Bill Palmer says conservatives don't belong in society. Agree?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:50:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Bill Palmer says conservatives don't belong in society. Agree?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Agree with Palmer?
Yes

No

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Bill Palmer says conservatives don't belong in society. Agree?  (Read 1301 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2020, 07:17:28 PM »

Left-wing journalist Bill Palmer says that conservatives don't belong in society, and should be rehabilitated until they change their ways. Do you agree or disagree? Even left-wing journalist Glenn Greenwald disagreed with him and basically made fun of his viewpoint. What do you think?

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1272721382300889089
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 07:22:59 PM »

We live in a society. And that society includes conservatives.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 07:51:02 PM »

Conservatives? No, I disagree.

Racists, Nazis, and neo-Confederates? Yes, I agree.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 09:42:22 PM »

What if they are doing this privately? You can't really criminalize someone from having hatred of someone else. Everyone hates somebody.

Palmer would be upset if someone like Michael Savage said that "progressives don't belong in society"
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 09:42:55 PM »

Disagree. The American Eagle cannot fly unless it has and uses two wings.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:43:52 PM »

No
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 09:46:40 PM »

Everyone hates somebody.

I don't think so.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 09:51:04 PM »

Of course not.

If a conservative wrote an article like this, he’d be permanently ousted from the intellectual community

F.A Hayak would tell you Nazis were left wing.

We all know the left has a nasty history using re-education. Ask Mao or Stalin or any communist dictatorships trying to do that to Christians and those of any religious faith.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 10:03:48 PM »

There's no point in classifying Nazis as left wing or right wing as it does not change the fundamental truth that they are horrible people.

It's like trying to decide not to eat a spoiled ham because it will taste bad or might make you sick? Who cares? Throw it in the trash.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 10:05:38 PM »

Conservatives find it difficult to live in our self-destructive society.  Perhaps some are capable of it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 12:02:28 AM »

Capitalism is the problem, not conservatives, capitalism at it's current form where inherited wealth doesnt work. If you change the current class structure and unless you allow lower class people to get on chairmanship boards, like Bernie wants, capitalism will fail. That's why in Covid 19, we are having a revolt, with these protests, capitalism failed in 2001, 2008 and 2020
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 12:05:44 AM »

We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 12:05:54 AM »

Considering conservatives do literally everything in their power to weaken, worsen, and unbalance society, yes.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 01:36:19 AM »

anyone who votes yes should be banned .

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 08:16:25 AM »

That guy looks like such a little bltch.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 09:04:28 AM »

What if they are doing this privately? You can't really criminalize someone from having hatred of someone else. Everyone hates somebody.

See, this is where your phony moderate veil falls apart. You pretend to be a true centrist and then someone says "society should not accept racists and nazis" and you respond with "well, wait a minute--"

You're not a centrist, you're an appeaser. You're fine with the status quo, even if that status quo includes making room for some of the worst ideologies our world has ever known. We should not accept bigotry. Not even privately. "Everyone hates somebody" is not a valid response to "racists and nazis have no place in society." If I were to say "Yankee fans have no place in society" and you said "well, Yankee fans would feel the same way about you, a Red Sox fan, because every sports fan hates some other sports fan" then you'd have a valid argument.

Just because you can't criminalize hatred does not mean that we should accept it as a society. There should be social consequences for bigots. I wouldn't advocate for killing or arresting nazis, but I am 100% okay with shutting them out so that they don't feel welcome, either in the discourse or in society at large. The fact that you're willing to split hairs and be a pedant about that is telling.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »

Conservatives find it difficult to live in our self-destructive society.  Perhaps some are capable of it.

The key in my experience is a mixture of optimism, hypocrisy, and moral cowardice. Still chugging!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 11:20:38 AM »

See, this is where your phony moderate veil falls apart. You pretend to be a true centrist and then someone says "society should not accept racists and nazis" and you respond with "well, wait a minute--"

You're not a centrist, you're an appeaser. You're fine with the status quo, even if that status quo includes making room for some of the worst ideologies our world has ever known. We should not accept bigotry. Not even privately. "Everyone hates somebody" is not a valid response to "racists and nazis have no place in society." If I were to say "Yankee fans have no place in society" and you said "well, Yankee fans would feel the same way about you, a Red Sox fan, because every sports fan hates some other sports fan" then you'd have a valid argument.

Just because you can't criminalize hatred does not mean that we should accept it as a society. There should be social consequences for bigots. I wouldn't advocate for killing or arresting nazis, but I am 100% okay with shutting them out so that they don't feel welcome, either in the discourse or in society at large. The fact that you're willing to split hairs and be a pedant about that is telling.

Oh please, this bs righteous indignation falls flat considering the Marxists are literally redefining "bigotry" and "racism" daily to fit their political needs. Once you claim zero tolerance for some vague, nebulous idea with perpetually moving goalposts without looking at the idea as a spectrum, that leads to nothing but abuse as autocrats try to shoehorn any thoughts they don't like into that shifting definition to censor opponents. That you abandon any nuance in this ridiculous crusade is also telling.

If Archie Bunker were real are you really suggesting he be fired and boycotted and suffer all manner of societal death simply for being stupid and ignorant? One of my best friends named his son Lee Thomas after Lee and Stonewall. Should he be fired never to hold a job again?  I know hundreds of people who own Confederate imagery. Is everyone of them an irredeemable racist who should have their life destroyed in this evil purge?

Bigotry of any kind is a spectrum. This very recent anti intellectual nonsense that there can be no nuance with "racism", that theres no difference if a bigot wants to kill all minorities, or just doesn't like all minorities, or just doesn't like some minorities, or maybe even is just insensitive and doesn't care that much about avoiding edgy comments despite not actually hating minorities, or maybe just makes an offcolor joke with no intent to hurt someone's feelings, or now just rejects the lie that America is fundamentally racist because muh systemic oppression, is idiotic. Racism is not black and white (no pun intended) and these absolutist, moralistic hot takes are absurd. Free speech is fundamental and unthinking mobs of self-righteous jerks trying to censor and suppress using poorly defined buzzwords and marxist rhetoric is sickening.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »

You're fine with the status quo, even if that status quo includes making room for some of the worst ideologies our world has ever known.

Yes.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »

You're fine with the status quo, even if that status quo includes making room for some of the worst ideologies our world has ever known.

Yes.

Remember when liberals in the ACLU fought for the right of literal Nazis to march in Skokie. When will these new radicals cancel the ACLU?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »

bruh who gives a sh**t people should just do whatever
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 07:29:33 PM »

I'm a moderate. I believe in free speech. I also believe that people have the right to be idiots and if they are racists, that is their problem. They have the right to be idiots.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 02:00:40 AM »

I'm a moderate. I believe in free speech. I also believe that people have the right to be idiots and if they are racists, that is their problem. They have the right to be idiots.

I think you need to be more clear whether you think these people should be welcomed/accepted by society or just if their viewpoints should remain legal.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 03:32:42 AM »

ayy lmao
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 10:33:47 PM »

Left-wing journalist Bill Palmer says that conservatives don't belong in society, and should be rehabilitated until they change their ways. Do you agree or disagree? Even left-wing journalist Glenn Greenwald disagreed with him and basically made fun of his viewpoint. What do you think?

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1272721382300889089

Greenwalk isn't left-wing. He seldom misses a chance to shill for Trump. He's just opposed to pre-Trump established American power structures.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies