PPP-IA: Braley +1 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:59:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  PPP-IA: Braley +1 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PPP-IA: Braley +1  (Read 9024 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: October 18, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »

I don't claim to be an expert on Ernst by any means, but I would be shocked if she exuded Bachmann's amoral disingenuous arrogance and hubris. She seems a more practical down to earth kind of person, no doubt with an overly simplistic view of the world, and probably not very sophisticated, but then Iowa is kind of like that in many ways. I just find it hard to believe that if she were truly a nut case, she would be as competitive as she is, even with Braley's shortcomings.

Oh, I am the one that is Godless, not you. Don't be so hard on yourself!  Smiley

I love these standards you have for your precious Republicans.  Talk about grading on a curve.

Just because someone doesn't belong in the psych ward doesn't mean we should to elect them to the US Senate.  Honestly, it should be enough that her policies are cuckoo bonkers.  You should really cut an ad for Joni Ernst:

"Some people accuse Joni Ernst of having crazy policies ideas because she's a crazy person.  FACT:  She has never been hospitalized with a mental illness.  Joni Ernst only has crazy ideas because she's a simpleton from a God-damn farm who doesn't know any better.  So vote Ernst this November, her insane ideas are only insane because she's a stupid yokel like you, the Iowan voter."
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »

I don't claim to be an expert on Ernst by any means, but I would be shocked if she exuded Bachmann's amoral disingenuous arrogance and hubris. She seems a more practical down to earth kind of person, no doubt with an overly simplistic view of the world, and probably not very sophisticated, but then Iowa is kind of like that in many ways. I just find it hard to believe that if she were truly a nut case, she would be as competitive as she is, even with Braley's shortcomings.

Oh, I am the one that is Godless, not you. Don't be so hard on yourself!  Smiley

I love these standards you have for your precious Republicans.  Talk about grading on a curve.

Just because someone doesn't belong in the psych ward doesn't mean we should to elect them to the US Senate.  Honestly, it should be enough that her policies are cuckoo bonkers.  You should really cut an ad for Joni Ernst:

"Some people accuse Joni Ernst of having crazy policies ideas because she's a crazy person.  FACT:  She has never been hospitalized with a mental illness.  Joni Ernst only has crazy ideas because she's a simpleton from a God-damn farm who doesn't know any better.  So vote Ernst this November, her insane ideas are only insane because she's a stupid yokel like you, the Iowan voter."

Oh no, someone doesn't stand with you on principle, time to claim they have a mental illness, instead of them not agreeing with you on principle when it comes to your core beliefs.

This country is great because we can debate about things like abolishing the EPA (not a terrible idea to shrink government assuming some functions would be merged into other departments), whether there were WMDs in Iraq (there were, ask the New York Times this week; we can dicker over whether they were "inert" or not), and personhood (reasonable people can see things differently on abortion).

Instead, it's very easy to call someone who leads in Iowa in most polls crazy and move on.

Whatever makes you feel good. The intolerance of those with red icons on here though is maddening at times.

I think you missed my point.  I think if we're dissecting why someone has "eccentric" views on political issues, the part that matters is the bad policy, not whether the candidate is stupid or mentally  ill or whatever.

Personally, I find the far-right wing of the Republican Party radical, extreme and crazy.  Maybe you disagree and that's fine.  But, make no mistake, Joni Ernst is a far right-wing conspiracy theorist candidate.  That might be mainstream in today's Republican Party, but that doesn't legitimize her in any way.  True, she might actually win, I would give her almost a 50% chance of winning.  That's only an indictment of how messed up our political system is in 2014.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2014, 09:20:09 PM by bedstuy »

I think you missed my point.  I think if we're dissecting why someone has "eccentric" views on political issues, the part that matters is the bad policy, not whether the candidate is stupid or mentally  ill or whatever.

Personally, I find the far-right wing of the Republican Party radical, extreme and crazy.  Maybe you disagree and that's fine.  But, make no mistake, Joni Ernst is a far right-wing conspiracy theorist candidate.  That might be mainstream in today's Republican Party, but that doesn't legitimize her in any way.  True, she might actually win, I would give her almost a 50% chance of winning.  That's only an indictment of how messed up our political system is in 2014.

I find the far-right and far-left as necessary in the grand scheme of the political process. Differing viewpoints challenge traditional thinking, lead to a healthy debate on the issues and in some events enact positive change for the country.

I hardly would label Ernst as a far right-wing conspiracy theorist. I would not indict Michelle Bachmann as either crazy or evil. They serve their purpose in the political process as much as Alan Greyson and Elizabeth Warren do on the far-left.

It's one thing to call a candidate's policies "crazy" or "bonkers." But to call a candidate with differing beliefs "crazy" because you don't believe in their policies crosses the line.

I would call Elizabeth Warren center-left.  She's pretty moderate.   But, that's neither here nor there. We can throw around labels all day long, but who really cares? 

When I call Joni Ernst a conspiracy theorist, it's because she believes in the Tea Party's "Agenda 21" conspiracy theory.  When I call her radical, I'm referring to things like shutting down the EPA.  And, I wouldn't want a Democratic conspiracy theorist who was ranting and raving about chemtrails and fluoride either.  I just want smart, informed, rational people in government.  A good example of that from the Iowa Republican Party is Jim Leach, he would have been a reasonable choice.  Joni Ernst is an unreasonable choice.  That's just my take, maybe we drastically disagree on policy and who ought to serve in Congress.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies