Democrats pushing for extended eviction ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:29:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats pushing for extended eviction ban
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Democrats pushing for extended eviction ban  (Read 5255 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2021, 09:54:42 AM »

As far as I can tell, I'm the first poster on this thread whose life is directly affected by the continuation of the eviction moratorium. My parents as well as my aunt and uncle (siblings, not a married a couple) who live in the same apartment complex as us have been struggling to meet their rents for the past year after having faithfully paid rent for decades to our apartment, with some of my family having lived there since 1988. My dad has faced reduced earnings from his job while some of my family members are still looking for long-term work. None of us intend to avoid paying the rent indefinitely, but even if not directly pandemic-related, the eviction moratorium as well as accompanying rental aid takes off a heavy burden for us. Despite the left-leaning nature of this forum, this thread seems dominated by instinctual rightists (regardless of avatar colour) who seem to see the average renter failing to make payments on time as some kind of shiftless lumpenprole who is merely using the opportunity to live rent free indefinitely.

You say they've had "reduced earnings" but if they're choosing not to pay rent, then their landlord is facing "zero earnings" while still having to do 100% of his job.

As President Clinton once said: "mend it, don't end it."
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »

These landlords could try something like getting a job if they need money that badly.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 10:06:48 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2021, 10:41:35 AM by GP270watch »

Eviction is a government process and right now the government thinks is not in the best interest to destabilize society further by having mass evictions, that seems pretty simple to understand.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »

My question is still unanswered, and it's what is the ultimate plan for this eviction moratorium? Because at this point the pandemic isn't a reasonable justification anymore and it seems like what the left is arguing for is for a permanent or indefinite end to evictions.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 10:44:50 AM »

My question is still unanswered, and it's what is the ultimate plan for this eviction moratorium? Because at this point the pandemic isn't a reasonable justification anymore and it seems like what the left is arguing for is for a permanent or indefinite end to evictions.

Why is the pandemic not rationale justification? If President Biden thinks the ban should be extended I believe he's working with better information than you about the threat the pandemic still has on the economy and society.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2021, 10:50:06 AM »

Why is the pandemic not rationale justification? If President Biden thinks the ban should be extended I believe he's working with better information than you about the threat the pandemic still has on the economy and society.

“It’s justified because the leader says so and he knows more than you” is something you’d expect to hear in a dictatorship, and is frankly a dumb way of justifying something in a democracy. Surely you can come up with something better than that if this is a position you support.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2021, 10:55:35 AM »

Why should the pandemic still be a justification? Practically everywhere is hiring, especially places that will hire the people most likely to struggle making rent. My 17-year-old nephew got his first job recently and gets paid 13 dollars an hour (in Nebraska!) to work part time at a sandwich place. I'm saying that if we still need an eviction ban now then I'm assuming we need it perpetually because as far as I can tell, there's no unique reason for it to be in place now as opposed to any other time. I supported the eviction halt early in the pandemic by the way.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2021, 11:26:28 AM »

Why should the pandemic still be a justification? Practically everywhere is hiring, especially places that will hire the people most likely to struggle making rent. My 17-year-old nephew got his first job recently and gets paid 13 dollars an hour (in Nebraska!) to work part time at a sandwich place. I'm saying that if we still need an eviction ban now then I'm assuming we need it perpetually because as far as I can tell, there's no unique reason for it to be in place now as opposed to any other time. I supported the eviction halt early in the pandemic by the way.

Your low information analysis about your nephew and sandwich shops is not the greater economy and says nothing about the social fallout of a mass wave of evictions. I think President Biden is working with a broader and better set of facts than you are, no offense.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2021, 11:29:28 AM »

Interesting. Thought they would just let it die in the senate.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2021, 11:33:49 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2021, 11:51:47 AM by GP270watch »

“It’s justified because the leader says so and he knows more than you” is something you’d expect to hear in a dictatorship, and is frankly a dumb way of justifying something in a democracy. Surely you can come up with something better than that if this is a position you support.

It's justified because a competent government administration filled with experts, has a duty to keep order in society, and currently think it's the best policy. That is a long way from a dictatorship. And I am certain they have better information than "I was at restaurant, me wait for food, kick people out on the streets".

Part of the problem with our modern society is everybody thinks their dumb opinion qualifies them as an expert. When they have no expertise in the field they are opining on. We've seen this with the pandemic and the millions who went to Medical School of Twitter, telling everybody that the experts are wrong because blah blah blah.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2021, 11:36:33 AM »

Your low information analysis about your nephew and sandwich shops is not the greater economy and says nothing about the social fallout of a mass wave of evictions. I think President Biden is working with a broader and better set of facts than you are, no offense.

Okay, that's fine, I'm low information. Inform me! That's all I've been asking for in this thread is some answers and I've gotten nothing other than jabs about how evil I am.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2021, 11:37:27 AM »

This is the fault of Congress Manchin and Tester said they won't vote for another Unemployment 300 extension, but we need another Still check, Seniors have grown kids and people on Disability may not have kids and people working under 35 may not have kids and the only people that gets another stimulus check are people with kids.

What about the homeless that's on disability that don't have kids and need an Apartment

They don't need to go with 300 on Unemployment they need to negotiate another stimulus check

That 1400 and vaccines in the arms were based on Covid leaving, it's still here and Warren was taking the lead on Stimulus checks and you hear nothing from her
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2021, 11:40:28 AM »

Okay, that's fine, I'm low information. Inform me! That's all I've been asking for in this thread is some answers and I've gotten nothing other than jabs about how evil I am.

There is the argument that Federal aid is coming. It has just been a crapshoot. Also Federal aid as far as I see doesn't pay for all the rent but the Landlord has to waive all the rent and they can't sue. Along with that accepting Federal aid means you can't evict said tenant or increase their rent for another year. This has made a lot of landlords just not want Federal aid .
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »

I just did! Biden is calling for an extension on the eviction moratorium. Why do you think he would do that? What do you think a mass wave of evictions in a pandemic would look like? What do you think the broader repercussions would be on society?

Previously Biden was set to let the moratorium expire but this new Delta wave and lagging in vaccinations from the unwilling has had him reevaluate that decision.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »

I just did! Biden is calling for an extension on the eviction moratorium. Why do you think he would do that? What do you think a mass wave of evictions in a pandemic would look like? What do you think the broader repercussions would be on society?

Previously Biden was set to let the moratorium expire but this new Delta wave and lagging in vaccinations from the unwilling has had him reevaluate that decision.

I like the guy, but "Biden knows best" isn't really all that informative of an explanation.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2021, 01:09:28 PM »

I like the guy, but "Biden knows best" isn't really all that informative of an explanation.

That's not exactly it but if you want to reduce it to that and ignore the experts it's certainly better than the following drivel:

This is getting ridiculous.  Has anyone been to a restaurant lately?  Food service takes forever because they are all understaffed.  

What's really happening here is that a whole bunch of crooked renters saw the eviction moratorium and said "I can't get evicted no matter what, so I'm not gonna pay my rent."

My 17-year-old nephew got his first job recently and gets paid 13 dollars an hour (in Nebraska!) to work part time at a sandwich place.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2021, 01:14:14 PM »

Surprised by this one, thought they would just push it towards the senate so all the blame could be on Mitch.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2021, 01:35:10 PM »

That's not exactly it but if you want to reduce it to that and ignore the experts it's certainly better than the following drivel:

This is getting ridiculous.  Has anyone been to a restaurant lately?  Food service takes forever because they are all understaffed.  

What's really happening here is that a whole bunch of crooked renters saw the eviction moratorium and said "I can't get evicted no matter what, so I'm not gonna pay my rent."

My 17-year-old nephew got his first job recently and gets paid 13 dollars an hour (in Nebraska!) to work part time at a sandwich place.

What's the problem here? You liked someone else's anecdote so why can't I or anyone else share ours? I know it doesn't tell you what you want to hear, but you feel so strongly about this so surely you can answer my question with something other than an appeal to authority and threats of a vague future catastrophe.

I didn't even really come out as strongly against the eviction ban as others, I just want to know when the eviction moratorium should be lifted if not now and why it's still necessary since it presumably won't be in the future.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2021, 01:39:11 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2021, 02:28:30 PM by GP270watch »

What's the problem here? You liked someone else's anecdote so why can't I or anyone else share ours? I know it doesn't tell you what you want to hear, but you feel so strongly about this so surely you can answer my question with something other than an appeal to authority and threats of a vague future catastrophe.

I didn't even really come out as strongly against the eviction ban as others, I just want to know when the eviction moratorium should be lifted if not now and why it's still necessary since it presumably won't be in the future.

Is the pandemic over or currently increasing in a number of places? It seems obvious to me that Biden expected at this point that more people would be vaccinated and we could start to emerge from this but many states did an extremely poor job and currently are dealing with their worst outbreak of Covid-19 hospitalizations and community spread.

This all seems very obvious and I don't want to be disrespectful but your personal anecdotes don't amount to anything when it comes to lawmakers making policy based on data. I liked H. Ross Peron comment because I felt he correctly summarized a number of posters nonsensical takes.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2021, 02:29:41 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2021, 03:50:59 PM »

Seems like a good move. The optics of putting this to a vote and failing would be awful.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »

This is a disaster. Now we'll be experiencing a spike in homelessness as well as Covid-19 cases.

Why was this a last minute effort? We all knew when the moratorium would expire.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »

This is a disaster. Now we'll be experiencing a spike in homelessness as well as Covid-19 cases.

Why was this a last minute effort? We all knew when the moratorium would expire.

Maybe ask Republicans since they didn't care one bit about trying to help get it extended.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2021, 04:54:33 PM »

SCOTUS has already looked at this and the said July 1st if you got to nj Eviction hearing all the judge is gonna say borrow the money and pay your rent

If you are on SSA or Unemployment if you don't get your check they will issue another one, the people are paying expenses on other things

There are many loan companies that are open to giving you a loan of 600 without references now
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2021, 05:41:29 PM »

The Rs would Filibuster it in the Senate
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to: