Opinion of employer firing employee for participating in Trump DC protest without violating the law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:50:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of employer firing employee for participating in Trump DC protest without violating the law
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of employer firing an employee for participating in Trump DC protest without violating the law
D Horrible action

D Freedom action

R Horrible action

R Freedom action

D Other

R Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Opinion of employer firing employee for participating in Trump DC protest without violating the law  (Read 2214 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 01:59:47 PM »

49 states are at-will employment states. Legally they can be fired for any reason that isn’t a protected class violation.

Which is the lone remaining state that actually has some good employment laws?  Shocked

Montana.

Given its political leanings that is even more surprising. Good for Montana being the only sensible state!

Montana has a history of left-leaning “prairie populism”, with Jon Tester as perhaps the last remaining vestige of that ideal in power.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 02:15:03 PM »

If the employee's actions being there (regardless of "where exactly" the employee was) is causing a huge distraction (problems) to running of the business, then the employee should be let-go.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 04:03:59 PM »

This is frightening stuff. You want to give employers the right to fire people for attending a political rally. That's a very, very dangerous cession of power that will be very easily abused (and is abusive if applied to legal association with protest).

What do you mean I want to “give them the right”? They literally already can do this.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 07:20:06 PM »

If they didn’t do anything illegal at the protest I wouldn’t think it right to fire them. There’s a difference between protesting (even for a nonsensical reason) and breaking down doors and trying to hang Mike Pence.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 07:29:36 PM »

49 states are at-will employment states. Legally they can be fired for any reason that isn’t a protected class violation.

Which is the lone remaining state that actually has some good employment laws?  Shocked

Montana.

Given its political leanings that is even more surprising. Good for Montana being the only sensible state!

Montana has a history of left-leaning “prairie populism”, with Jon Tester as perhaps the last remaining vestige of that ideal in power.

Plus active unionization. Still, I'm surprised that even more pro-union and Democratic states like New York or Massachusetts haven't followed suit.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:11 PM »

If their job requires them to operate autonomously from authority and engage in critical thinking, going to a "stop the steal" protest would seem to be strong indicators against those skills in both regards.

Also
If the employee's actions being there (regardless of "where exactly" the employee was) is causing a huge distraction (problems) to running of the business, then the employee should be let-go.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 07:46:24 PM »

Fireable on the grounds of mental incompetence for buying trumps election stolen nonsence.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 08:29:54 PM »

It's awful to see anyone treated this way, and I hope that she finds a lawyer with enough talent to hold her employer fully accountable for how they have treated her.
How dare she face consequences for trying to overturn elections results, lol.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 09:27:14 PM »

If their job requires them to operate autonomously from authority and engage in critical thinking, going to a "stop the steal" protest would seem to be strong indicators against those skills in both regards.

Also

If you look at the percentages of people who believe in moronic conspiracy theories about the moon landing, the Holocaust and so on, you’ll find this principle unsustainable. There are a lot of people who are capable of doing decent jobs while failing to engage their brains in politics - in fact, the vast majority of people do this, albeit to a lesser extent than Qanoners in most cases.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 09:40:21 PM »

I remember reading a story after 2016 about a woman who had voted for Clinton who was fired by her boss, a trump fan. Did any republicans stand up for this woman at the time?

I sincerely want an answer
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:47 PM »

Also

If you look at the percentages of people who believe in moronic conspiracy theories about the moon landing, the Holocaust and so on, you’ll find this principle unsustainable. There are a lot of people who are capable of doing decent jobs while failing to engage their brains in politics - in fact, the vast majority of people do this, albeit to a lesser extent than Qanoners in most cases.

I'm not saying anyone who believes in a conspiracy should lose their job. I'm saying taking part in a violent protest based on a conspiracy theory (even if they don't personally engage in violence) is a legitimate cause for concern and a reason to fire someone. It's a separate issue from firing someone for their political beliefs, which is more of a slippery slope.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:52 PM »

Also

Your Holocaust denier analogy is actually fairly spot-on. And whereas no reasonable employee of a business would expect their co-workers to all be of the same political party, nor should any customer being serviced by an employee recently expect that employee to share their General political Outlook, the same cannot be said pretty reasonable black or Jewish coworker or employee dealing with a customer who is a Neo-Nazi.

I realize, as apologists for the Lynch Mob remind us, that gee whiz maybe they're not entirely terrible people because not ALL of them we're overtly neo-nazis and racists Even though this was a crowd where more than a handful of individuals comfortably Associated wearing 6 M we and Camp Auschwitz t-shirts, feeling perfectly welcome and at home, and unapologetically called Black Capitol police officers the n word, according to the officer's, more times in one day than they'd been called in their entire lives. The distinction whether she was among the substantial Cadre of white supremacist and neo-nazis in the crowd, or merely happily marching alongside said Cadre of neo-nazis joined in a common goal of undermining the basic Notions of our democracy based on pure unadulterated internet b******* that no person with an ounce of sense would seriously believe....

Well, what more do I need to say? If you can't see the clear and convincing distinction here, no amount of words or logic will help you see it.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 09:50:43 PM »

Bad. Not one to do this usually but I don't want anyone being fired for their political beliefs.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2021, 10:56:41 PM »

Bad. Not one to do this usually but I don't want anyone being fired for their political beliefs.
But have we now stretched the meaning of “political beliefs” to the point where a basic tether to reality (or lack thereof) is a political stance?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 11:13:12 PM »

But have we now stretched the meaning of “political beliefs” to the point where a basic tether to reality (or lack thereof) is a political stance?

Did I miss where they found Iraq WMD?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 08:22:19 AM »

Also

Agreed.

I found your examples amusing as I once had a colleague who was convinced the moon landing was faked along with a host of other conspiracy theories, yet was also one of the more competent Chartered Accountants in the office. Turns out his ridiculous opinions didn't inhibit his critical thinking skills or ability to work autonomously in accountancy. Surprising I know. Tongue Similarly Ben Carson believed all sorts of weird stuff, but that didn't prevent him from doing all those brain surgeries successfully.

The notion that being laughably wrong in one area renders one unfit to work in a thinking profession is one of the more bizarre takes that crops up on Atlas from time to time. I think it betrays a certain lack of real world experience. People are weird and complicated, and often don't fit to our little psephological boxes.  I think we're all better off for it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2021, 11:02:38 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2021, 12:21:40 PM by Badger »

Also

Agreed.

I found your examples amusing as I once had a colleague who was convinced the moon landing was faked along with a host of other conspiracy theories, yet was also one of the more competent Chartered Accountants in the office. Turns out his ridiculous opinions didn't inhibit his critical thinking skills or ability to work autonomously in accountancy. Surprising I know. Tongue Similarly Ben Carson believed all sorts of weird stuff, but that didn't prevent him from doing all those brain surgeries successfully.

The notion that being laughably wrong in one area renders one unfit to work in a thinking profession is one of the more bizarre takes that crops up on Atlas from time to time. I think it betrays a certain lack of real world experience. People are weird and complicated, and often don't fit to our little psephological boxes.  I think we're all better off for it.

And what would you say when your wacko conspiracy theorist accountant closely associated with a suddenly large organization chock-full of Holocaust deniers and white supremacist as well?

The distinction here is between someone having eccentric views, versus those that are at least closely aligned, if not fundamentally entrenched within, hate groups espousing White supremacy and anti-Semitism.

You know what is a really good measurement of whether or not you crossed a line between so-called political speech and involvement and a hate group? Nazis. If you look to your left, or look and look to your right, and you see Nazis, you're on notice that you are on the wrong side of humanity, Endust have no grounds to complain when the bulk of humanity expels you from its midst.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2021, 01:46:47 PM »

As long as they didn't go into the capitol or break any laws. If someone was peacefully protesting outside , they should not be punished. It is wrong to punish people for protesting their political beliefs. People protest outside the Capitol all the time: Women's march, right for life, etc.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »

Absolutely ridiculous idea that any employee should be fired merely for attending a protest and not acting violently. Sets a terrible precedent regardless of your political preference.

If those on the left agree with this, it would just open the door further for employees being fired for attending pride/BLM protests/etc. Just because there's at-will employment doesn't justify gross moves like this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2021, 04:16:40 AM »

After all my years reading about American society and trying to make sense of its politics, this still does my head in.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2021, 04:36:21 AM »

After all my years reading about American society and trying to make sense of its politics, this still does my head in.

Weak unions and pro-capitalist culture.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2021, 03:30:30 PM »

Weak unions and pro-capitalist culture.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2021, 09:56:19 PM »

I suppose the equivalent would be some employee who is an antifa anarchist who joins other antifa for a nighttime rally where a significant portion of their crowd other than her go burn down a police station even if she is far away by that time. I'm still not sure that believing some tanky leftist ideology Rises to the level of full on divorced from reality belief Trump's election victory was stolen by mysteriously unprovable fraud, but I guess it's at least somewhat close.

Before answering the question, does anyone disagree that this is a good analogy? Genuine inquiry, as I'm not entirely certain.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2021, 01:26:40 AM »

Believing the election was "stolen" implies a degree of stupidity, or at least gullibility, that may make a person unsuitable for many jobs.

That goes beyond a mere political disagreement.

Some employers consider gullibility to be a desirable trait for an employee.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2021, 01:34:06 AM »

According to the article, California law prohibits a company from enacting a policy to that effect. This also extends to things that aren't explicitly partisan. So if a company said "anyone who attends the March For Life or other similar activities gets fired" that would be illegal. They can't take other actions to get employees to refrain from political activity either.

But in this case the company can say "well we didn't cite a policy, we just fired her. We aren't deterring anyone from going to future 'stop the steal' Trump rallies because that's a one off thing." Whether the judge buys that argument is another matter, if this lawsuit ever even gets to trial.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies