California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:48:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 67045 times)
Zedonathin2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: October 01, 2023, 10:40:20 PM »

Election Twitter is in a state of complete anarchy right now over the whole Butler appointment
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1151 on: October 01, 2023, 10:40:26 PM »

The Rs campaign on the Southern Strategy anyways and Trump made this the center piece of the Obama Birther movement along with Palin and Rev Wright in 2008, the D party is the blk and Brown party
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1152 on: October 01, 2023, 10:43:15 PM »

I wonder if her being the President of EMILY’s List makes it less likely she runs, since she might just want to go back to a cushy behind-the-scenes role when her 13 months are up.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1153 on: October 01, 2023, 10:54:10 PM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1154 on: October 01, 2023, 11:13:32 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2023, 11:27:15 PM by Oryxslayer »

I will say, if I was in her shoes, I wouldn't run in the general election.  Mostly cause California is one of if not the most expensive state in the nation when campaigning statewide. She is unknown to 95% of residents, and somehow you need to both introduce and convince several million to choose you over the other Dems. And the other Dems have sizable war chests and built in brands.

And you have a immediatly established residency issue. It's the hot new thing, every Senate seat needs someone running from out of state now. Tongue Carpetbagging matters less in the Southwest than in the Midwest, one sees significantly more arrivals from out of state than the other. But when your name recognition is zilch, immediately entering a race with such an issue seems suicidal.  That's just asking the established candidate with millions in their warchests to make the one thing people know about you is that you are not a real Californian and don't understand Californian issues.

Obviously,  all this could be solved with a LOT of money. But Emily's List should and does have bigger and established priorities in competitive districts. Flushing a large chunk of their warchest in safe D California when 2/3 potential successors are also women seems unwise. Far more sounder to use the new position to increase intake and outflow to the necessary candidates,  a number of whom are in SoCal swing seats.

But I'm me and Butler's herself.  She can do what she thinks to be her prerogative. Maybe she "runs" but actually doesn't run and just uses the campaign for fundraising.  We'll all know in 18 hours max.

But her running would knock Lee out of viability. She would divide at best, or claim in its entirely at worst, the support of African American voters outside of the East Bay. That would remove one of the few legs of Lee's coalition, in a race where any support is necessary versus hypothetically 3 other rivals.  She would take support from Porter and Schiff as well, but they are in a better position to survive such losses, according to polling. Would be more likely if Newsom had a history of being publically spiteful.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1155 on: October 01, 2023, 11:14:27 PM »

So Newsom endears himself to Labor, Women, and the LGBT probably ending slightly disfavored to even with black voters, and pissing of progressives and labor.

We’ll see how this plays out.

This progressive is perfectly happy.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1156 on: October 01, 2023, 11:18:01 PM »

So Newsom endears himself to Labor, Women, and the LGBT probably ending slightly disfavored to even with black voters, and pissing of progressives and labor.

How is he endearing himself to labor and pissing them off at the same time?
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #1157 on: October 01, 2023, 11:25:04 PM »

Official Newsom announcement:

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1158 on: October 01, 2023, 11:25:52 PM »

How is he endearing himself to labor and pissing them off at the same time?

Typo :/
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1159 on: October 01, 2023, 11:28:09 PM »

Lol I was offline for most of the day and missed this drama.

My only major thoughts are that it was always clear to me that he can't force his appointment to be a caretaker if they don't want to be one, and it would have been wrong of Newsom to appoint a current primary candidate, since they'd gain a literal incumbency advantage.

Is that contradictory? /shrug/
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1160 on: October 01, 2023, 11:46:24 PM »

To be very honest, People were kinda grossly overestimating the requirments that the Apointee needed. He could have found a NGO leader or an academic with a solid record of being a partisan democrat, and some significant achievement to appoint.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1161 on: October 01, 2023, 11:52:01 PM »

Pretty deftly handled by Newsom. I’m impressed.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1162 on: October 01, 2023, 11:53:03 PM »

Endorsement space:

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1163 on: October 02, 2023, 12:16:40 AM »

Yeah the more I hear the more I don't like it, I would take Schiff over her at this point
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1164 on: October 02, 2023, 12:43:37 AM »

I honestly hope Barbara Lee wins the race. Schiff is too obssessed with Trump and Porter is an annoying karen. Lee was also against giving Bush war powers after 9/11 and voted against the Patriot act.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1165 on: October 02, 2023, 01:04:30 AM »

To be very honest, People were kinda grossly overestimating the requirments that the Apointee needed. He could have found a NGO leader or an academic with a solid record of being a partisan democrat, and some significant achievement to appoint.

He certainly could have found someone who is both more qualified and more of a Californian than his pick and who doesn't seem to have endorsed in the race. Like Leondra Kruger.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1166 on: October 02, 2023, 01:31:38 AM »

Wow, that's a choice that was completely off my radar. But Newsome handled this pretty well and has yet proven again he's a force people should keep watching.

The interesting question now is whether Butler will actually run. I could imagine she ends up doing so. Then I might reconsider my support for Schiff. Perhaps other candidates would even start dropping out. Schiff and Porter still can go back running for their House seats again. We'll see.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1167 on: October 02, 2023, 05:09:53 AM »

The fact that he chose someone so off the radar and who wasn’t already a candidate makes me think he was thinking the same thing I was: appoint someone who would promise not to run in the general election so they can stay in Washingotn and focus on the job due to the Democrats’ slim Senate majority. If she was spending all her time back in California campaigning for the seat, then we’re right back where we were when Feinstein was gone all the time and the Republicans could hold up judicial nominations.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1168 on: October 02, 2023, 07:50:56 AM »

Barbara Lee and her allies really played themselves with this one. Their PR campaign to bully Newsom was clearly misguided.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1169 on: October 02, 2023, 08:21:13 AM »

Huh that’s cool:

An endorsement from Yashar Ali isn’t the biggest vote of confidence.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #1170 on: October 02, 2023, 08:38:42 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2023, 08:43:02 AM by coloradocowboi »

This progressive is perfectly happy.

Most in the state aren’t. But they already hated Newsom.

At the end of the day, anybody progressive and intelligent will see through this ruse. He appointed a corporate lobbyist and carpetbagger so he could let Black women have the “representation” he thinks they deserve for a few months. The only people benefiting from this appointment are Gavin Newsom and the corporate interests that have propped up his career.

Barbara Lee and her allies really played themselves with this one. Their PR campaign to bully Newsom was clearly misguided.

This is straight up absurd. How do you bully your own governor? Maybe that word means something completely divorced from its real definition to you.

At any rate, pointing out the hypocrisy of claiming to value Black women’s political representation while appointing one only as a caretaker isn’t bullying so much as stating the obvious. This is giving me Hillary 2016 level white self-victimization. “Omg the mean Black people want more than a year of political representation”! How dare they
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #1171 on: October 02, 2023, 09:12:07 AM »

How anybody thought Barbara Lee ever had a viable path to the Senate is something that ought be studied by scientists. Her biggest issues since February are low name recognition compared to the normie dem darlings that are Adam Schiff and Katie Porter, her being out-funded compared to Porter and Schiff ($1,000,000 BL, $10,000,000 KP, $29,000,000 AS), and of course her ripe young of 77 (soon to be 78 in 2024, and would be 84 in 2030), she would’ve beaten out Peter Welch as the oldest freshman in the history of the Senate, which after Feinstein’s death isn’t a title anyone should want
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1172 on: October 02, 2023, 09:32:50 AM »

How anybody thought Barbara Lee ever had a viable path to the Senate is something that ought be studied by scientists. Her biggest issues since February are low name recognition compared to the normie dem darlings that are Adam Schiff and Katie Porter, her being out-funded compared to Porter and Schiff ($1,000,000 BL, $10,000,000 KP, $29,000,000 AS), and of course her ripe young of 77 (soon to be 78 in 2024, and would be 84 in 2030), she would’ve beaten out Peter Welch as the oldest freshman in the history of the Senate, which after Feinstein’s death isn’t a title anyone should want

Yup. I'm not even convinced she would have won with Newsom making the appointment.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1173 on: October 02, 2023, 09:36:31 AM »

Yup. I'm not even convinced she would have won with Newsom making the appointment.

This appointment isn't about race, it's about age, it takes away the argument that Rs have about Biden being too old, and Trump is 77 just like Lee, Newsom was very aware of the R complaining about Biden ages

It will be gradually show up in the polls positive for Biden

They did the Rs the samething with LBJ and he was too old but he had Heart problems and smoked like my Grandma did and Died and the Rs nominated Ronald Reagan

Any D would win it's a runoff
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1174 on: October 02, 2023, 09:44:01 AM »

Like I have said earlier in the thread, her campaign gives the vibes (at least personally) of someone for whom winning would just be a surprising bonus. No offense to anyone voting for her, in fact, keep voting for her. That's your call. The point to me though seems to be retirement with dignity. Which itself is not an uncommon motivator. As long as a losing candidate doesn't get blown out, they still have the time and money to make their appeal. That raises awareness to one's issues, and could change the narrative on certain things the winning candidates have to follow. It also will build a contact list for those who follow in your footsteps.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies