PA - ABC/WaPo: Biden+9 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:26:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  PA - ABC/WaPo: Biden+9 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA - ABC/WaPo: Biden+9  (Read 4149 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 28, 2020, 11:06:22 PM »

Another high quality polling outfit today appears to confirm the Biden +9% just like the NYT / Siena poll from earlier today....

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 11:12:13 PM »

"Regionally, Biden’s ahead by 69-31 percent in the Philadelphia suburbs, compared with
Clinton’s 55-42 percent there four years ago. Biden’s also improved on Clinton’s result in
western Pennsylvania, while the race in the state’s other regions are more similar to what it was
four years ago. "

Trumps getting a romping in the philly burbs

How are those Philly suburban numbers possible?

Is there something big going on in Bucks County?

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 12:27:08 AM »

"Regionally, Biden’s ahead by 69-31 percent in the Philadelphia suburbs, compared with
Clinton’s 55-42 percent there four years ago. Biden’s also improved on Clinton’s result in
western Pennsylvania, while the race in the state’s other regions are more similar to what it was
four years ago. "

Trumps getting a romping in the philly burbs

How are those Philly suburban numbers possible?

Is there something big going on in Bucks County?

Yeah, 69-31 seems a little far fetched to me. 60-40 would be a bit more realistic.

Why isn't this hard to believe? if Biden is actually leading by nine, it makes sense he is putting up Wolf margins in some areas, falling a bit behind Wolf in others, and then failing to match him and just keeping level with Clinton in the reddest regions. That's what the crosstabs suggest.

Fair enough...

Still:

1.) 2018 was an off-year election (50k less Total Voters in Bucks County alone for example), and as we know DEMs turned out generally at higher levels in Northern Suburbs than Republicans.

2.) It is true that 2018 was a bit of an indicator of increasing swings among Suburban Northern voters, even in places which did not experience the +12-15% Obama > HRC swings in '16, suggesting that there remains quite a bit of room for DEMs to expand in this type of terrain.

3.) Sure 3rd Party '16 GE PRES voters will likely tend to vote overwhelmingly Biden in '20, with the exception of perhaps of Mormon Voters in places with McMullin on the ballot or write-in ballots accepted.

4.) Still--- Gubernatorial elections tend to have different dynamics than PRES elections so I'm still not totally sold on the Biden 2:1 in the Philly 'burbs (but open to the possibility).

5.) It is entirely plausible that Biden might also be significantly benefiting from basically having lived across the Delaware River, and likely quite well known and respected within the Philly 'burbs, not as "Scranton Joe", but rather as "Delaware Joe"...

6.) Again I could see these types of margins in DelCo and MontCo, or even certainly large swings in Chester County....

Still a 2:1 Biden number in the Philly 'Burbs would also indicate that Biden is winning comfortably in Bucks County, which was basically tied in '12 and '16 and +8% Obama in '08...

Now it could be that because Bucks County didn't really move at all in '16, that once the dam bursts it breaks hard in 2020...

Open to the possibility, but it still seems a bit higher than one might imagine...   (Of course back in '16 many on Atlas were claiming that HRC would win PA by huge margins simply because of suburban Philly, despite early indicators of major drop-offs in NE and Western PA--- so naturally I would caution against assumptions regarding polling numbers from suburban PA simply because of one poll)....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 12:55:39 AM »

WaPo was among the largest errors in 2016.

Their last poll was Clinton +4 and Clinton won the popular vote by 2.1 points. Large error?

Their national poll in 2016 is irrelevent to state polling comparison.

Their last Pennsylvania poll was +6 (46-40) which was off by 7, the average error was 3 for the state.

538 and RCP have no evidence of a Washington Post poll in PA.

It's on Atlas--is it there in error? If not then I have a hard time believing it won't be closer than this.

They were Survey Monkey polls. I'm guessing 538 and RCP did not include them for that reason.

So I tried to search for this in the archives in my Washington Post account, and honestly it is an unimaginable search engine when it comes to pulling up archival data (maybe I just need a proper tutorial)...

Still I would imagine anyone currently attending a College or University likely has free access to Lexisnexis free as part of your tuition (as I did in Grad School), and all Washington Post articles going back decades and decades should be available in at minimum a text-based format... Wink
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 01:35:14 AM »

WaPo was among the largest errors in 2016.

If Biden is really is over 50 percent in PA
All the polling errors in world will still not be enough to save Trump lol

Casablanca Movie Rip Off quote:  "Of all of the polling errors in all the world, he had to walk into mine"   Wink

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies