China.  I am thankful that China is so generous"?  I doubt it, and for the same reason, I doubt that this will do anything to improve Atlasia's standing.  On charity exports, I can see it, but as others have said, that's already done.

Moreover, a few topics down you said the following:

As John Dibble said the Government may be overstepping it's bounds [with regards to Nym's proposed legislation]. Business has sovergn rights.

Isn't forcing businesses to put the Atlasian flag on all exports an invasion of businesses' sovereign rights too?
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2005, 11:14:41 PM »

Moreover, a few topics down you said the following:

As John Dibble said the Government may be overstepping it's bounds [with regards to Nym's proposed legislation]. Business has sovergn rights.

Isn't forcing businesses to put the Atlasian flag on all exports an invasion of businesses' sovereign rights too?

That's exactly what I was going to post. The President has fallen into a consistency trap.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2005, 11:15:43 PM »

Along these lines, here's another example.  Suppose you bought something that was made in China and it had a Chinese flag on it.  Would you say, "Oh, good, this is from China.  I am thankful that China is so generous"?  I doubt it, and for the same reason, I doubt that this will do anything to improve Atlasia's standing.  On charity exports, I can see it, but as others have said, that's already done.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That is a better point.  I had some "Newman's Own" next to me, so that is why I picked the example I did.  Smiley

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2005, 11:21:16 PM »

Let me revert the question, have you any proof this will not help our standing?

No, I don't have any proof, but I'm not the one making claims - but you are the one claiming that there will be benefits. Therefore, the burden of proof is upon you.

Now, if you'd like my personal, non-scientific opinion, based only on experience, I would say this would have very little effect - even if the effect was positive, it probably wouldn't be cost-effective. When I see 'Made in China', 'Made in Taiwan', 'Made in Mexico' or any other such 'Made in X' label on a product, I don't really give a rat's ass. I'm not grateful to China, Taiwan, or Mexico - someone else would manufacture it. I would imagine the vast majority of people are the same - we want stuff, we don't care where it came from. As far as charity, I know tons of stuff is sent to Iraq and handed out by American troops - like a flag would help there - yet there are still insurgents and whatnot.

Furthermore, why print this on the boxes? As a consumer, I rarely see the box or package a product was shipped in, I see the final product on a shelf, only in the pretty packaging that catches my eye to buy it. So, thusly it seems the only people who will be seeing the flag are those who are involved in shipping - and they are working, they aren't thinking about gratitude, they are just thinking about getting done and going home to relax.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2005, 02:46:40 PM »

I hereby open the debate on this bill.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2005, 03:08:39 PM »

No debated needed.  Nothing anyone can say will convince me to vote anything other than Nay.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2005, 03:26:43 PM »

I can't see how the stated upsides would happen due to the already given examples and due to the fact that we already due this for charity exports, and I certainly can see how downsides could happen.  I simply cannot see how this bill would help anything.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2005, 07:31:27 PM »

It's been about a week since the bill's intro, debate has stopped, and it looks like the bill is ready to be voted on. Phil, will ye do the honors?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2005, 08:05:29 PM »

Voting will open now. All those in favor, please vote Yea, all those opposed vote Nay.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2005, 08:15:47 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2005, 09:08:04 PM by Senator Gabu »

Nay.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »

Nay
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2005, 08:59:48 PM »

You spent most of the thread fighting against it, now you vote for it?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2005, 09:07:54 PM »

Er, shoot, whoops, that was a mistake; I had voted yea on every single other thing and I guess I was running on autopilot.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2005, 09:12:28 PM »

Er, shoot, whoops, that was a mistake; I had voted yea on every single other thing and I guess I was running on autopilot.

LOL, when I saw the Yea I looked up like two posts and was like 'wtf?'
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2005, 10:53:30 PM »

Nay.
??????????