TX-28 primary (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:31:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-28 primary (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for / Who will win?
Rodriguez / Rodriguez

Rodriguez / Cuellar

Cuellar / Rodriguez

Cuellar / Cuellar

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: TX-28 primary  (Read 20367 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: March 05, 2006, 08:37:05 PM »

It's this Tuesday.

Cuellar is the DINO incumbent.  Rodriguez is a former Congressman narrowly defeated by Cuellar in the 2004 primary.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 04:59:23 PM »

I hope Cueller wins Smiley. Culler is possibly the one Texas Democrat who could win statewide, in an open seat, yet he is derided for being a DINO Roll Eyes. The Democrats need a few more of his sort, might control Congress if they did

Dave

A lot of good controlling Congress would do if it depended on people like him. Of course we whould take him down, the Bush lover will probably switch parties. No Democrat should support a Bush lover like Cuellar.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 01:19:32 AM »

I hope Cueller wins Smiley. Culler is possibly the one Texas Democrat who could win statewide, in an open seat, yet he is derided for being a DINO Roll Eyes. The Democrats need a few more of his sort, might control Congress if they did

Dave

A lot of good controlling Congress would do if it depended on people like him. Of course we whould take him down, the Bush lover will probably switch parties. No Democrat should support a Bush lover like Cuellar.

Have you actually bothered to look at the 2005 NJ ratings? You can see how 'unified' to a point the Democratic Caucus is. The only Democrat who comes out with a higher conservative rating than he does liberal is Gene Taylor of Mississippi, and even he's fallen into line on key votes. Cueller scores 56% liberal/44% conservative. In other words, he's pretty centrist or something of a moderate liberal populist perhaps

You are just so unbelievably blinkered. We're talking Texas not Massachusetts or liberal urban enclaves

Dave

Let's see, we have a real Democrat who was Congressman as recently as 2004 running against this DINO in the primary, and there's no Republican running in the general election. You support for the DINO shows that you'd rather have a Bush kissing anti-worker bastard who was endorsed by the Club for Growth in this seat than a real Demcorat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 04:39:52 PM »

Main worry if Cueller loses is what he does next. Think about it; defections have not exactly been rare in Texas politics and just because the GOP doesn't really exist in south Texas doesn't mean that it will *never* exist down there...

This  Bush loving DINO is in danger of switching parties regardless. Hopefully Texans are better at deciding who is a Democrat than Georgians. No, Zell Miller is not a Democrat, you idiots.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 04:46:28 PM »

I've taken a look at Cueller. He seems to have a pretty mixed record when it comes to being pro-business or pro-labor. Lefties are, indeed, targetting him, however. Ideally, however, no elected representative should be in hoc to interest groups, they should be accountable to their electorate and those alone

I happen to think he'll make a good statewide candidate, which scores brownie points with me. Nor do I see that in order to be pro-labor you necessarily have to be anti-business or vice versa

Therefore, I'm sticking with Cueller. I don't think Rodrigues is a viable statewide candidate, while Cueller could, at least, emerge as a serious Senate contender, unless he's stopped in his tracks in the Democratic primary

Furthermore, given the Hispanic shift towards the GOP in 2004, shouldn't Democrats be playing it safe, especially in Texas. I suspect Al is right, it's only a matter of time before the Republicans become more established in southern Texas

Dave

Sad, you no longer have the excuse of the moderate being the most electable, seeing as the more liberal candidate was Congressman for 6 years, while the more conservative candidate only won in 2004. This conservative is a Bush loving DINO. I guess you aren't much of a Democrat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:36:05 PM »

Bush's man date at the 2006 State of the Union.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 07:33:47 PM »

Cuellar/Cuellar -I recognize a kindred spirit when I see one.  Tongue

So you want to kiss Bush too?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 08:26:50 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2006, 08:28:41 PM by jfern »

he's more socially liberal than he is economically liberal. I'd have thought that would have pleased you

Since when have libertarian leaning DINOs pleased me? And actually, he's not really libertarian leaning. He has only 16% Progressive Punch on Family planning.

Chet Edwards (who is in a 69% Bush district) is more liberal.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 08:35:04 PM »

There could easily be a runoff.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 08:47:08 PM »

he's more socially liberal than he is economically liberal. I'd have thought that would have pleased you

Since when have libertarian leaning DINOs pleased me? And actually, he's not really libertarian leaning. He has only 16% Progressive Punch on Family planning.

You don't seem to like populists much either

Dave

I just don't like Bush loving DINOs. This bastard endorsed the worst President ever both times.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 08:47:51 PM »

Results are starting to come in:

Rodriguez 48
Cuellar 43
Morales 9

(with 1% of precints reporting)

http://204.65.107.70/dem1race5.htm

So far just early voting.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 09:26:42 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2006, 09:32:03 PM by jfern »

Dave

I just don't like Bush loving DINOs. This bastard endorsed the worst President ever both times.

Hell, that's more than I would have done. As president's go, Bush is bottom drawer. I've just never thought him up to the job

I still think Cueller is statewide material, though. And, as of now, the House Democratic Caucus seems united on key votes

I'm gonna stop up a while and watch this primary play out. I hope the party doesn't lose a guy who could very well be a viable Senate candidate a few years down the line. I genuinely would like to see Democrats gain ground in southern states; though I certainly don't want them running to the right of the GOP

Dave

Chet Edwards is more liberal than this guy, and he is in a 69% Bush district. Cuellar is a useless Bush supporting DINO. 

While it was a different district, Rodriguez won 71-27 in 2002. Your argument has been destroyed.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 10:23:35 PM »

Dave

Hell, that's more than I would have done. As president's go, Bush is bottom drawer. I've just never thought him up to the job

I still think Cueller is statewide material, though. And, as of now, the House Democratic Caucus seems united on key votes

I'm gonna stop up a while and watch this primary play out. I hope the party doesn't lose a guy who could very well be a viable Senate candidate a few years down the line. I genuinely would like to see Democrats gain ground in southern states; though I certainly don't want them running to the right of the GOP

Dave

Chet Edwards is more liberal than this guy, and he is in a 69% Bush district. Cuellar is a useless Bush supporting DINO. 

While it was a different district, Rodriguez won 71-27 in 2002. Your argument has been destroyed.

My argument is that, one day, Cueller has a fair shot at the Senate because he isn't someone who'd go down in flames with the the 'liberal' tag. Texas is not a liberal state. End of. Him losing this primary could very well scupper that possibility. If Cueller were to run for the Senate and lose, then yes my argument will have been destroyed. I'm just sorry Cueller didn't knock-out Henry Bonilla in CD-23 back in 2002

Out of interest, any one know how D-28 broke in the 2004 Presidential?

Dave

Rodriguez has done a lot better in Texas Congressional general elections that Cuellar has ever.  What part of that don't you understand? Also, we have someone more liberal than Cuellar, Chet Edwards, who manages to survive in a 69% Bush district.

You have not addressed any of my points. It's clear that you would rather have a Bush supporter than a real Democrat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 10:45:25 PM »

51% of Precincts Reporting

Rodriguez 56
Cuellar 37
Morales 7

This isn't looking good although I'm not sure which precincts are reporting.

Webb County has still reported nothing.  That's the county to watch for.

Kerry carried it 57-43 which makes me think it would be friendly towards Rodriguez.

Webb County (Laredo area) is Cuellar's home base (along with Zapata County).

He pulled 85% of the vote from there in 2004.

All being well, he'll get it again. If he holds on, it will be remarkable. He's been heavily targetted, so much so the odds seem stacked against him

Dave

But this was supposed to be "a one day story", and he has the backing of the Club for growth, and of course Republicans. He'd be completely toast if it wasn't for the fact that this is an open primary.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »

Nothing in from Webbe yet. Is Webbe the most populous county?

Dave

Webb has Diebold electronic vote stealing machines.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 11:00:12 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2006, 11:02:58 PM by jfern »

Nothing in from Webbe yet. Is Webbe the most populous county?

Dave

Bexar County is the most populous part of the CD, I'm pretty sure.  And it's almost done reporting at present (87 precincts out of 102).  Once it gets done, I'll try and compare the numbers to 2004, when Rodriguez won 80% of the county.

We're probably headed for a runoff, but I really can't tell until Webb reports and I look at turnout.

Thanks Smiley. Who would Morales endorse should it make a run-off?

Dave

I'm guessing Rodriguez, like most Democrats have done. Although appearantly he's a joke candidate who doesn't live in the district.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 11:06:38 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2006, 11:08:31 PM by jfern »

Damn, the Republicans and DINOs must be mobilized. Cuellar ran much better in Frio and McMullen counties this time then 2004.  Hays county is about the same. Looks like the Republicans will retain this seat. I wonder if this DINO will switch parties.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 11:11:21 PM »

This is the problem with open primaries. Dave actually thinks this guy is a Democrat. Rodriguez has gotten many endorsements from Democratic Congressmen, whom I assume would know a lot better than Dave what a real Democrat is.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 11:23:36 PM »

This is the problem with open primaries. Dave actually thinks this guy is a Democrat. Rodriguez has gotten many endorsements from Democratic Congressmen, whom I assume would know a lot better than Dave what a real Democrat is.

Is there some absolutist notion as to what constitutes a real Democrat?

Dave

This Bush lover sure isn't.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 11:25:05 PM »

Pro-DINO swing in Guadalupe county. Thanks to this being an open primary, it's basically equivalent to a general election between a Democrat, a Republican, and this Morales guy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 11:29:12 PM »

News Flash from the Laredo Morning Times:

http://www.lmtonline.com/site/news.asp?brd=2290

Voting woes

Because of a technical difficulty, results from the Democratic and Republican primaries have been delayed.

The machine built to read the personal electronic ballots was incorrectly programmed, and as a result the votes must be extracted from flash cards attached to each machine.

Officials with the Webb County Elections Administration were unsure Tuesday how long the delay would last.

Thanks, Diebold!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 11:33:27 PM »

In news from other districts, Tom DeLay is projected to win his primary Sad

And hopefully, he'll be out on his arse come November. Wonder if jfern will concur with me on his one Smiley ?

What I will say is that these House primaries have pitiful turnouts. I can't say the ones for governor or senator are any better, from what I've seen

Dave

DeLay's supporters came out in force for him. Curroption isn't a negative in Texas.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2006, 12:22:57 AM »

Bush's man date at the 2006 State of the Union.

You know, the gay jokes do tend to get old.  Politicians touch eachother.  Ooh!

You're old?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 02:09:45 AM »

Final update before I go to bed:

84% Reporting

Cuellar 47.9%
Rodriguez 45.3%
Morales 6.8%

Damn DINO will probably avoid a runoff.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 02:16:51 AM »

Intersting bit from Ciro.  He's predicting a run-off but his statement almost sounds like a concession:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/3/8/14550/06793

People on that thread don't seem to realize that the DINO has likely won.

Texas is a joke, defeating a good man like Rodriguez in 2004, and defeating him again now, all while DeLay easily wins his nomination.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies