Dems who would you rather run against in 2024 and why?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:59:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Dems who would you rather run against in 2024 and why?
Donald J. Trump

Ron Desantis

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Dems who would you rather run against in 2024 and why?  (Read 1342 times)
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2021, 08:32:01 AM »

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »

DeSantis, in some ways, is closer to a blank slate than Trump and may have an easier time running a populist campaign.

Democrats would still be better off facing him because of the (unlikely, but significant) possibility of Trump hijacking DeSantis' campaign.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 12:54:59 PM »

Not a Democrat but I would like to see a rematch because we haven't had one since 1956 and think we need one to shake things up.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 01:55:41 PM »

Trump, for being more incompetent than DeSantis. Either one will become President, even if the Democrat wins in a landslide; there's nothing stopping a GOP House from certifying Trump as the winner no matter how much the Democrat wins by. Therefore, since I think DeSantis would be a more dangerous President than Trump, I'd rather it be Trump.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »

Trump, for being more incompetent than DeSantis. Either one will become President, even if the Democrat wins in a landslide; there's nothing stopping a GOP House from certifying Trump as the winner no matter how much the Democrat wins by. Therefore, since I think DeSantis would be a more dangerous President than Trump, I'd rather it be Trump.

Be prepared to eat those words, man.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 11:17:36 PM »

Perhaps an unpopular opinion among Dems, but I'd take DeSantis over Trump as president any day and in fact think he'd be one of the least bad presidents among the people who could actually win the GOP nomination. The problem is that he's also one of the most likely to win the general. FWIW my ideal 2024 opponent would be Tim Scott, who would be both a better president and less likely to win than DeSantis.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 03:48:29 PM »

I'd much rather run against Trump. I don't know why Republicans are so wedded to this obese, nasty toad in a suit that revolts a decisive majority of the country and probably a non-negligible percentage of his own voters when they could just nominate someone credible and responsible with a similar set of policies like DeSantis.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 08:14:54 AM »

Remind me again how many Republican Senators voted to object?

You need a majority of both chambers to actually rescind the electoral votes of the state in question. A majority of both chambers would need to do that in enough states to eliminate the (presumed) Democratic electoral college edge. In 2020, this would mean you would've had to successfully object to 3 or 4 states in a row to get Donald Trump to "defeat" Joe Biden.

It's not going to happen.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »

You need a majority of both chambers to actually rescind the electoral votes of the state in question. A majority of both chambers would need to do that in enough states to eliminate the (presumed) Democratic electoral college edge. In 2020, this would mean you would've had to successfully object to 3 or 4 states in a row to get Donald Trump to "defeat" Joe Biden.

It was never going to be successful in 2021. If Republicans hold both houses in 2025, which is likely, I expect a lot more to object.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 08:45:08 AM »

To be fair, a higher probability of GOP members probably would have objected if there wasn't a Dem majority in Congress / if the effort to overturn wasn't DOA. That said, I agree with you that the probability of this happening is drastically overstated, I just don't think going off the 2021 effort under a Dem Congress is the best proof point for that.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 01:15:35 PM »

Not a Democrat but I would like to see a rematch because we haven't had one since 1956 and think we need one to shake things up.
Chaotic neutral.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 07:08:31 PM »

Trump. There's a quite big chance at this point that he'll be under indictment, in prison/jail, or both by 2024. The January 6th investigations will likely have yielded info about trump and his DHS and DOD appointees by then that is so abhorrent that his loss in '20 will look tame.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 09:04:39 PM »

Trump. There's a quite big chance at this point that he'll be under indictment, in prison/jail, or both by 2024. The January 6th investigations will likely have yielded info about trump and his DHS and DOD appointees by then that is so abhorrent that his loss in '20 will look tame.

I wonder if a MAGA mob would try to storm Trump's prison to 'liberate' him.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 10:47:38 PM »

I wonder if a MAGA mob would try to storm Trump's prison to 'liberate' him.

I could honestly see the Oath Keepers trying that. Is Guantanamo just for ''enemy combatants'' or whatever? Would be the ideal spot for trump. Good God he would flip so fast if he ever had to serve a day in prison though. Even Javanka wouldn't be safe.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 12:57:28 PM »

Trump. I think he would lose pretty badly, whereas Ron DeSantis is one of the few Republicans who I think have a shot at beating even Biden.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 01:13:28 PM »

Trump, for being more incompetent than DeSantis. Either one will become President, even if the Democrat wins in a landslide; there's nothing stopping a GOP House from certifying Trump as the winner no matter how much the Democrat wins by.Therefore, since I think DeSantis would be a more dangerous President than Trump, I'd rather it be Trump.

LOL some of you doomers are seriously unhinged.

Almost as detached from reality as the Trumpers who still think he won, frankly.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 01:16:36 PM »

I'd rather take the known quantity that has already lost. DeSantis is fresh and (somehow) seems to appeal to the Trump base while also appealing to independents. He's the more refined, traditional politician version of Trump that we've been fearing.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »

If you told me we could run against DeSantis and have a 100% chance of losing or against Trump and have a 15% chance of losing, I would still pick DeSantis.  I genuinely do not believe this country can survive another four years of Trump.  We were very lucky to barely survive the last four.  I will never risk that.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 07:59:47 AM »

If you told me we could run against DeSantis and have a 100% chance of losing or against Trump and have a 15% chance of losing, I would still pick DeSantis.  I genuinely do not believe this country can survive another four years of Trump.  We were very lucky to barely survive the last four.  I will never risk that.
I agree 100%. I think the country will easily survive 4 or 8 years of Ron DeSantis. He would basically serve as a rubber stamp for Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy and would promote more sane and measured legislation when compared to a second Trump Administration.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 08:13:26 AM »

DeSantis.

The reason is because I'd rather have him as president, should we lose, than Trump again.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 10:16:41 AM »

Trump, since Biden has already beaten him and it's less of a crapshoot how well he'd run his campaign. If it were Trump vs. an actual moderate Republican like Baker, then I'd say Baker due to him being less damaging than Trump, but I'm of the perhaps unpopular opinion that DeSantis would do significantly more lasting damage (including to our institutions) than Trump. At least some Republicans pretend to be concerned about Trump's tendencies.
Motorcity

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 06:20:46 PM »

DeSantis.

The reason is because I'd rather have him as president, should we lose, than Trump again.
Basically this

Trump is hell bent on becoming a tyrant.

DeSantis has governed Florida as a "moderate"
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 07:01:32 PM »

I mean I'd rather be sentenced to 24 years of George W Bush with a Republican supermajority than Donald Trump.  To be perfectly clear.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 04:14:57 AM »

I agree 100%. I think the country will easily survive 4 or 8 years of Ron DeSantis. He would basically serve as a rubber stamp for Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy and would promote more sane and measured legislation when compared to a second Trump Administration.
Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy running the country for 4 years would be 100x worse than 16 consecutive Trump terms.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 05:54:10 AM »

Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy running the country for 4 years would be 100x worse than 16 consecutive Trump terms.
Ron DeSantis as President and Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy as the Republican leaders in the Senate and House I feel is a lesser evil than Donald Trump serving as President again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies