Game Moderator Replacement Bill (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:58:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Game Moderator Replacement Bill (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game Moderator Replacement Bill (Law'd)  (Read 7913 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: May 09, 2009, 10:47:35 PM »

I support this.  We after all do need an active Game Moderator to make the post effective.

I suspect you'll need more than that...
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:03:01 AM »

I'm just curious as to what constitutional justification the Senate would have to pass this bill?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »

This legislative body derives its powers from Article I, Section 5 of the Atlasian Constitution. My question to this bill's proponents: which clause of this section allows us the authority to regulate the role of Game Moderator? I would prefer we not pass an unconstitutional bill here.

We're not regulating the role of the Game Moderator, but adding a way in which the Game Moderator may be removed. There is precedent for this:

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/GM_Act

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't see any reason that the Senate should not have the power to modify these guidelines, considering it was the Senate that passed the current rules as well.

Because the Senate did not have the power to codify such regulations to begin with.

Any Senate regulation of the GM position would have to be considered unconstitutional (see Sam Spade vs. Ebowed).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »

I am pretty sure the GM isn't in the Constitution at all? It was a position established by the Senate and, as such, can be regulated by the Senate. The power to create is the power to destroy.

No.

The GM is mentioned in the Constitution, but certainly not anywhere regarding the powers of the Senate.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »

All it says is that the President has power to appoint the GM, not the Senate.

I can assure you that is not where the GM is mentioned in the Constitution...

You've been a useless GM anyways so this will be passed and you can challange it if you want and hopefully in the end you can go back to doing nothing without an official position.

*hugs*
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 10:21:53 PM »

I'll change my vote to Aye, as Senator Purple State has assured me that he believes that there is a strong case to be made in favor of this bill's constitutionality.

Given that he does not know where the GM is actually mentioned in the constitution, and he is calling this bill constitutional on the basis that the Senate has previously expanded its power in this area before without constitutional justification, I would seriously question that.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:30:02 PM »

Why would I need to bring a court case?  Given that this bill is unconstitutional, as proven by the fact that you just introduced a constitutional amendment to ALLOW this bill... lol.

I'm sorry, but come on.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:52:23 PM »

Purple State, I don't know where you keep getting this 'precedent' stuff from.  There is no precedent that the Senate has the power to remove any presidential appointee, except through impeachment.

I suggest you check up on one of the court cases already regarding this matter...
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 02:32:19 AM »

The GM has nothing to do with the President. It is not a position regarding policy or legislation. It is like the game's intelligent designer. Nothing in the Constitution gives the President the power to simply pick that person. Shouldn't the people, who we represent, have more of a say in who this person is? The Senate should appoint a GM, have the power to remove that GM, etc.

As written by the Supreme Court:

"Even when the officials do not belong to the executive branch (for example, judges), the President is responsible for their appointment. The only exception to this principle is that the legislative branch appoints its own officers. However, this exception is not relevant here; the Game Moderator is clearly not a legislative officer like the President pro tempore."

How exactly do you hope to get 10 people to appoint 1 person, btw?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies