Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:32:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 344468 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 19, 2021, 09:16:53 PM »

I don't live in Virginia but I might be tempted to vote for Youngkin depending on how the legislature plays out. What I'm more worried about is if the state ends up in a republican trifecta.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 04:00:33 PM »

I don't live in Virginia but I might be tempted to vote for Youngkin depending on how the legislature plays out. What I'm more worried about is if the state ends up in a republican trifecta.
Well the state senate isn't up until 2023, so that's the earliest a trifecta can happen unless a Democrat dies, resigns, or switches parties.

nevermind then. Nothing about Youngkin is offputting the way Cucinelli would be. It's hard to compare him to governors in other states since Virginia only allows one term but depending on how he would fare as governor he could either be like Hogan (successful) or Rauner (not as much).
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:00:36 PM »

I feel a lot of people are underestimating youngkin. Don't forget that in 2013/2014, Cucinelli and Gillespie were doing worse in the polls than youngkin is now.

Also, as someone who's politically schizophrenic, I think Youngkin winning might be a good thing. Up until the end of July my big worry was minority rule. While I still want Thomas and Alito to go to ADX Florence - I feel the public health tyranny is the biggest problem in this country. This stuff can't go on forever. And if youngkin promises to get rid of all these mandates/restrictions - then good for him.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 02:40:06 PM »

I feel a lot of people are underestimating youngkin. Don't forget that in 2013/2014, Cucinelli and Gillespie were doing worse in the polls than youngkin is now.

Also, as someone who's politically schizophrenic, I think Youngkin winning might be a good thing. Up until the end of July my big worry was minority rule. While I still want Thomas and Alito to go to ADX Florence - I feel the public health tyranny is the biggest problem in this country. This stuff can't go on forever. And if youngkin promises to get rid of all these mandates/restrictions - then good for him.

We don't currently have any mandates or restrictions in Virginia unless it's a private business asking customers to wear a mask or something, at least not for adults.  I live in Virginia and haven't once had to show proof that I've been vaccinated for any reason ever.  If I go into Starbucks now masks are "recommended" and entirely optional.  Everything else is basically honor code that you're vaccinated or else wear a mask.   School is starting soon and I'm not sure what certain counties are doing on that front. 

As to Youngkin, I can see why you'd think that given how Cucinelli did last time.  However, Virginia is a much different state than it was 7 years or so ago.  Fairfax was trending Dem then but the collar counties around it were still fairly Republican.  Now Loudoun country is extremely diverse and drives up Dem totals.  Richmond suburbs are changing too.  In 2013 VA was a lot more like NC, now it's a lot more like NJ.  Also, quite frankly, Youngkin sucks as a candidate.  He's very unlikable, his ads suck, there's clearly no strategy to his campaign.  He's flailing around.  Candidate quality still matters and he was a poor pick.

a lot of the schools have mask mandates. No more mask mandates or vax mandates.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies