Democrats pushing for extended eviction ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:43:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats pushing for extended eviction ban
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Democrats pushing for extended eviction ban  (Read 5236 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2021, 03:15:35 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/29/biden-eviction-ban-expire-501544
Senate Democrats are scrambling to find a way to extend a nationwide eviction moratorium after President Joe Biden on Thursday announced plans to let it lapse in three days.

Democrats “support extending the moratorium and are exploring options to do so immediately,” a spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said, warning Republicans against blocking the measure. Democratic lawmakers including House Financial Services Chair Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) had been urging Biden to extend the ban because of concerns that a wave of people were at risk of losing their homes as Covid-19 cases surged.

Probably just virtue signaling so they can blame Mitch?

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »

I hope Biden extends it
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »

Why?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 04:49:17 PM »

This is the Democrats' "Build a wall and make Mexico pay for it"
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 05:31:48 PM »

But what of the noble shoplifter, the carjacker, and the burglar? When shall we legalize their crimes too? #TheftIsAHumanRight
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 05:43:23 PM »

Biden passed the buck to congress as Kavanaugh already said he won't extend a new one from the CDC.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 06:06:36 PM »

But what of the noble shoplifter, the carjacker, and the burglar? When shall we legalize their crimes too? #TheftIsAHumanRight

Not theft.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 06:10:35 PM »

Not theft.

How so?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 06:14:40 PM »

People already on checks, these people don't want to pay their rent, they already thrown alot of people out in my building

People using rent money for food, clothes, especially on child care and don't pay their rent or dependant on rental assistance
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 06:16:09 PM »

Not theft.

How so?

This is a once in a lifetime pandemic, and many people have still not found adequate work. If this were normal times, there would be no need for the moratorium. It is a necessary policy to prevent a mass crisis of evictions.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 06:22:08 PM »

Not theft.

How so?

This is a once in a lifetime pandemic, and many people have still not found adequate work. If this were normal times, there would be no need for the moratorium. It is a necessary policy to prevent a mass crisis of evictions.

You are providing rationale for why theft should be tolerated in this instance, not establishing any substantial difference between this and theft. By your logic, perhaps we should allow people to steal groceries due to their "emergency need."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »

Not theft.

How so?

if one can't find "adequate work" at this point, I'd guess their chosen career field no longer exists at a level that will guarantee future employment in their current location and that person should probably look to broaden their horizons instead of expecting the govt to continue allowing them to steal from other Americans.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 06:29:23 PM »

Clearly the feds should pay their rent if necessary.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 06:30:37 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 06:35:22 PM by lfromnj »

Clearly the feds should pay their rent if necessary.

The offer depending on location is IIRC 80% of rent due, with very delayed payments and you can't sue your tenants after.  Also no raising rent despite the the rising inflation. Also obviously only for LMC and below tenants.

https://www.inman.com/2021/03/23/some-landlords-are-declining-funds-from-the-emergency-rental-assistance-program-heres-why/
Another factor at play is differences between local rental assistance programs and how much payment landlords can get. For instance, in Broward County, Florida, assistance programs won’t cover all of a tenant’s back rent if it’s for more than one month — they’ll only cover 60 percent.

“If you have someone who wasn’t upholding their end of the contract … you’re asking the housing provider to sign up for essentially another year of this person being in this unit unable to pay,” Amanda Gill, government affairs director for the Florida Apartment Association, told the Journal. “You’re really putting them in a really difficult position, because they have ongoing obligations.”

Also accepting the federal assistance means you can't evict this tenant for another year.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 06:34:21 PM »

Not theft.

How so?

I don't know what to say other than that you're living in the past, specifically March of 2020, if you think that people can't find work right now because of the pandemic. Everywhere is hiring.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 12:06:31 AM »

This is getting ridiculous.  Has anyone been to a restaurant lately?  Food service takes forever because they are all understaffed.  People can find work if they want it and those bans tend to be for low income workers where it's much easier to get a job quickly.  It might sound nice in theory to the Bernie wing to just stop evictions forever but not every tenant lives in some building with 500 residents.  A lot of them are owned by a landlord with one unit who is going to be put under a lot of financial strain because a lot of people abuse the system.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 12:17:46 AM »

I disagree with the Dems on this.  End the eviction moratorium.  It's not justifiable anymore.  Most jobs have returned, and places are begging for employees.

Not only that, but we passed major unemployment benefits so people could pay their bills.  Why are we protecting them from the consequences of not paying those bills?  Regardless of whether or not you have a job, there's no excuse any more.

What's really happening here is that a whole bunch of crooked renters saw the eviction moratorium and said "I can't get evicted no matter what, so I'm not gonna pay my rent."  And they just kept the money that was supposed to go towards rent and used it on other stuff.  Now the bill is finally coming due, and lo and behold, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions.  The only way to avoid those consequences is to extend the eviction moratorium, and maybe get rent forgiveness.  Thus the political pressure.  Although if I was a landlord, I would still evict a bum who didn't pay his rent, even if he got that rent "forgiven" by the government.

All the wannabe-Maoists love to attack landlords and say "lol imagine sympathizing with landlords" and other similar dumb s--t, but I do have tremendous sympathy for all the landlords suffering through this eviction moratorium.  So your tenants don't have to pay their rent, but you still have to pay your mortgage, utilities, maintenance, the dozens of fees heaped upon you by the government, and so on.  So you're just burning through your bank account while your tenants screw you over.  And that's not even going into the many, many cases of abuse that are happening, where people are just openly violating the rules, trashing their apartments, inviting tons of people in, etc. secure in the knowledge that they can never be evicted so they're basically above the law.

I'm happy to help out and protect people who got screwed over by the pandemic and put in a really rough spot that nobody could have anticipated.  That's a very good thing and that was the intent of a lot of these COVID aid measures the Dems passed.  But now, those measures have been successful, we were able to keep the economy afloat and avert socioeconomic disaster as we weathered the storm.  There's no justification for continuing these expensive measures now that the crisis is mostly over.  At this point a lot of this stuff is just being abused, and the eviction moratorium is a particularly easy example to point to, because there's a direct victim of that abuse -- landlords.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 12:20:10 AM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2021-05-17/data-shows-us-households-are-nearly-20-billion-in-debt-on-rent

If the Democrats are pushing for this they should also pay the landlords this 20 billion which by the way is way cheaper than the trillions in spending they want to do
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 01:02:03 AM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2021-05-17/data-shows-us-households-are-nearly-20-billion-in-debt-on-rent

If the Democrats are pushing for this they should also pay the landlords this 20 billion which by the way is way cheaper than the trillions in spending they want to do

Sounds good to me.  Next.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 03:25:44 AM »

I'm curious what the endgame is here. Do these Democrats just want a permanent eviction ban? If so, then how do we deal with nightmare tenants that deserve to get evicted?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 06:37:19 AM »

As far as I can tell, I'm the first poster on this thread whose life is directly affected by the continuation of the eviction moratorium. My parents as well as my aunt and uncle (siblings, not a married a couple) who live in the same apartment complex as us have been struggling to meet their rents for the past year after having faithfully paid rent for decades to our apartment, with some of my family having lived there since 1988. My dad has faced reduced earnings from his job while some of my family members are still looking for long-term work. None of us intend to avoid paying the rent indefinitely, but even if not directly pandemic-related, the eviction moratorium as well as accompanying rental aid takes off a heavy burden for us. Despite the left-leaning nature of this forum, this thread seems dominated by instinctual rightists (regardless of avatar colour) who seem to see the average renter failing to make payments on time as some kind of shiftless lumpenprole who is merely using the opportunity to live rent free indefinitely.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 07:22:20 AM »

As far as I can tell, I'm the first poster on this thread whose life is directly affected by the continuation of the eviction moratorium. My parents as well as my aunt and uncle (siblings, not a married a couple) who live in the same apartment complex as us have been struggling to meet their rents for the past year after having faithfully paid rent for decades to our apartment, with some of my family having lived there since 1988. My dad has faced reduced earnings from his job while some of my family members are still looking for long-term work. None of us intend to avoid paying the rent indefinitely, but even if not directly pandemic-related, the eviction moratorium as well as accompanying rental aid takes off a heavy burden for us. Despite the left-leaning nature of this forum, this thread seems dominated by instinctual rightists (regardless of avatar colour) who seem to see the average renter failing to make payments on time as some kind of shiftless lumpenprole who is merely using the opportunity to live rent free indefinitely.

You say they've had "reduced earnings" but if they're choosing not to pay rent, then their landlord is facing "zero earnings" while still having to do 100% of his job.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 09:35:04 AM »

Agreed. The lack of empathy in this thread is palpable and disgusting. It is very clear some posters have no experience with the working class and working poor.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »

When the moratorium ends, and it will because of the Republicans it’s going to be bad. There will be millions of new homeless and nobody to replace them so both sides are going to help have a huge economic bomb. Then the Republicans can be hammered on it rightfully, can call them Republicanvilles.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »

This one is DOA.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to: