Joy Reid's homophobic blog posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:35:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joy Reid's homophobic blog posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Joy Reid's homophobic blog posts  (Read 14660 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2018, 07:26:46 AM »

I really don't care if she apologizes. She should be fired, and every day MSNBC doesn't do so only makes them more like Fox News in my opinion.

MSNBC hires and employs Al Sharpton, who promulgated a hoax where a young black female (Tawana Brawley) falsely accused white police officers of sexually assaulting her.  He has never apologized, and has never admitted that this is a hoax, yet MSNBC fans are all OK with him being on that network.  Why one standard for Sharpton and another for Reid?

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »

Regardless of if she did write them, it was over 10 years ago. I dont think it matters at this point.

Edit: This is coming from a gay man. Not a straight ally.

Regardless of if Trump said what he said on the Access Hollywood tape, it was over 10 years ago. I don't think it matters at this point.

Why one standard for Trump and one for Joy Reid?  Is it one standard for one's friends and another for one's enemies?  That's an ethical question.

One little difference here is between someone getting fired for saying something offensive on the one hand, and just not voting for such a person on the other.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2018, 07:38:58 AM »

I'm not going to be lectured on homophobia by Republicans.
Or gay Democrats either, apparently

I'm fine with gay Democrats who disagree with me. It’s the Republicans who happily vote for candidates with and listen to pundits with the same prejudices who suddenly pretend they care about homophobia because they can take down a liberal African-American woman MSNBC host who I can’t take seriously.

If you live with prejudice as a fact of life, you learn to choose your battles. It's like when 10-15 years ago, recordings came out of Billy Graham agreeing with some of Nixon’s anti-Semitic comments...Jewish organizations gave it a pass because Graham was old by now and well respected, and there was no value in fighting that war. Joy Reid isn’t Billy Graham, and she *isn’t* responding to this appropriately IMO, but I don’t feel moved to join the Republicans with their pitchforks and torches.

That's a problem with Republicans in general, not with their opposition to homophobia.

Also Billy Graham was a disgusting antisemite but at least he apologized.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2018, 07:50:05 AM »

Yawn, this shouldn't be a controversy.,

Hack.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »

Both Tim Walz and Kristen Gillibrand supported gay marriage when they were elected in 2006.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »

There is no need to get personal here. This contentious thread has so far avoided that. I hope we don't start now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2018, 08:48:37 AM »

Both Tim Walz and Kristen Gillibrand supported gay marriage when they were elected in 2006.

Obama didn't until Biden forced him to in 2012, and in 2008 he pointedly refused to condemn an anti-gay African-American cleric, Donnie McClurkin, who spoke on his behalf before the SC primary.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »

Obama didn't until Biden forced him to in 2012, and in 2008 he pointedly refused to condemn an anti-gay African-American cleric, Donnie McClurkin, who spoke on his behalf before the SC primary.

My point is that it wasn't some utterly fringe position. And she's not under fire for not supporting gay marriage anyway.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »

My point is that it wasn't some utterly fringe position. And she's not under fire for not supporting gay marriage anyway.

And my point—as someone who got gay married in Massachusetts in 2004—is that the world was more complex than noting that some Democrats on the vanguard supported same-sex marriage in 2006. At the time, many people were still blaming gays for losing "us" the 2004 election.

I can't emphasize enough how much the year 2012 felt like a turning point on public acceptance of gay rights with Biden forcing Obama to support same-sex marriage and with the 4 state referenda that gay marriage won for the first time (Arizona does *not* count because seniors worried about Social Security benefits sunk that one.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2018, 10:02:26 AM »

And my point—as someone who got gay married in Massachusetts in 2004—is that the world was more complex than noting that some Democrats on the vanguard supported same-sex marriage in 2006. At the time, many people were still blaming gays for losing "us" the 2004 election.

I can't emphasize enough how much the year 2012 felt like a turning point on public acceptance of gay rights with Biden forcing Obama to support same-sex marriage and with the 4 state referenda that gay marriage won for the first time (Arizona does *not* count because seniors worried about Social Security benefits sunk that one.)

But this isn't about her opposing same-sex marriage.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2018, 10:04:26 AM »

My biggest issue with the whole thing is that:

1-Her response is TERRIBLE and the claim to be hacked is laughable and
2-Her defenders in this thread's responses are also quite terrible. Saying "she's a woman of color", trying to make this about BERNIE SANDERS of all people and oh yeah this little bit of "debunking":

Yawn, this shouldn't be a controversy.,

REALLY isn't helping.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »

It wasn't an utterly fringe position, but bigotry wasn't a fringe position either, with a very large fraction of the population at that time thinking gay sex should be illegal:

http://news.gallup.com/poll/1651/gay-lesbian-rights.aspx

I assume you don't think anyone who thought that at the time should now be completely unemployable, so I'm curious where you think the line is.  They shouldn't be employed as a cable news host?  Or in any kind of role that makes them a public figure?  Or they can be a public figure as long as they apologize?  Or they can be a public figure as long as they didn't express their bigotry in a public forum on the internet?, etc.
kyc0705

« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2018, 10:48:45 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2018, 10:52:40 AM by kyc0705 »

Reid made a statement about the controversy this morning. This whole thread is trash "on many sides" imo, but do what you will with it. Personally, after having spent several days hearing about this, I think there are more pressing things to worry about in our current politics than what one person said over a decade ago. I don't know much about her, but it doesn't seem she harbors those views today.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2018, 11:28:09 AM »

It wasn't an utterly fringe position, but bigotry wasn't a fringe position either, with a very large fraction of the population at that time thinking gay sex should be illegal:

I assume you don't think anyone who thought that at the time should now be completely unemployable, so I'm curious where you think the line is.  They shouldn't be employed as a cable news host?  Or in any kind of role that makes them a public figure?  Or they can be a public figure as long as they apologize?  Or they can be a public figure as long as they didn't express their bigotry in a public forum on the internet?, etc.

She needs to apologize.

Honestly the most cringeworthy aspect of this is the white people saying that she should get a pass because she's a black woman. It's part of the racist notion that minorities are too stupid to be liberal on non-racial issues. There are plenty of black people who are not horribly homophobic.
kyc0705

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »

Per my last post, though she's still trying to hold to the notion that she didn't write the posts, but concedes that she's unsurprised that people were unsurprised by them: https://www.msnbc.com/am-joy/watch/watch-joy-reid-address-offensive-blog-posts-on-msnbc-1221485635964?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2018, 11:49:38 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2018, 11:53:15 AM by RFKFan68 »

I'll wear the label of hypocrite, but I think she should keep her job and I believe her apology is sincere. Every one is guilty of being ignorant in the past, and if people saw some things I have said in the past I'd be embarrassed and mortified. I support you Mrs. Reid!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2018, 12:15:06 PM »

Maybe to be a public figure in liberal politics they should actually apologize and not make up an obviously BS hacking excuse, and try to deflect from it playing the race and gender card, or trying to make it about f[inks]ing BERNIE SANDERS who clearly has NOTHING to do with it?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »

Maybe to be a public figure in liberal politics they should actually apologize and not make up an obviously BS hacking excuse, and try to deflect from it playing the race and gender card, or trying to make it about f[inks]ing BERNIE SANDERS who clearly has NOTHING to do with it?

BERNIE SANDERS HAS DOOMED HIS 2020 CAMPAIGN BY REFUSING TO CONDEMN THE ATTACKS ON JOY REID BY HIS ARMY OF BROS AND BECKYS

Actually MSNBC-brained commenter's opinion I saw this morning.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »

I really don't care if she apologizes. She should be fired, and every day MSNBC doesn't do so only makes them more like Fox News in my opinion.

MSNBC hires and employs Al Sharpton, who promulgated a hoax where a young black female (Tawana Brawley) falsely accused white police officers of sexually assaulting her.  He has never apologized, and has never admitted that this is a hoax, yet MSNBC fans are all OK with him being on that network.  Why one standard for Sharpton and another for Reid?

What on earth makes you think I support keeping Sharpton? He should never have been hired, and MSNBC's continued employment makes them look like Fox News.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »

You support and defend a man who called for the death of children and refused to apologize after they were exonerated. You really need to stop running into threads pretending to be a moral authority.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »

Honestly I don't really care as long as she apologizes and doesn't hold these beliefs today.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »

Such a double standard here.  Personally, I don't think people should be punished for their "unpleasant" beliefs.  Many of the people here willing to give her the benefit of the doubt though, wouldn't be so forgiving if she wasn't a down the line lefty and/or POC.
James Monroe

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2018, 03:06:54 PM »

Honestly I don't really care as long as she apologizes and doesn't hold these beliefs today.

Joy Reid just released an official apology this morning, which I hope all the naysayers watch for just three minutes.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »

Joy Reid just released an official apology this morning, which I hope all the naysayers watch for just three minutes.

She does not "believe" she wrote these things?  She did or she didn't.... It's not something you believe or don't believe.  Not a real apology.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2018, 03:20:17 PM »

She does not "believe" she wrote these things?  She did or she didn't.... It's not something you believe or don't believe.  Not a real apology.

We could all be a simulation running on a Russian hacker's supercomnputer, and nothing is actually real, you see.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies