For the suburb lovers: Should I feel bad for these kids? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:59:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  For the suburb lovers: Should I feel bad for these kids? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For the suburb lovers: Should I feel bad for these kids?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: For the suburb lovers: Should I feel bad for these kids?  (Read 4081 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »

This morning when I was driving home from work and about to go to bed (it's called "overnight shift"), I noticed some kids on a street corner nearby, probably waiting for a bus for school. Young kids, have to be in early elementary school. This reminded me of something dazzleman said awhile ago and that many suburb lovers no doubt agree with, urban cities may be alright places for adults to live in, but can be awful if you have kids, and the schools are supposedly terrible and full of gangs and drugs, etc. Therefore if you have kids you should move to the suburbs.

So should I really pity those kids? Because they don't live in the suburbs? Because they have to go to an urban inner city public school? Instead of thinking the way I did which was "Wow, those kids are lucky, they get to grow up in a place other than the utter hell of suburbia. I wish my parents were that cool." I mean by the logic of suburb lovers any kid growing up in a major city is in a really bad position.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:42:20 PM »

My suburban school is among the best in the state.

I don't see why it would be better to go to an inner-city school.

Because it means you get to grow up in the inner-city, which would be far more fun.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »

Because it means you get to grow up in the inner-city, which would be far more fun.

How? I probably wouldn't get to post on here all day.

What are you saying, people in inner cities don't have internet access? Uh, very untrue. If it is then how am I able to post here?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »

How? I probably wouldn't get to post on here all day.

What are you saying, people in inner cities don't have internet access? Uh, very untrue. If it is then how am I able to post here?

Somehow, I doubt my parents would let me stay at home by myself after school, which is when I do much of my posting.

Uh why? Where would they make you go? Sounds pretty overprotective to me. I'm sure most inner-city parents do though, I hardly see a risk in it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »

Uh why? Where would they make you go? Sounds pretty overprotective to me. I'm sure most inner-city parents do though, I hardly see a risk in it.

How would you know? You're just as much of a bumpkin as I am.

Isn't the largest town you've ever lived in like 12k or something? Hardly comparable. I grew up in  both a ghetto and a very suburban area, but my mom was at home full time when I lived in the ghetto so me staying home alone would never be an issue anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:24:22 PM »

Let's see... going to a public school in DC or going to a public school in Arlington.  Hmmm... tough choice. 

*dies laughin*

Do I live in DC?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:41:55 PM »

Let's see... going to a public school in DC or going to a public school in Arlington.  Hmmm... tough choice. 

*dies laughin*

Do I live in DC?

Not every city is Minneapolis though. Hell Minneapolis has more in common with cities in Canada or Australia than any American city.

Then why does Minneapolis have higher crime than Chicago and Newark?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:46:44 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2008, 01:54:50 AM by Tutto Lasciato a Metà »

*dies laughin*

Do I live in DC?

Not every city is Minneapolis though. Hell Minneapolis has more in common with cities in Canada or Australia than any American city.

Then why does Minneapolis have higher crime than Chicago and Newark?

Really? It does? Is that overall crime rate? How much of that is due to crimes like vandalism or petty theft as compared to armed robbery, murder, assault or rape.

Look at city-data's crime index figures. For 2005 (2006 is most recent but figures for Minneapolis are incomplete)

Minneapolis: 769.9
Chicago: 610.0
Newark: 609.0

"utter hell of suburbia" lol.  I fail to see any benefit a child gains from living in the city instead of the suburbs.  Kids don't go clubbing, kids don't go to bars, they don't go to strip clubs, they don't need to live closer to work so what are they getting out of living in the inner city?  What can kids do in the inner city that they can't do in the suburbs?

When I was in high school, I was pissed at how few bands I go to see, or the fact there were no cool record stores in the area to buy vinyl at. You don't find those in suburbs. And yes, I am fully aware suburbs are full of those moronic mall "emo" kids wearing black and that idiotic hair over one eye look, but those retards have absolutely nothing to do with what I really listen to and every time I see one I want to smash their f**king face in. Another reason why suburbs suck is being full of those wastes of life instead of real DIY kids.

So basically then I take it your answer is yes? You should feel bad for any kid who has to grow up in the inner city even if you love it as an adult?

Ever seen the movie "Kids" btw?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »

Don't recall you ever mentioning a ghetto before. Where was it?

Standing Rock Reservation. Contiguous with Sioux County North Dakota.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As in DIY Punk, or what? If so that's rather interesting.. given that I know some people of that description around about my age and they live in the bad, evil suburbs. And the only place I see those type of emo kids you despise is in the city centre (they seem to like hanging out alongside Dublin Central Bank.. why? I have no idea). But here again comes a disclaimer about Ireland not being America and so forth.

Because European suburbs are not like American suburbs and not remotely comparable (Are Paris' suburbs like the ones here?)

There's a reason you work that overnight shift BRTD

Because I moved two weeks ago after graduating during a recession maybe?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 03:31:28 AM »

You're bragging about the high crime rate? Seriously.

Not bragging, just making a point.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »

I love how I made this poll just to take a cheap shot at suburb lovers, and yet most are taking the bait and saying "yes, you should feel bad for any kid living in the inner city because growing up there is always hell."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 08:22:51 AM »

I love how I made this poll just to take a cheap shot at suburb lovers

And I love that you so readily accept the cheap shots right back at you.

You seem to think (as evidenced by your constant "why does he post this stuff when everyone hates him for it?" type comments) that I should cry myself to sleep at night (or morning actually since I'm going to sleep right after posting this) when someone insults me on an internet message board.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies