The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:39:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 194148 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: April 20, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »

Perhaps most telling though is the collapse of the Atlasian left as a cohesive unit.  The DA and RPP look to have turned Atlasia into the closest thing to a two party system we have ever seen.

Don't get too confident about that.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1001 on: April 20, 2009, 10:25:55 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2009, 10:28:07 AM by Verily »

So I win Smiley

But SPC doesn't Sad

It seems like a pattern is occuring, one party does great one cycle then they lose it the next.  The NLC won a lot of seats, then not only did they fail to retain them, but they were pretty much put in oblivion.  The RPP won 2 seats last time when no one thought they could, and we only won one this time.

Perhaps most telling though is the collapse of the Atlasian left as a cohesive unit.  The DA and RPP look to have turned Atlasia into the closest thing to a two party system we have ever seen.

The most amusing part of this is the implication that the left has ever been cohesive or organized in Atlasia. They win seats despite, not because of, the lack of organization.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1002 on: April 20, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »

...anyone want to have a look at the list of Bacon King first preference voters? The same thing has been going on for about 8 pages...should've been glaring...

typo...as stated, the second BK should be gporter.
Doesn't affect the count.
My typo, btw.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1003 on: April 20, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »

Damn, so my little tactical-based-on-count-at-the-time game actually knocked Lief out. Sad
Sorry!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1004 on: April 20, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »

Damn, so my little tactical-based-on-count-at-the-time game actually knocked Lief out. Sad
Sorry!

I'm expecting the next race to see 90% of people turn out in the last 5 minutes Smiley There is certainly a case for a secret ballot.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1005 on: April 20, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2009, 12:47:18 PM by Senator Lief »

Sorry!

I'm expecting the next race to see 90% of people turn out in the last 5 minutes Smiley There is certainly a case for a secret ballot.

Maybe, but I think the race would have been much less exciting with secret ballots. And, in the current system, there are advantages to voting early as well, as there is something of a bandwagon effect and your early votes will decide who the later voters support, if they're voting tactically.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1006 on: April 20, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »

Sorry!

Yeah - anybody who picks up too many votes early gets few votes later on. It's happened every time (though never twice in quite the same way).

Sorry!

Maybe, but I think the race would have been much less exciting with secret ballots. And, in the current system, there are advantages to voting early as well, as their is something of a bandwagon effect and your early votes will decide who the later voters support, if they're voting tactically.
It's there (especially with more candidates, it would be), but it's less strong.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1007 on: April 20, 2009, 12:47:16 PM »

Sorry!

Yeah - anybody who picks up too many votes early gets few votes later on. It's happened every time (though never twice in quite the same way).

Yeah - that's why I targeted voters in 'waves'. I suppose with a secret ballot, it becomes less exciting. Perhaps with an optional secret ballot, and only having one half of the picture it might be even more interesting Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1008 on: April 20, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »

We had such an amendment up a couple of months ago. The voters didn't want it (actually, they were evenly divided on it, but that's not enough to pass amendments. Although I may be confusing it with another amendment).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1009 on: April 20, 2009, 01:09:04 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2009, 01:21:18 PM by Senator Franzl »

I voted against the secret ballot back then...but I'm kind of torn on the issue.

In principle, I would probably regard a secret ballot as a fairer system, but it would take away the fun and excitement, as Lief mentioned....that's ultimately the reason I opposed it originally.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1010 on: April 20, 2009, 01:14:40 PM »

Bring in a secret ballot and Atlasia dies. Lose elections and you're left with a small core group making irrelevant posts in the senate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1011 on: April 20, 2009, 01:19:01 PM »

I will veto any attempt at bringing the secret ballot to Atlasia when I'm President again.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1012 on: April 20, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »

Bring in a secret ballot and Atlasia dies. Lose elections and you're left with a small core group making irrelevant posts in the senate.
I agree with the second sentence, o/c.

If we weren't talking optional secrecy (and secrecy only while the vote lasts, too), I'd even agree with the first one.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1013 on: April 20, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »

Yes, this should serve as a reminder that elections are, always have been and should continue to be the heart of this game.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1014 on: April 20, 2009, 02:40:15 PM »

I will veto any attempt at bringing the secret ballot to Atlasia when I'm President again.
Hmmm.... I'm tempted to vote for you. I'd like to see a President veto an Amendment. Cheesy
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1015 on: April 20, 2009, 03:32:16 PM »

SPC's vote deletion seems to have done as intended, throwing the seat away from himself to DWTL.

A great shame actually.

It is, SPC was one of my fav Senators.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1016 on: April 20, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »

I'm sure many of you wishing SPC well won't have the same thoughts if he chooses to challenge HW
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1017 on: April 20, 2009, 05:43:49 PM »

I'm sure many of you wishing SPC well won't have the same thoughts if he chooses to challenge HW

I hadn't even thought of that.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1018 on: April 20, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »

I hadn't even thought of that.
It is my job as chairman to hope Tongue
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1019 on: April 20, 2009, 06:35:51 PM »

I'm hoping that he doesnt. Perhaps he will consider running for President, I'm sure he'd get a pretty high preference from me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1020 on: April 20, 2009, 06:53:47 PM »

Hmmm.... I'm tempted to vote for you. I'd like to see a President veto an Amendment. Cheesy

Does it require an amendment? If it does, I'll fit against it.  Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1021 on: April 20, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »

A very interesting election. Its a shame I have been to busy on real-life matters to focus any time on this part of the forum. Thats about to change. Shame to see SPC go, he was one of my favorites as well. 
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #1022 on: April 20, 2009, 09:58:29 PM »

Even if he were to run againest me I would still wish SPC well.  Though we of course are ideologically very different I do have alot of respect for his passion and for his general respect for others.  Even were I to lose a Senate race to him I would still be proud to go down to a capable Atlasian.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1023 on: April 20, 2009, 10:33:25 PM »

Wow, it seems after my defeat, I'm gotten the most praise since I joined Atlasia. Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #1024 on: April 20, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »

Wow, it seems after my defeat, I'm gotten the most praise since I joined Atlasia. Tongue

Well, I'm willing to buck the trend.

Your attempts at legislating in the Senate have been embarrassing and the fact that your colleagues find it necessary to work out some sort of 'compromise' with many of these ideas rather than rejecting them outright has certainly been unfortunate.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies