Which of these two countries is more liveable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:51:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which of these two countries is more liveable?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: ?
Jesusland

Aynrandland

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Which of these two countries is more liveable?  (Read 4414 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2013, 09:47:05 AM »

After religion is destroyed, greed by and large will be destroyed.  Most people are naturally benevolent, they need religion/superstition/junk science to feel they have a superior standing than others and therefore justify their greed.
This is backwards, of course. People are naturally self-centred and need society to teach them otherwise.

Plenty aren't.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.
For an atheist, you sure don't seem to put much stock in scientifically conducted research.

What scientifically conducted research?

The most religious Americans actually give more money to secular causes than do secular Americans.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And how many "secular" Americans are there?

If you had actually bothered to read the article or the quote I provided, you would have noticed that the authors of the study divided the sample into quintiles from least to most religious. That means the secular and religious samples compared are equal size

Ehhh... go buy your way into heaven/do it because you are told if you like, whether you like it or not that's what guides the good deeds of most religious people.  If the ends justify the means, good for you.  I don't agree.

Unfounded assertion is unfounded

I just don't understand the complete lack of equality in the matter.  The religiouses are allowed to advertise their belief system as the humanity's salvation... but us atheists aren't allowed to do the same?

Nonsense. You're allowed to defend atheism and have done so on many occasions...poorly.

I genuinely believe atheism/agnosticism/secularism is what will save humanity.  That's why I believe in it so strongly.  

A sound and coherent argument if there ever was one.

More bigotry against atheists from the Atlas, but that's to be expected.  Every minority has to deal with BS. 

No. You make unfounded and bigoted assertions against religion and when someone presens contrary evidence you launch into hysterics about some persecution of atheists that only exists in your head.

Religion helps equalize people, and helps people become more charitable... the person a few posts above has it completely backwards.

LOL!  I won't entertain anything that has the words "religion" and "help" in the same sentence... much less "religion" and "equalize".  Yea... when I think equality I think religion. 

Ladies and gentleman. The open minded atheist!

Ok... I'll ENTERTAIN the idea. 

1. Religion has helped some people view their fellow man in a more equitable light.  It has also been used to rationalize slavery of Jews and blacks, oppose interracial marriage, and justify mass slaughter in the Holocaust and purges during the Dark Ages.  You can argue that religion is corrupting people, or that people are corrupt themselves and are using an excuse.  Both happen, but I think the former is prevalent enough for me to have a problem with it.

2. Yes... religious institutions are often charitable.  I just think that the same can easily be done in a secular sense (and is), so I view the fact that religion is involved as largely superfluous. 

3. "Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, and intolerance"- not once in my life have I ever treated another person with hatred or contempt.  I'm sure you're familiar with "don't hate the sinner, hate the sin".  I don't hate religious people, I hate religion.  It'd be a stretch to call me a bigot.  With that said, I'll stop any insults against individuals. 

4. I wasn't making an "argument" when I said I believe in secularism strongly.  I was just stating why I feel strongly about the subject.  Will secularism solve all our problems?  No.  Will secularism be a huge step into solving our problems?  I believe so.  I don't see what's stupid about that.  Did you want me to go through a list? 

5. How can I defend atheism against a religious person?  You probably find the entire idea abhorrent.

6. I'll admit saying that all religious people are being told to do good deeds or doing so for their own salvation WAS a bit nasty.  For that I am sorry. 

7. The picture of the homeless guy was not supposed to be absolute proof of atheist generosity.  I was providing a visual example of what I believe to be true.  I could say the same thing about the article you posted.  1/5 of the most secular Americans?  How would you even measure that? 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »

Aren't religious (or non-religious) worldviews suppose to be a light that help guides one's morals and not merely an identity or an accessory?  Because this thread is reducing them to just that.

HockeyDude, you're a smart guy.  Frankly, I'm surprised at you.  I'm also disgusted at the person who conducted that experiment for making people compete to give cash all for the sake of image.

1. That's my point. 

2. I went on a tangent.  And honestly, I think I'm entitled to it.  Everything I said was exaggerated, though. 
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2013, 03:02:51 PM »

I'll say AynRandLand for another reason.  After religion is destroyed, greed by and large will be destroyed.  Most people are naturally benevolent, they need religion/superstition/junk science to feel they have a superior standing than others and therefore justify their greed.  Societies in which religion is powerful breed this type of thought.

There are numerous sources of greed and general non-benevolence outside of religion to make it obvious that this is absurdly optimistic. Sociopaths who lack any empathy for others aren't going to disappear from the population just because one avenue of being predatory to others is lost to them. Tribal mentality, which often decides whether or not a person feels they need to be benevolent to another person, isn't going to go away either. Resource scarcity isn't going anywhere either, so there will be people who hoard. There is plenty of secular greed in the world.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »

Religion helps equalize people, and helps people become more charitable... the person a few posts above has it completely backwards.

LOL!  I won't entertain anything that has the words "religion" and "help" in the same sentence... much less "religion" and "equalize".  Yea... when I think equality I think religion. 
If you don't want people criticizing your belief in atheisim, stop criticizing those who are religious.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies