Is there a reason why Republicans never actually do anything to help poor people?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:06:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is there a reason why Republicans never actually do anything to help poor people?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Is there a reason why Republicans never actually do anything to help poor people?  (Read 1171 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2021, 09:32:12 PM »

Republicans try to cut taxes and regulations all the time. How else do you propose to sustainably help poor people?

"cut taxes" uhh...yeah, that extra $36 a year will really bring them out of poverty huh?  I believe that was the average saving for middle class people from the 2017 cuts (and conveniently those are temporary).

I don't see how cutting regulations is supposed to help poor people, the only regulations they cut help big business.    If the regulation helps keep poor people down like regs limiting unionization or marijuana prohibition the Republicans always seem happy to keep the system in place.

Regulations keep big businesses afloat by removing their competition: small businesses who cannot compete with them. Having many small businesses do something rather than one large corporation will tend to employ more people and give consumers (who are often poor) more choices and greater satisfaction.

Cutting taxes for businesses will also allow them to hire more, as recent American history has repeatedly shown.

I don't want to say Republicans are perfect (very, very far from it), but Democrats rarely suggest these tried-and-true solutions at all (though, to their credit, not never).
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2021, 10:30:22 PM »

Republicans try to cut taxes and regulations all the time. How else do you propose to sustainably help poor people?

"cut taxes" uhh...yeah, that extra $36 a year will really bring them out of poverty huh?  I believe that was the average saving for middle class people from the 2017 cuts (and conveniently those are temporary).

I don't see how cutting regulations is supposed to help poor people, the only regulations they cut help big business.    If the regulation helps keep poor people down like regs limiting unionization or marijuana prohibition the Republicans always seem happy to keep the system in place.

Regulations keep big businesses afloat by removing their competition: small businesses who cannot compete with them. Having many small businesses do something rather than one large corporation will tend to employ more people and give consumers (who are often poor) more choices and greater satisfaction.

Cutting taxes for businesses will also allow them to hire more, as recent American history has repeatedly shown.

I don't want to say Republicans are perfect (very, very far from it), but Democrats rarely suggest these tried-and-true solutions at all (though, to their credit, not never).

1.I agree that cutting taxes for corporations, especially the payroll tax can lead to corporations creating jobs.  However, most of the tax cuts have gone to the upper end of the personal income tax, which in no way helps with job creation.  Any additional spending by these people is offset either by adding to the deficit, which tends to have an impact on interest rates or by cutting spending, a good deal of which does not go to the wealthiest.  

Of course, large tax cuts and large deficits have been achieved without rising inflation or interest rates for the last 20 or so years, but it's hard to believe that tax cuts that mostly went to the wealthy were the best use of that money.

2.It likely is true that the cost of regulations have a greater impact on small business than big business, however I don't think that's an accurate description of the result.  First, niche businesses that offer different choices are the ones that tend to exist to compete with big business and other than that, big businesses tend to offer more choice due to economies of scale and better access to supply chains.

Second, if small businesses tend to employ more people, they can only do so at the expense of either higher wage costs or lower wages.  Neither of those help poorer people.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2021, 10:38:00 PM »

"cut taxes" uhh...yeah, that extra $36 a year will really bring them out of poverty huh?  I believe that was the average saving for middle class people from the 2017 cuts (and conveniently those are temporary).

I don't see how cutting regulations is supposed to help poor people, the only regulations they cut help big business.    If the regulation helps keep poor people down like regs limiting unionization or marijuana prohibition the Republicans always seem happy to keep the system in place.

This has never, ever, happened.

Corporations do not generally hire people because they got a tax cut, and anyone who thinks this is a pants-on-their-head moron. All it means is they keep more of their profits. It often goes to executive bonuses if it goes anywhere. Having more money doesn't mean they suddenly will be willing to hire people that they don't need - a company always has enough people to operate.

If anything, raising taxes leads to more hiring or at least better wages - because the company would rather spend the money on salaries as a business expense than pay it to the government.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2021, 10:43:03 PM »

The fact this post was meant seriously rather than as satire shows and amazing level of disconnect.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2021, 10:45:49 PM »

"cut taxes" uhh...yeah, that extra $36 a year will really bring them out of poverty huh?  I believe that was the average saving for middle class people from the 2017 cuts (and conveniently those are temporary).

I don't see how cutting regulations is supposed to help poor people, the only regulations they cut help big business.    If the regulation helps keep poor people down like regs limiting unionization or marijuana prohibition the Republicans always seem happy to keep the system in place.

To argue that big businesses don't strenuously push for government deregulation at every turn possible chose a truly astonishing level of ignorance regarding history, as well as the modern-day world.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2021, 10:47:48 PM »

To argue that big businesses don't strenuously put for government deregulation at every turn possible chose a truly astonishing level of ignorance regarding history, as well as the modern-day world.

There are people who I disagree with, and then there are people who have just mind blowing levels of self-delusion.

The reason America became far greater than any European nation in history is cause of our emphasis on individual freedom which includes the free market
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 11:10:49 PM »

To argue that big businesses don't strenuously put for government deregulation at every turn possible chose a truly astonishing level of ignorance regarding history, as well as the modern-day world.

There are people who I disagree with, and then there are people who have just mind blowing levels of self-delusion.

The reason America became far greater than any European nation in history is cause of our emphasis on individual freedom which includes the free market

Without even getting into the fact that Europe was no less laissez-faire capitalist than the US up until at least post World War II, how does your post even relate to anything I wrote?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 11:11:25 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 11:19:45 PM by Frank »

This has never, ever, happened.

Corporations do not generally hire people because they got a tax cut, and anyone who thinks this is a pants-on-their-head moron. All it means is they keep more of their profits. It often goes to executive bonuses if it goes anywhere. Having more money doesn't mean they suddenly will be willing to hire people that they don't need - a company always has enough people to operate.

If anything, raising taxes leads to more hiring or at least better wages - because the company would rather spend the money on salaries as a business expense than pay it to the government.

It depends on a number of factors.

Historically corporate income taxes tend to be paid out of businesses discretionary spending which often includes things like research and development, however, it likely also can come out of executive compensation.  Of course, there is likely a difference between where the money comes from through raising taxes and where the money goes to when corporate taxes are cut.  When corporate taxes are cut, at least in the short term, the corporation likely treats it as 'found money' and is likely to distribute it to either executives or shareholders.

Over time, in a properly functioning market sector, competition should cause that company to reinvest money from tax cuts to the operations of the business, especially useful discretionary spending like research and development.

However, there are some arguments that due to the rising cost of going from research to product development, that spending on research is slowing down.  That remains to be seen.  Obviously that would have a large impact on economic growth going forward if that's true.

In regards to corporate payroll taxes, that is a tax that effects corporations at the margins, meaning the more workers it hires, the more payroll tax it pays.  That can get a corporation to spend money on research and development to replace employees with 'capital' i.e machinery or other labor saving technology.  

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 11:14:06 PM »

Do you work for the U.S Chamber of Commerce?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2021, 06:11:29 AM »

Yes. They use them as a distraction to concentrate middle and working class anger on them instead of on the corporations and wealthy that they truly serve. You have the rhetorical device of "job creators" and "welfare queens" as clear evidence.
That and immigration.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2021, 08:48:48 AM »

Perhaps it is hard to see cause the US have a fairly low unemployment rate; but cutting corporate tax (not income tax); as well as cutting regulations and reducing workplace security with things like right-to-work laws would in theory mean that businesses would be able to prosper, leading to more jobs and/or better paying jobs for everybody.

Cutting welfare for instance in the Republican mind means that lazyness is desincentivized, and with those cuts on welfare you could in theory fund a corporate tax cut. So instead of people on welfare being unproductive and being a drag on the overall economy, they'd be working good jobs for some company. Rinse and repeat.

Or at least that is how it goes in theory. I find it so absolutely baffling that red avatars here can't even comprehend why Republicans think their policies benefit everyone and not just the rich. I am not asking for agreement of course; I certainly do not agree with what I've written above; but is it so hard to understand?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2021, 09:03:57 AM »

So why does all their supposed "help" for poor people have to be an after affect from helping rich people?   Why can't Republicans ever just help poor people directly?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2021, 09:21:53 AM »

Because they’re too busy trying to turn American democracy into Republican authoritarianism.

They also hate poor people.  And cops.  And the military.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2021, 09:29:29 AM »

You mean you help people by never having helped them in the first place?

With regulations? Sure. Times and challenges change and regulatory priorities should change with them.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »

So why does all their supposed "help" for poor people have to be an after affect from helping rich people?   Why can't Republicans ever just help poor people directly?

Because "muh big gobernment"
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2021, 09:36:30 AM »

Both parties raise funding for political campaigns and do very little to help poor people, and D's keep taking in campaign cash is states that's not even gonna go blue like NC, FL and OH Senate races, like MT, KS, TX last time around, while D voters are waiting and waiting for a 4th Stimulus check. Just like last time we were waiting and waiting for our 1400 in the Fall of 2020

Hunter Biden is still corrupted and Rs are going around saying free our Patriots

Yang has called for another round of Stimulus, I know users ignore this stimulus, but there were plenty of Yang supporters around and about supporting a UBI 1K checks. Another round of stimulus is just replicating the Yang agenda
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2021, 11:00:05 AM »

Like I said, is it so hard to understand? "A rising tide lifts all boats" and "Give a man a fishing rod and he won't need assistance anymore" have been (rightly!) called out by people here; but they are genuinely what Republicans think and I do not think it is particularly hard to understand.

For a Republican, here is how your dichotomy would work.

-On one hand, you could cut payroll taxes, income taxes and corporate taxes. This will make business and therefore the economy grow. GDP goes up, unemployment goes down and with it poor people can finally get a job and raise a family and get out of poverty.

-On the other hand, you could give out welfare checks. The economy will grow slower, which means more people in unemployment and welfare, having a harder time to find a job and what not; remaining trapped in poverty. Or as the Romans would put it, "Panem et circenses"

I definitely don't agree with that kind of reasoning and I think it is wrong (especially in the case of the US) but I don't think it is a particularly hard line of reasoning to comprehend?
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2021, 11:50:49 AM »

Because their "solutions" don't involve changing the financial system in the first place. Republicans only ever bring out class-based appeals when they want to call Democrats hypocrites, sort of like when /pol/ circulated those pictures claiming it was more diverse than the Washington Post staff a few years ago.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2021, 12:46:16 PM »

I don't believe a lot of people are actually thinking of policy when they vote nowadays. The internet has made it very easy for propaganda to send everyone into a siege mentality, presenting constant threats to culture and life that make people want to defend themselves and agitated. Honestly, the country is going to be miserable until we figure out a solution to targeted, weaponized misinformation.

I love how TheReckoning doesn't even bother defending himself, just says "wrong" over and over.

It makes no difference what I say. I could write a peer-reviewed thesis on the causes of poverty in the United States, and perhaps half this forum would wholeheartedly reject it. So why bother?

Everyone knows you're not capable of that. You've been extremely open about your intellectual dishonesty, absurd worldview, and Nazi sympathism.

I have never sympathized with Nazi Ideology, and the fact that you think I have shows you have no interest in my actual opinions- you just want to hate them without even trying to understand them.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2021, 02:06:36 PM »

The poor are lazy heathens doing everything wrong....non-progressive Democrats sometimes fall into this thinking too.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2021, 02:30:22 PM »

I'd argue there are a number of important things that objectively are better in most European countries. A more robust social safety net, nearly 100% healthcare coverage in a public-private system, paid sick leave, paid family leave, better protections for employees and workers, better public transportation, especially highspeed rail, a smaller prison population and much higher voter turnout (or voting in general). Just to name a few.

The US is better in individualism and promoting innovation though. A raw comparison between an European country and the US is hardly possible in terms of absolute numbers. You'd have to compare the EU as whole then.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2021, 02:41:15 PM »

I'd argue there are a number of important things that objectively are better in most European countries. A more robust social safety net, nearly 100% healthcare coverage in a public-private system, paid sick leave, paid family leave, better protections for employees and workers, better public transportation, especially highspeed rail, a smaller prison population and much higher voter turnout (or voting in general). Just to name a few.

The US is better in individualism and promoting innovation though. A raw comparison between an European country and the US is hardly possible in terms of absolute numbers. You'd have to compare the EU as whole then.

Well for some of your points id say there are tradoffs though like while there are more protections for employees and workers that also means it makes it harder for career advancement too for employees too which then does limit innovation as its those employees who advance quickly who many times make the innovation.

As for public transportation, a huge reason why its much better in Europe is due to the fact that European nations generally are much more urban than the US and imo a suburban environment is better for raising families than an urban one . Reasons for that is suburbs have more "low rise" style apartments that give kids more room to play and adults more room to walk, generally are safer in terms of crime and are much cheaper as well.

I will agree though Europe is better when it comes to Healthcare than the US but I do prefer the other aspects of American society more.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2021, 03:00:07 PM »

Well for some of your points id say there are tradoffs though like while there are more protections for employees and workers that also means it makes it harder for career advancement too for employees too which then does limit innovation as its those employees who advance quickly who many times make the innovation.

As for public transportation, a huge reason why its much better in Europe is due to the fact that European nations generally are much more urban than the US and imo a suburban environment is better for raising families than an urban one . Reasons for that is suburbs have more "low rise" style apartments that give kids more room to play and adults more room to walk, generally are safer in terms of crime and are much cheaper as well.

I will agree though Europe is better when it comes to Healthcare than the US but I do prefer the other aspects of American society more.

I'm surprised you agree on healthcare.

I don't disagree public transportation can't exactly be the same due to the grade of urbanization, I just find it sad the US is the only major country not having nationwide highspeed rail (Japan certainly ranks first here, Europe needs to invest more as well). Joe Biden's infrastructure package is certainly a great start here.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2021, 03:18:28 PM »

I'm surprised you agree on healthcare.

I don't disagree public transportation can't exactly be the same due to the grade of urbanization, I just find it sad the US is the only major country not having nationwide highspeed rail (Japan certainly ranks first here, Europe needs to invest more as well). Joe Biden's infrastructure package is certainly a great start here.

I dont think a European Model would work here other than a Denmark version but the results are still better in Europe than they are here so Id give them the edge here.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2021, 03:46:13 PM »

Have you heard of the phrase: A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats

Yes and it is nonsense
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »