Opinion of the Mccloskey couple in St.Louis?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:44:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Mccloskey couple in St.Louis?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
FC

HC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Opinion of the Mccloskey couple in St.Louis?  (Read 975 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2020, 12:28:01 PM »
« edited: August 23, 2020, 12:31:46 PM by lfromnj »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_McCloskey_gun_controversy
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »

My favorite Americans living the dream life.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 01:22:46 PM »

Trash
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 03:04:50 PM »

Hilarious memes, horrible people.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 10:20:31 PM »

Very fine people on both sides.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 07:47:53 AM »

not enough information to say
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 09:15:19 AM »

Huge FF’s.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »

I don't really have an opinion of the McCloskeys as people, but there's certainly nothing wrong with trying to defend yourself and your property from trespassers who broke open your front gate and threatened you.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »

I don't really have an opinion of the McCloskeys as people, but there's certainly nothing wrong with trying to defend yourself and your property from trespassers who broke open your front gate and threatened you.
Most people I know in that situation would have opened fire. If a hundred Klansmen in white robes marched into the hood with nooses, I’d say the same thing about the people in that neighborhood too.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »

Didn't they "break open" a gate to the neighborhood, not something that actually belonged to the McCloskeys? I think this distinction actually makes a pretty big difference in how unreasonable their actions were.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 09:39:44 AM »

Didn't they "break open" a gate to the neighborhood, not something that actually belonged to the McCloskeys? I think this distinction actually makes a pretty big difference in how unreasonable their actions were.
You don’t have a right not break open a gate in a private community. They went to that neighborhood with the specific goal of harassing white people. The McCloskeys were right to protect their property from these goons.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »

The protesters should have let them grill.

SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »

Even if they didn't actually own the gate, it was still right next to their home. On top of that, the protesters were still trespassing on private property (meaning they shouldn't have been there regardless of whether they broke open a gate or not), and at least one member of the crowd directly threatened to kill them. With all of these things taken into account, I'd say the McCloskeys' actions were reasonable.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »

Scum of the Earth
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 11:35:27 AM »

When your house gets ransacked don’t come crying here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 11:43:02 AM »

If those guns were loaded they shouldn't have held them like that.   I don't blame them for wanting to protect themselves but they're no heroes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 11:47:30 AM »

Pointing a gun at people for standing in your yard is extremely dangerous and violates every rule of gun safety. I’m all for castle doctrine, but you can’t threaten people’s lives for standing in your yard.

If those guns were loaded they shouldn't have held them like that.   I don't blame them for wanting to protect themselves but they're no heroes.
It doesn’t matter if a gun’s loaded or not. You don’t point an unloaded gun at people standing in your yard because the number one rule of gun safety is to always treat a gun like it’s loaded.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 11:50:04 AM »

"Those who would give up waving guns at black people, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither waving guns at black people nor Safety."
- Founding father Benny Franks
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2020, 12:29:30 PM by 2,868,691 »

Even if they didn't actually own the gate, it was still right next to their home. On top of that, the protesters were still trespassing on private property (meaning they shouldn't have been there regardless of whether they broke open a gate or not), and at least one member of the crowd directly threatened to kill them. With all of these things taken into account, I'd say the McCloskeys' actions were reasonable.

So it turns out the idea that the protesters tore down the McCloskey's gate to enter their property is false. The gate belonged to the neighborhood, and there is also video confirmation that they just opened it up and walked through without breaking/entering. The gate did end up broken so, maybe someone near the back of the line vandalized it or something, but it's a little different than the way the narrative is portraying it.

Next, it turns out that the idea that the protesters trespassed on the McCloskey's property is exaggerated and potentially false. Yes, they did trespass in the neighborhood since they weren't there by invitation, but they were walking on the streets and sidewalks. The crowd was in the neighborhood to protest at the mayor's house and no one knew or cared who the McCloskeys even were. The only connection is that they happened to walk by their house. I obviously don't have access to the property deeds to ensure that no protester set foot on any McCloskey property before the confrontation, but if they did it was inadvertent and inconsequential.

Finally, the idea that it was a violent, angry mob who threatened the lives of the McCloskeys appears to be false, at least almost entirely false with vanishingly few exceptions. The crowd was by all accounts peaceful until the McCloskeys revved it up by threatening them and pointing guns. Some protesters said some ugly things in response, including at least 1 threat on the level of what the McCloskeys were throwing at the protesters. However, had the McCloskeys just stayed in their house, the protesters would have just kept on walking by and everything would have been fine for everyone, because as I pointed out, the protesters weren't there for the McCloskeys. They were walking past that house to get to the mayor's house.

I'm just not seeing anyway for the McCloskeys to be in the right on this. The protesters had nothing to do with the McCloskeys until the McCloskeys decided to have something to do with them, and it was the McCloskeys who escalated the encounter to include threats and pointing guns. The fact that the Trumpist side has to make up a fake narrative about them in order to have a competent-sounding defense speaks volumes.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »

They're idiots.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2020, 12:42:42 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 04:06:26 PM »

1. So it turns out the idea that the protesters tore down the McCloskey's gate to enter their property is false. The gate belonged to the neighborhood, and there is also video confirmation that they just opened it up and walked through without breaking/entering. The gate did end up broken so, maybe someone near the back of the line vandalized it or something, but it's a little different than the way the narrative is portraying it.
Um, yeah, that's called a gated community. People who live there choose to live there because it is walled off and gated to prevent, well, exactly this situation. What business do they have there? Why is invading this (mostly white neighborhood) meaningful. They clearly went there to intimidate people who have been exercising their right to not be involved.

This whole "silence is violence" narrative has driven a lot of people off, so I guess they decided to chase them.

2. Have you ever dealt with an automatic gate ever in your life? I deal with one every day when I go to work. You can't just "pull it open." If you pull it open, the chain gets loose and the wheels jump out of the freaking track. Pulling it open breaks it. They broke the gate. Quit whitewashing this.

Next, it turns out that the idea that the protesters trespassed on the McCloskey's property is exaggerated and potentially false. Yes, they did trespass in the neighborhood since they weren't there by invitation, but they were walking on the streets and sidewalks. The crowd was in the neighborhood to protest at the mayor's house and no one knew or cared who the McCloskeys even were. The only connection is that they happened to walk by their house. I obviously don't have access to the property deeds to ensure that no protester set foot on any McCloskey property before the confrontation, but if they did it was inadvertent and inconsequential.

1. They still didn't have the right to be there. "At least...." doesn't matter. Anything you wrote after those two words is b.s. I don't like gated communities (in south Florida they all look alike and are centered around a golf course. I prefer my "old Florida" end of town) but I understand why people live in them.

2. Again, the Mayor's house doesn't exist on a public street. These people had no right to be in the neighborhood. If his house was outside of the private community in a normal neighborhood like my own, I wouldn't contest their right to be there.

inally, the idea that it was a violent, angry mob who threatened the lives of the McCloskeys appears to be false, at least almost entirely false with vanishingly few exceptions. The crowd was by all accounts peaceful until the McCloskeys revved it up by threatening them and pointing guns.
So.....in other words, they were threatened. "By all accounts" - who's accounts? Theirs? MSNBCs?

If a bunch of masked strangers came up my street, you'd best be sure I would be thinking what my defense options would be. I'm not a gun owner, and never wanted to be one. That is likely to change in the next month. I keep a hatchet in my car these days.

Some protesters said some ugly things in response, including at least 1 threat on the level of what the McCloskeys were throwing at the protesters. However, had the McCloskeys just stayed in their house, the protesters would have just kept on walking by and everything would have been fine for everyone, because as I pointed out, the protesters weren't there for the McCloskeys. They were walking past that house to get to the mayor's house.

"They weren't there to harass McCloskeys! They were there to intimidate the mayor. It's all good guys!"

I'm just not seeing anyway for the McCloskeys to be in the right on this. The protesters had nothing to do with the McCloskeys until the McCloskeys decided to have something to do with them, and it was the McCloskeys who escalated the encounter to include threats and pointing guns. The fact that the Trumpist side has to make up a fake narrative about them in order to have a competent-sounding defense speaks volumes.

You're not capable enough of independent thinking to see anyway for the McCloskey's to be right in any scenario.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »

Pointing a gun at people for standing in your yard is extremely dangerous and violates every rule of gun safety. I’m all for castle doctrine, but you can’t threaten people’s lives for standing in your yard.

Our hero says otherwise.

Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino. Matten Productions and Warner Bros. I don't own the rights.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »

From what I've read they're very homophobic. Horrible people.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »

Our hero says otherwise.

Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino. Matten Productions and Warner Bros. I don't own the rights.

Mortal laws, by definition, only apply to us mere mortals.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies